    Is this something I can do?

    tia
    ferd

    ferd, Dec 20, 2006

  2. Hello,

    ferd wrote:

    > I've read a few posts about how textareas can't have links or other
    > rendered elements, so I'm wondering how gmail does it and if it's
    > something I can cook up at home. specifically, I'd like to allow the
    > user to type in an entry, very much like typing in this post, and then
    > highlight a chunk of text, click a button and assign a hyperlink to it.

    This is not done using a TEXTAREA. It uses a feature that some browsers
    support (IE, FF, recent versions of Safari and Opera). Basicly any element
    can be turned into an 'HTML WYSIWYG editor' by setting a property
    (contentEditable) with JavaScript.

    > Is this something I can do?

    There are a lot of ready-to-use editors. I'd suggest that you look for one
    that can be easily customized. Throw out all options but the link feature.
    I know that this can be done with HTMLArea (which has been discontinued).

    HTH

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de

    Benjamin Niemann, Dec 21, 2006

  3. ferd

    ferd Guest

    Thank you very much. quick question:

    -any suggestions?

    ferd, Dec 21, 2006
  4. ferd wrote:

    > Benjamin Niemann wrote:
    >
    >> ferd wrote:
    >>
    >> > I've read a few posts about how textareas can't have links or other
    >> > rendered elements, so I'm wondering how gmail does it and if it's
    >> > something I can cook up at home. specifically, I'd like to allow the
    >> > user to type in an entry, very much like typing in this post, and then
    >> > highlight a chunk of text, click a button and assign a hyperlink to it.

    >> This is not done using a TEXTAREA. It uses a feature that some browsers
    >> support (IE, FF, recent versions of Safari and Opera). Basicly any
    >> element can be turned into an 'HTML WYSIWYG editor' by setting a property
    >> (contentEditable) with JavaScript.
    >>
    >> > Is this something I can do?

    >> There are a lot of ready-to-use editors. I'd suggest that you look for
    >> one that can be easily customized. Throw out all options but the link
    >> feature. I know that this can be done with HTMLArea (which has been
    >> discontinued).

    > Thank you very much. quick question:
    >
    > -any suggestions?

    The only one I know is HTMLArea - and it's terribly out of date and no
    longer supported. Fortunately I don't have to work with such things, so I
    can't say which product could replace it. Checkout <http://www.htmlarea.com
    /directory/Web_Software_Components/WYSIWYG_Editors/index.html> (wrapped long
    URL) for a list of possibilities

    P.S.: Please don't top post and don't quote signature.

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de

    Benjamin Niemann, Dec 21, 2006