how is this XML not well-formed???

Discussion in 'XML' started by Rimu Atkinson, Jul 9, 2003.

  1. hi all

    i've been bashing my head against this for some time now, but it just makes
    no sense

    what is wrong with the XML fragment (line 4)?

    1.. <item>
    2.. <title><![CDATA[Gunsmoke]]></title>
    3.. <link>http://whatson.wellington.net.nz/event.php?event=3439</link>
    4.. <description><![CDATA[At Circa. By Jeffrey Thomas Directed by Ray
    Henwood A dark comedy exploring friendship and dependency, about a writer
    with a penchant for pot, and a dealer with a way with
    words. ]]></description>
    5..
    <comments>http://whatson.wellington.net.nz/event.php?event=3439</comments>
    6.. <dc:date>2003-07-09</dc:date>
    7.. </item>
    the validator that i'm using to validate my RSS stream
    (http://feeds.archive.org/validator/check?url=http://whatson.wellingto
    n.net.nz%2Fdailyfeed.php) freaks out on line 4, half-way along the text,
    between the CDATA bits.

    arg??!

    Rimu

    Rimu Atkinson, Jul 9, 2003

  2. Rimu Atkinson

    Peter Flynn Guest

    Rimu Atkinson wrote:
    > hi all
    >
    > i've been bashing my head against this for some time now, but it just makes
    > no sense
    >
    > what is wrong with the XML fragment (line 4)?
    >
    > 1.. <item>
    > 2.. <title><![CDATA[Gunsmoke]]></title>
    > 3.. <link>http://whatson.wellington.net.nz/event.php?event=3439</link>
    > 4.. <description><![CDATA[At Circa. By Jeffrey Thomas Directed by Ray
    > Henwood A dark comedy exploring friendship and dependency, about a writer
    > with a penchant for pot, and a dealer with a way with
    > words. ]]></description>
    > 5..
    > <comments>http://whatson.wellington.net.nz/event.php?event=3439</comments>
    > 6.. <dc:date>2003-07-09</dc:date>
    > 7.. </item>
    > the validator that i'm using

    Unless there is some invisible character buried in your text,
    it might be a bug in your validator.

    But why all those CDATA Marked Sections, when there's nothing
    in them needing it?

    ///Peter

    Peter Flynn, Jul 15, 2003