How long is a piece of string? How big's a unit?

Discussion in 'Python' started by esther@bitranch.com, Jul 9, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I'm working on my monthly column for Software Test & Performance
    magazine, and I'd like your input. The topic, this time around, is unit
    testing (using python or anything else). Care to share some of your
    hard-won knowledge with your peers?

    In particular, what I'm looking for are experiences and advice about
    _developing_ the unit tests. (Managing and running them is something
    else again.) How big is a unit? How granular do you get? Do you have a
    particular process or checklist that you follow: ensuring that your
    tests look at interface, UI, etc.? Do you make a particular effort to
    create unit tests for the boundary conditions?

    Anecdotes are, of course, enthusiastically encouraged. Tell me what you
    learned the hard way about unit testing. What mistakes have you seen
    others make? What would you teach someone about the process that might
    otherwise come only with experience?

    On quoting you: My editors hate it when I quote "pookie-boy, whom I met
    on some newsgroup." Please let me know -- privately if necessary -- how
    I may refer to you in my article. (The usual format is "Kim Jones, a
    programmer at BigCompany, Inc. in Denver, Colorado.")

    I'll be working on this over the next several days, so I look forward
    to hearing from you soon.

    Esther Schindler
    Contributing editor, Software Test & Performance magazine (stpmag.com)

    , Jul 9, 2005

  2. The correct answer to the above question

    How long is a piece of string?

    is

    2 times half it's length

    CEC