    took to design Java programming language for Java 1.0.

    any ideas??
    , Jun 24, 2005

  2. Roland Guest

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_programming_language>
    --
    Regards,

    Roland de Ruiter
    ` ___ ___
    `/__/ w_/ /__/
    / \ /_/ / \
    Roland, Jun 24, 2005

  3. Roedy Green Guest

    On 23 Jun 2005 22:12:21 -0700, wrote or quoted
    :

    >I know Java 1.0 was release in 1995. But I want to know how long it
    >took to design Java programming language for Java 1.0.

    It was originally designed for set top TV boxes in a language called
    Oak. I would guess that was a fairly quick effort, perhaps a couple
    of years. Sun did not get the contract for the boxes, and someone
    noticed that with a few mods the thing would create a beautiful
    Internet multiplatform language for writing Applets.

    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Jun 26, 2005
  4. "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message

    ....[rip]...

    > Bush crime family lost/embezzled $3 trillion from Pentagon.
    > Complicit Bush-friendly media keeps mum. Rumsfeld confesses on video.
    > http://www.infowars.com/articles/us/mckinney_grills_rumsfeld.htm
    >
    > Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    > See http://mindprod.com/iraq.html photos of Bush's war crimes

    You'll probably do better if you keep politics out of the java newsgroups,
    and in particular not quote from simplistic websites like infowars nor make
    silly phrases like "Bush crime family". You're inviting an OT political
    flaming. And those things just go on forever, and with everyone losing.

    If having such a battle is what you're really after, then you had better
    rethink your motives for being in these groups at all.
    Thomas G. Marshall, Jun 29, 2005
  5. Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

    > "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message
    >
    > ...[rip]...
    >
    > > Bush crime family lost/embezzled $3 trillion from Pentagon.
    > > Complicit Bush-friendly media keeps mum. Rumsfeld confesses on video.
    > > http://www.infowars.com/articles/us/mckinney_grills_rumsfeld.htm
    > >
    > > Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    > > See http://mindprod.com/iraq.html photos of Bush's war crimes

    > You'll probably do better if you keep politics out of the java newsgroups,
    > and in particular not quote from simplistic websites like infowars nor make
    > silly phrases like "Bush crime family". You're inviting an OT political
    > flaming. And those things just go on forever, and with everyone losing.
    >
    > If having such a battle is what you're really after, then you had better
    > rethink your motives for being in these groups at all.

    You quoted his sig, which are not normally part of the discussions in c.l.j.p. And, you
    omitted the all important "--space".

    --
    Lee Fesperman, FFE Software, Inc. (http://www.firstsql.com)
    * The Ultimate DBMS is here!
    Lee Fesperman, Jun 29, 2005
  6. Lee Fesperman coughed up:
    > Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
    >>
    >> "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> ...[rip]...
    >>
    >>> Bush crime family lost/embezzled $3 trillion from Pentagon.
    >>> Complicit Bush-friendly media keeps mum. Rumsfeld confesses on
    >>> video.
    >>> http://www.infowars.com/articles/us/mckinney_grills_rumsfeld.htm
    >>>
    >>> Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    >>> See http://mindprod.com/iraq.html photos of Bush's war crimes

    >> You'll probably do better if you keep politics out of the java
    >> newsgroups, and in particular not quote from simplistic websites
    >> like infowars nor make silly phrases like "Bush crime family".
    >> You're inviting an OT political flaming. And those things just go
    >> on forever, and with everyone losing.
    >>
    >> If having such a battle is what you're really after, then you had
    >> better rethink your motives for being in these groups at all.

    > You quoted his sig, which are not normally part of the discussions in
    > c.l.j.p. And, you omitted the all important "--space".

    Yes. And my statements still stand---whether or not they are part of the
    discussions, signatures are viewed by most people. Political flame wars are
    a reality here, and a desire to stir them up in a technical forum is
    evidence of a desire to disrupt the newsgroup.

    Your point about the --{space} is a good one---had I thought to keep it in,
    then the same people who would not normally have seen his signature, would
    not have seen my complaint either, which would have been better even though
    they'd see a blank message from me. For that I'm sorry.
    Thomas G. Marshall, Jun 29, 2005
  7. . Guest

    [OT] politics (was Re: how long java 1.0 has developed?)

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

    > "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message
    >
    > ...[rip]...
    >
    > > Bush crime family lost/embezzled $3 trillion from Pentagon.
    > > Complicit Bush-friendly media keeps mum. Rumsfeld confesses on video.
    > > http://www.infowars.com/articles/us/mckinney_grills_rumsfeld.htm
    > >
    > > Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    > > See http://mindprod.com/iraq.html photos of Bush's war crimes

    > You'll probably do better if you keep politics out of the java newsgroups,
    > and in particular not quote from simplistic websites like infowars nor make
    > silly phrases like "Bush crime family". You're inviting an OT political
    > flaming. And those things just go on forever, and with everyone losing.

    Until you posted you message this was a non-issue. Your desire to control
    what other people do in this newsgroup has now made this something that is
    taking up space in the newsgroup.

    I've never understood why people just cannot ignore things like this. It
    seems obvious to me that Roedy wants to push some buttons and you have
    just validated him my focusing on it.

    > If having such a battle is what you're really after, then you had better
    > rethink your motives for being in these groups at all.

    Check out mindprod.com and you will see that Roedy does have an interest
    in Java programming. You will also see that he is not one to shy away from
    politics.

    I figured he was entitled to his opinion but that this was not the place
    for me to agree or disagree with that opinion. I choose to ignore his
    signature.

    I didn't want to start a discussion about politics in this newsgroup and I
    thought the best way to make this happen was to just ignore it. I'm not
    sure what you hoped to gain by highlighting Roedy's signature.

    ., Jun 29, 2005
  8. Virgil Green Guest

    Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
    > Lee Fesperman coughed up:
    >> Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> ...[rip]...

    >>> You'll probably do better if you keep politics out of the java
    >>> newsgroups, and in particular not quote from simplistic websites
    >>> like infowars nor make silly phrases like "Bush crime family".
    >>> You're inviting an OT political flaming. And those things just go
    >>> on forever, and with everyone losing.
    >>>
    >>> If having such a battle is what you're really after, then you had
    >>> better rethink your motives for being in these groups at all.

    >> You quoted his sig, which are not normally part of the discussions in
    >> c.l.j.p. And, you omitted the all important "--space".

    > Yes. And my statements still stand---whether or not they are part of
    > the discussions, signatures are viewed by most people. Political
    > flame wars are a reality here, and a desire to stir them up in a
    > technical forum is evidence of a desire to disrupt the newsgroup.
    >
    > Your point about the --{space} is a good one---had I thought to keep
    > it in, then the same people who would not normally have seen his
    > signature, would not have seen my complaint either, which would have
    > been better even though they'd see a blank message from me. For that
    > I'm sorry.

    Ignore sigs. There's only a flame ware if you (generally speaking) bother
    responding to it.

    --
    Virgil
    Virgil Green, Jun 29, 2005
  9. Re: [OT] politics (was Re: how long java 1.0 has developed?)

    "." coughed up:
    > On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
    >

    >> "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> ...[rip]...
    >>
    >>> Bush crime family lost/embezzled $3 trillion from Pentagon.
    >>> Complicit Bush-friendly media keeps mum. Rumsfeld confesses on
    >>> video.
    >>> http://www.infowars.com/articles/us/mckinney_grills_rumsfeld.htm
    >>>
    >>> Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    >>> See http://mindprod.com/iraq.html photos of Bush's war crimes

    >> You'll probably do better if you keep politics out of the java
    >> newsgroups, and in particular not quote from simplistic websites
    >> like infowars nor make silly phrases like "Bush crime family".
    >> You're inviting an OT political flaming. And those things just go
    >> on forever, and with everyone losing.

    > Until you posted you message this was a non-issue. Your desire to

    *BULLSHIT* Until *he* posted that crap it was a non-issue. It's
    disruptive, and if he did not do it there would be fewer flame wars. Don't
    tell me that its the reaction to something offensive that is the
    problem----it's the thing that is offensive.

    You think political flame wars happen in a vacuum? They happen when people
    start voicing political opinions like he did. He's trying to push buttons,
    like you said, and when someone does that, they should be asked to stop.
    Thomas G. Marshall, Jun 29, 2005
  10. . Guest

    Re: [OT] politics (was Re: how long java 1.0 has developed?)

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

    > "." coughed up:
    > > On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
    > >>
    > >> "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> ...[rip]...

    > >> You'll probably do better if you keep politics out of the java
    > >> newsgroups, and in particular not quote from simplistic websites
    > >> like infowars nor make silly phrases like "Bush crime family".
    > >> You're inviting an OT political flaming. And those things just go
    > >> on forever, and with everyone losing.

    > > Until you posted you message this was a non-issue. Your desire to

    > *BULLSHIT* Until *he* posted that crap it was a non-issue. It's
    > disruptive, and if he did not do it there would be fewer flame wars. Don't
    > tell me that its the reaction to something offensive that is the
    > problem----it's the thing that is offensive.
    >
    > You think political flame wars happen in a vacuum? They happen when people
    > start voicing political opinions like he did. He's trying to push buttons,
    > like you said, and when someone does that, they should be asked to stop.

    I think political flame wars happen between TWO or more people.

    I have no control over what feelings someone can incite in me. Roedy can
    put things in his signature that makes me angry or happy. I have no
    control over that. What I can control is my reaction to it. I don't see
    the point of bringing attention to something in Roedy's signature that has
    nothing to do with this newsgroup.

    My question still stands unanswered: What do you expect to gain by
    starting this thread?

    ., Jun 29, 2005
  11. Re: [OT] politics (was Re: how long java 1.0 has developed?)

    "." coughed up:
    > On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

    >>> Until you posted you message this was a non-issue. Your desire to

    >> *BULLSHIT* Until *he* posted that crap it was a non-issue. It's
    >> disruptive, and if he did not do it there would be fewer flame wars.
    >> Don't tell me that its the reaction to something offensive that is
    >> the problem----it's the thing that is offensive.
    >>
    >> You think political flame wars happen in a vacuum? They happen when
    >> people start voicing political opinions like he did. He's trying to
    >> push buttons, like you said, and when someone does that, they should
    >> be asked to stop.

    > I think political flame wars happen between TWO or more people.
    >
    > I have no control over what feelings someone can incite in me. Roedy
    > can put things in his signature that makes me angry or happy. I have
    > no control over that. What I can control is my reaction to it. I
    > don't see the point of bringing attention to something in Roedy's
    > signature that has nothing to do with this newsgroup.

    Then what is the point in responding to me?

    > My question still stands unanswered: What do you expect to gain by
    > starting this thread?

    I didn't start this thread, roedy did the minute he placed inflamatory
    political nonsense into a post. You have perpetuated this by responding to
    my post. What do you expect to gain by posting a response to me?
    Thomas G. Marshall, Jun 30, 2005
  12. Chris Smith Guest

    Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
    > You think political flame wars happen in a vacuum? They happen when people
    > start voicing political opinions like he did. He's trying to push buttons,
    > like you said, and when someone does that, they should be asked to stop.

    I can't agree with that in the slightest bit. As long as Roedy is
    posting on-topic content in this newsgroup, his signature is his
    business. There is nothing verbally abusive in Roedy's signature.
    Flame wars are not the fault of someone expressing an idea that you
    don't like (which is, after all, a vital and indispensable part of
    actually participating in society), but rather someone who gets out of
    hand in responding to it.

    I strongly object to the idea that newsgroups need to be sterile and
    isolated from the world, as if we were getting automatic responses from
    intelligent machines instead of talking to real people who care about
    real events and relationships.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation
    Chris Smith, Jun 30, 2005
  13. Re: [OT] politics (was Re: how long java 1.0 has developed?)

    Chris Smith coughed up:

    ....[rip]...

    > I strongly object to the idea that newsgroups need to be sterile and
    > isolated from the world,

    I never said that they should be sterile and isolated from the world, so
    stop implying I did and come up with a better argument.

    > as if we were getting automatic responses
    > from intelligent machines instead of talking to real people who care
    > about real events and relationships.

    I'm hardly one of those advocating sterile newsgroups.

    1. I have no issue with off topic subjects per se. None, so long as they
    don't involve one of two things (as near as I can tell):

    a. politics
    b. racism.

    I am far from the kind of person that hollers about off topic replies in
    general. Because I know the folks in the newsgroup, I am often *part* of an
    OT thread. I actually *like* the people here and how they think and that
    reason alone is enough that I appreciate most manners of OT discussion. I
    am not asking for things to be sterile. I am /stating outright/ that if
    your intent is to start OT-flame-wars in a technical newsgroup, then you
    should knock it off.

    2. I'm not one of the multitude to belly ache endlessly about cross posting
    either. The ill effects (if there are any) of crossposting are blown /way/
    out of proportion, and people complain because they think they should.

    3. I don't generally even complain about top posting until someone top posts
    over a message already bottom posted.

    --
    Onedoctortoanother:"Ifthisismyrectalthermometer,wherethehell'smypen???"
    Thomas G. Marshall, Jun 30, 2005
  14. Dale King Guest

    Chris Smith wrote:
    > Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
    >
    >>You think political flame wars happen in a vacuum? They happen when people
    >>start voicing political opinions like he did. He's trying to push buttons,
    >>like you said, and when someone does that, they should be asked to stop.

    > I can't agree with that in the slightest bit.

    I have to agree with Thomas. I too was offended by Roedy's signature. I
    know Roedy well enough to know his political views, but usually he tries
    to separate it out.

    > As long as Roedy is
    > posting on-topic content in this newsgroup, his signature is his
    > business.

    I disagree. Just because he posts good stuff does not give him a free
    ride to do what he pleases. Roedy has wasted the group's time with
    off-topic political rants in the past (and almost caused Patricia to
    throw a temper tantrum ;-). See this thread about his conspiracy theory
    about 9/11 where he claims the govt. was lying about how many deaths
    there were:

    <http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.help/browse_thread/thread/d989547983ee72f3/500e988037fc655a>

    Let me take a quote from that thread that I think fits this situation
    perfectly:

    "Roedy, why are you doing this? I know that you know better. I have a
    lot of respect for what you've done for a lot of the Java newcomers in
    this group and for the tremendous Java programming resource you can
    provide, but that does *not* give you the right to spam the group with a
    conspiracy theory...that doesn't relate to Java. People who
    are interested can follow this subject in other ways, using their own
    choices of information sources."

    Do you know who wrote those words to Roedy 4 1/2 years ago, Chris?? YOU DID!

    > There is nothing verbally abusive in Roedy's signature.

    Baloney! Accusing the president of war crimes is not considered abusive
    or offensive?

    > Flame wars are not the fault of someone expressing an idea that you
    > don't like (which is, after all, a vital and indispensable part of
    > actually participating in society), but rather someone who gets out of
    > hand in responding to it.
    >
    > I strongly object to the idea that newsgroups need to be sterile and
    > isolated from the world, as if we were getting automatic responses from
    > intelligent machines instead of talking to real people who care about
    > real events and relationships.

    Roedy's politically charged offensive signature has no business here.
    This is a group about Java programming and that is what posts should be
    about. Posting crap that is only meant to be offensive does not belong
    here. That kind of stuff is *meant* to incite a flame war. I give Thomas
    credit for not flaming Roedy, but asking him politely to take the hate
    speech somewhere else.

    The issue is about being on-topic not being sterile. Sometimes the group
    will drift into off-topic political discussions. We understand that. It
    is another thing entirely to repeatedly post offensive stuff that
    encourages that.

    --
    Dale King
    Dale King, Jun 30, 2005
  15. Chris Smith Guest

    Dale King <> wrote:
    > I disagree. Just because he posts good stuff does not give him a free
    > ride to do what he pleases. Roedy has wasted the group's time with
    > off-topic political rants in the past

    Sorry to make a big deal out of this. I still see a large difference
    between a signature line and what you're referring to. I completely
    agree that political posts are out of place here. We just don't seem to
    agree about what a signature line really is. I don't look at it as
    group content. I don't choose a different signature depending on what
    my post is about. A signature identifies who someone is, what they care
    about, who they are affiliated with, etc... and from what I know of
    Roedy, his current signature does that very well.

    In any case, I'll drop it; Roedy will decide as he pleases anyway.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation
    Chris Smith, Jun 30, 2005

    "Virgil Green" <> wrote in message news:<ecBwe.810$>...
    > Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

    (Snipz)

> [...]

    Amazing that aboriginal Australians have such power in the U.S. ...

    ..ed

    , Jun 30, 2005
  17. Chris Uppal Guest

    Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

    > You're inviting an OT
    > political flaming. And those things just go on forever, and with
    > everyone losing.

    You'll note that whatever the acceptability of politically active commentary in
    the .sig parts of posts, whatever the legitimacy of Roeady's views, whatever
    the truth about Bush, it is actually /your/ post that has triggered what looks
    as if it could easily be a long-running, irritating, and frequently offensive,
    thread.

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, Jun 30, 2005
  18. Chris Uppal coughed up:
    > Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
    >
    >> You're inviting an OT
    >> political flaming. And those things just go on forever, and with
    >> everyone losing.

    > You'll note that whatever the acceptability of politically active
    > commentary in the .sig parts of posts, whatever the legitimacy of
    > Roeady's views, whatever the truth about Bush, it is actually /your/
    > post that has triggered what looks as if it could easily be a
    > long-running, irritating, and frequently offensive, thread.

    It is actually Roedy's post. You must follow causality properly.
    Otherwise, it is equally valid to claim that *you* are furthering this
    thread needlessly and are somehow culpable.

    --
    Whyowhydidn'tsunmakejavarequireanuppercaselettertostartclassnames....
    Thomas G. Marshall, Jun 30, 2005
  19. Chris Uppal Guest

    Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

    > > [me:]
    > > You'll note that whatever the acceptability of politically active
    > > commentary in the .sig parts of posts, whatever the legitimacy of
    > > Roeady's views, whatever the truth about Bush, it is actually /your/
    > > post that has triggered what looks as if it could easily be a
    > > long-running, irritating, and frequently offensive, thread.

    > It is actually Roedy's post. You must follow causality properly.

    I think I do -- Roedy posted many, many, times with no response (to that aspect
    of his posts). You posted once.

    > Otherwise, it is equally valid to claim that *you* are furthering this
    > thread needlessly and are somehow culpable.

    I agree; I have added to the problem. I regret that. I did think carefully
    before "contributing" to this thread, and I thought I had sufficient reason,
    but it seems the effort was in vain.

    You will join Roedy in my killfile.

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, Jun 30, 2005
  20. Virgil Green Guest

    Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
    > Chris Uppal coughed up:
    >> Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
    >>
    >>> You're inviting an OT
    >>> political flaming. And those things just go on forever, and with
    >>> everyone losing.

    >> You'll note that whatever the acceptability of politically active
    >> commentary in the .sig parts of posts, whatever the legitimacy of
    >> Roeady's views, whatever the truth about Bush, it is actually /your/
    >> post that has triggered what looks as if it could easily be a
    >> long-running, irritating, and frequently offensive, thread.

    > It is actually Roedy's post. You must follow causality properly.
    > Otherwise, it is equally valid to claim that *you* are furthering this
    > thread needlessly and are somehow culpable.

    That just cracks me up. The sub(off)-topic of this thread was initiated
    precisely because you chose to take offense based upon someone's sig and
    decided you had to speak your mind about it. Roedy did *not* bring this up
    as a discussion point and has not even contributed to the sub-topic. *You*
    are the cause of the sub-topic. I've contributed only for my personal
    enjoyment.

    --
    Virgil
    Virgil Green, Jun 30, 2005