    Just out of curiosity, is it normal for a web host to take a few hours
    to create a subdomain? 1and1 takes about 3 hours, but the other host I
    was using created it immediately.
    John Salerno, Apr 7, 2006

  2. John Salerno

    jb Guest

    John Salerno wrote:
    > Just out of curiosity, is it normal for a web host to take a few hours
    > to create a subdomain? 1and1 takes about 3 hours, but the other host I
    > was using created it immediately.

    ten minutes?
    jb, Apr 7, 2006

  3. John Salerno

    David Segall Guest

    John Salerno <> wrote:

    >Just out of curiosity, is it normal for a web host to take a few hours
    >to create a subdomain? 1and1 takes about 3 hours, but the other host I
    >was using created it immediately.

    On ZoneEdit it is "almost" immediate. If I try it immediately after
    the save it fails. If I try again after that it works.
    David Segall, Apr 7, 2006
  4. John Salerno

    Jim Moe Guest

    John Salerno wrote:
    > Just out of curiosity, is it normal for a web host to take a few hours
    > to create a subdomain? 1and1 takes about 3 hours, but the other host I
    > was using created it immediately.

    It depends on how long it takes for someone to make the addition to a
    nameserver, and how long it takes for that information to propagate
    through a network.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)
    Jim Moe, Apr 7, 2006
  5. John Salerno

    jb Guest

    John Salerno wrote:
    > Just out of curiosity, is it normal for a web host to take a few hours
    > to create a subdomain? 1and1 takes about 3 hours, but the other host I
    > was using created it immediately.

    whatever.domain.com
    jb, Apr 7, 2006
  6. John Salerno

    Andy Dingley Guest

    John Salerno wrote:
    > Just out of curiosity, is it normal for a web host to take a few hours
    > to create a subdomain?

    Some (manually) will take days. I've known it take weeks !

    Technically it takes seconds locally, but it can take up to a couple of
    days to propagate worldwide.
    Andy Dingley, Apr 7, 2006
  7. John Salerno wrote:

    > Just out of curiosity, is it normal for a web host to take a few hours
    > to create a subdomain? 1and1 takes about 3 hours, but the other host I
    > was using created it immediately.

    1&1 is a pretty large hoster and I would not even try to estimate how many
    requests they get that require a change of the DNS or apache configuration.
    My guess is that in order to reduce the load on their systems they queue up
    such requests and commit these in bulk every few hours.

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de
    Benjamin Niemann, Apr 7, 2006
  8. John Salerno

    David Segall Guest

    "Andy Dingley" <> wrote:

    >John Salerno wrote:
    >> Just out of curiosity, is it normal for a web host to take a few hours
    >> to create a subdomain?

    >Some (manually) will take days. I've known it take weeks !
    >
    >Technically it takes seconds locally, but it can take up to a couple of
    >days to propagate worldwide.

    Why? I can understand a change of host address taking some time to
    propagate because it can be cached at various places on the way. But I
    think that the OP was asking about a new subdomain and I don't see how
    that can be cached. Surely a request to resolve new.mydomain.com must
    be referred to the nameserver since it need not have any relation to
    the host of mydomain.com or old.mydomain.com.
    David Segall, Apr 7, 2006
  9. On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 12:42:24 GMT, David Segall <>
    wrote:

    >>Technically it takes seconds locally, but it can take up to a couple of
    >>days to propagate worldwide.

    >Why? I can understand a change of host address taking some time to
    >propagate because it can be cached at various places on the way. But I
    >think that the OP was asking about a new subdomain and I don't see how
    >that can be cached. Surely a request to resolve new.mydomain.com must
    >be referred to the nameserver since it need not have any relation to
    >the host of mydomain.com or old.mydomain.com.

    Quite right. Whenever I've done it the new subdomain can be found as
    soon as the DNS zone info is saved. The first name search might take a
    little longer but that is the extent of the delay. However, if people
    on other servers only queue their updates the delay could be much
    longer.

    --
    Steven
    Steven Saunderson, Apr 7, 2006