how javascript is differnet?

Scott Sauyet

Ken said:
Java is to JavaScript as ham is to hamster.

Snort! Gag! "What the hell are you laughing at, Scott?"

Thanks. I finally have the pithy answer I've been looking for for
years!

-- Scott

richard

it might be fun to aswer this one. how are java and javascript
diffeernt?

www.google.com

javascript, as the name implies, is a script that works within the browser
as an addition to the html. Invented by the people that created the old
defunct netscape browser.

Java is an application similar to the way flash works.

Quite frankly, Java is a lost cause as I've only run into a few sites out
of 10,000 that use it.

Gregor Kofler

Am 2011-02-23 22:27, richard meinte:
www.google.com

javascript, as the name implies, is a script that works within the browser
as an addition to the html.

"Is a script"? "That works within the browser"? "Addition to the html"? WTF?
Java is an application similar to the way flash works.

Quite frankly, Java is a lost cause as I've only run into a few sites out
of 10,000 that use it.

Ah "richard"... uttering utter nonsense.

To enlighten you: Java applications can run as applets within webpages,
but frequently Java applications are just that: (desktop) applications.

Gregor

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

P said:
So Java is smoked meat, and JavaScript could eat it? :)

Ham does not need to be smoked, only cooked or cured (which may include
smoking). Hamsters, like most other members of the order Rodentia, are
mostly herbivores; the maximum of meat they would feed off are insects,
but only in the wild.

Besides, those two words were most certainly used because they have little
in common except their initial characters.

PointedEars

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Gregor said:
Am 2011-02-23 22:27, richard meinte:

Ah "richard"... uttering utter nonsense.

As usual. It is hard to believe that this guy is not beyond any help.
To enlighten you: Java applications can run as applets within webpages,
but frequently Java applications are just that: (desktop) applications.

And then there are JavaServer Pages (JSP), see e.g. the "WebE" project at
<http://PointedEars.de/websvn/>.

HTH

PointedEars

RobG

Quite frankly, Java is a lost cause as I've only run into a few sites out
of 10,000 that use it.

Java is used far more widely than web sites. At them moment, where I
am, there is a big demand for Java programmers, .NET work has dried
up.

The demand ebbs and flows between Java and .NET, at the moement it's
Java's turn to be popular.

Bwig Zomberi

richard said:
www.google.com

javascript, as the name implies, is a script that works within the browser
as an addition to the html. Invented by the people that created the old
defunct netscape browser.

JavaScript is a scripting language that runs inside a host such as web
browser, flash viewer, PDF viewer, ASP server...
In that way, Javascript code is made part of web pages, flash, PDF
documents, ASP server-side code...
Java is an application similar to the way flash works.

Quite frankly, Java is a lost cause as I've only run into a few sites out
of 10,000 that use it.

Java is several things - a language, application runtime and a software
development platform.

Evertjan.

Bwig Zomberi wrote on 24 feb 2011 in comp.lang.javascript:
Java is several things - a language, application runtime and a software
development platform.

Primarily it is a bwig, sorry, large island in Indonesia,
were several languages are spoken, like Javanese and Sundanese.

Then there is coffee ... ;-)

Bwig Zomberi

Evertjan. said:
Bwig Zomberi wrote on 24 feb 2011 in comp.lang.javascript:

Primarily it is a bwig, sorry, large island in Indonesia,
were several languages are spoken, like Javanese and Sundanese.

You are correct with Bwig. It was meant to mean big. Zomberi in
Tamil language is a lazy person. I am a big lazy person. I use
this (hopefully) unique moniker to keep track of my ng posts. My
real name is Subhash - www.vsubhash.com.

Evertjan.

Bwig Zomberi wrote on 25 feb 2011 in comp.lang.javascript:
You are correct with Bwig. It was meant to mean big. Zomberi in
Tamil language is a lazy person. I am a big lazy person. I use
this (hopefully) unique moniker to keep track of my ng posts. My
real name is Subhash - www.vsubhash.com.

Sorry, my last contact with the Tamil language was on Sri Lanka in 1975.

Bangalore, I would like to go there!

Some Javanese words, like "pintar" [= smart] are totally accepted in the
Dutch language. However, Javanese != Java != Javascript.

Erwin Moller

Bwig Zomberi wrote on 25 feb 2011 in comp.lang.javascript:
You are correct with Bwig. It was meant to mean big. Zomberi in
Tamil language is a lazy person. I am a big lazy person. I use
this (hopefully) unique moniker to keep track of my ng posts. My
real name is Subhash - www.vsubhash.com.

Sorry, my last contact with the Tamil language was on Sri Lanka in 1975.

Bangalore, I would like to go there!

Some Javanese words, like "pintar" [= smart] are totally accepted in the
Dutch language. However, Javanese != Java != Javascript.

You had me thinking for a sec with "pintar".
Pienter!

Got it now. :)

Regards,
Erwin Moller

Evertjan.

Erwin Moller wrote on 25 feb 2011 in comp.lang.javascript:
Some Javanese words, like "pintar" [= smart] are totally accepted in the
Dutch language. However, Javanese != Java != Javascript.

You had me thinking for a sec with "pintar".
Pienter!

Got it now. :)

The specs are here:

<http://www.salindo.com/bahasa/jawa/javaans-nederlands/p_index.htm>

Remember modern Javanese has three language flavours:
familiar/informal, intermediary and polite/formal,
depending on the status of the speaker,
often haveing total different words for the same thing,
and using the wrong flavour is unthinkable.
The formal form has the subflavours humble and neutral,
where the intermediary form has four, depanding on who you are speaking to.
The subflavours depend on the relative status of who you are speaking to.
Then there are three groups of dialects and there is also Old Javanese from
the 9th c CE, middle Javanese from the 13th c and new Javanese from the
16th c., like Algol, Basic and C+ compare to Javascript.

Javascript also has such flavouring, on for every browser or other
platform. The subflavours here are for if you are programming to please
John, Thomas or anyone else.

btw, there are also Javanese words taken from the Dutch,
like "pit" for bicycle, while "per" for spring is strictly
Indonesian/Malay.

Bwig Zomberi

Evertjan. said:
Bwig Zomberi wrote on 25 feb 2011 in comp.lang.javascript:

Sorry, my last contact with the Tamil language was on Sri Lanka in 1975.

That is all right because the correct Tamil word is "somberi". There
are so many lazy Tamilians already using that. So, I am using Zomberi
with Bwig, which must be very unusual.
Bangalore, I would like to go there!

I've been here exactly four years (today's the date) but I haven't
explored this place at all.
Some Javanese words, like "pintar" [= smart] are totally accepted in the
Dutch language. However, Javanese != Java != Javascript.

India had some Dutch colonial possesions and there are Indian
words that are now part of English and probably Dutch too. I need to
add them to my Indian English dictionary.