    maintenance.

    Go to www.methodsandtools.com/dynpoll/vote.php to participate and to
    see intermediate results.
    martinig, Jun 18, 2007

  2. martinig said:

    > [...] is currently conducting a one-question poll to know
    > What part of your software development budget is devoted to
    > maintenance.

    What part of /your/ software development budget is devoted to
    maintaining C programs?

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
    Richard Heathfield, Jun 18, 2007

  3. "martinig" <> wrote in message
    > Methods & Tools is currently conducting a one-question poll to know
    > What part of your software development budget is devoted to
    > maintenance.
    >
    > Go to www.methodsandtools.com/dynpoll/vote.php to participate and to
    > see intermediate results.

    It is not really meaningful in a research environment.
    When I was a games programmer, none. It is too expensive to try to patch a
    shrink-wrapped game.
    --
    Free games and programming goodies.
    http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm
    Malcolm McLean, Jun 19, 2007
  4. Malcolm McLean said:

    > It is too expensive to try to
    > patch a shrink-wrapped game.

    All the more reason to spend the time writing it properly in the first
    place.

    Richard Heathfield, Jun 20, 2007
  5. "Richard Heathfield" <> wrote in message
    > Malcolm McLean said:
    >
    >> It is too expensive to try to
    >> patch a shrink-wrapped game.

    > All the more reason to spend the time writing it properly in the first
    > place.

    Generally games are an unmaintainable mess. However in the nature of things
    if a game seems to be OK, then it is OK. This constrasts with most software
    where the radiation dose can look plausible, but is in fact either deadly or
    too low to have a therapeutic effect, or the interest calcualtion can look
    about right but in fact will kland you in court.

    Malcolm McLean, Jun 21, 2007
  6. Malcolm McLean said:

    > "Richard Heathfield" <> wrote in message
    >> Malcolm McLean said:
    >>
    >>> It is too expensive to try to
    >>> patch a shrink-wrapped game.

    >> All the more reason to spend the time writing it properly in the
    >> first place.
    >>

    > Generally games are an unmaintainable mess.

    <cough>You say so, man.</cough>

    Richard Heathfield, Jun 21, 2007