    Is there any web site provide these symbols as web service.

    I tried to store all symbols by hard coding in database but problem is
    everyday some one has to browse the internet and update the database.

    rinki, Sep 23, 2008

  2. rinki

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    rinki wrote:
    > I have to prepare a web application that shows the stock symbols for
    > user as shown exactly in yahoo finance web site i.e
    > if user type 'a' , then all symbols with A should shown up.
    >
    > My query is :
    > Is there any web site provide these symbols as web service.
    >
    > I tried to store all symbols by hard coding in database but problem is
    > everyday some one has to browse the internet and update the database.

    This isn't exactly a Java question, but oh well...

    You probably will have to partner with some company that has that data,
    and it might not be free. You can try scraping Yahoo! Finance or other
    sites that show stock symbols, but make sure you follow all terms of use.

    You might try searching Google for Stock Symbol Web Service. This site
    looks promising <http://www.trynt.com/trynt-stock-symbol-api/>
    It is a look-up, not a listing, but you might be able to talk them into
    providing a listing feed.

    Hope this helps,
    Daniel.

    Daniel Pitts, Sep 24, 2008