    Thanks in advance,
    Limin

    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

    Limin Fu, Dec 2, 2004

  2. Limin Fu wrote:
    > Hello,
    > Is there any technical description on internet of how
    > python is designed? Or can somebody give a short
    > description about this? I'm just curious.

    Do you mean the structure and design of the language, or the process of
    designing the language?

    Well, in either case, you'll probably find your answer at http://www.python.org

    Take a look at the Docs -> Language Reference and PEP sections.

    --
    Timo Virkkala

    Timo Virkkala, Dec 2, 2004

  3. Limin Fu

    Terry Reedy Guest

    "Limin Fu" <> wrote in message
    > To clarify, I mean the internal structure and design
    > of python interpreter. Any hint? Thanks.

    Ah... The interpreters (plural) are a separate issue from the language
    itself (a Python program is a list of Python statements, etc). We'll
    presume that you specifically mean the CPython interpreter, as opposed to
    Jython, Viper, Ironman, PyPy, Parrot, or the human brain. For CPython:

    human or other source code generator ==> Python source code

    CPython compile phase:
    lexer ==> tokens
    parser ==> ast tree
    byte code generator ==> byte codes for Python virtual machine
    (see the Lib Ref chapter on the dis module for VM commands)

    CPython runtime phase:
    code evaluator ==> computations
    (see source file ceval.c for the link between byte codes and C
    functions)

    CPython is currently both the reference implementation and the most
    commonly used implementation. Both facts could change in the future,
    possibly even with divergence between the two roles. Since Python is meant
    to be a practical computer language as well as an abstract algorithm
    language (for humans), a reference implementation is needed to show that
    proposed language features can be sensibly implemented.

    Terry J. Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Dec 3, 2004