How make a letter ABC to ACB, BCA,....etc

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by phal, Sep 8, 2005.

  1. phal

    phal Guest

    Dear all guru
    I have a problem in writing a Perl program to make a combination of
    letter which user type in.

    Type in= ABCD

    Output:
    ABCD
    ABDC
    ACBD
    ADBC
    ADCB
    ACDB

    BACD
    BADC
    BDAC
    BCAD
    BDCA
    BCDA

    CABD
    CADB
    CDBA
    CBAD
    CBDA
    CDAB

    DABC
    DBAC
    DACB
    DCAB
    DBCA
    DCBA

    The rule is that, if user type in only 3 letters so it will make a
    possible combination by 1*2*3 which is 6 conbination. On the above
    example, it is 1*2*3*4=24

    Thank very much for your help

    Take care
    phal, Sep 8, 2005

  2. "phal" <> writes:

    > I have a problem in writing a Perl program to make a combination of
    > letter which user type in.
    >
    > Type in= ABCD
    >
    > Output:
    > ABCD
    > ABDC

    What you want to do is called "permutation". Sometimes knowing the keyword to
    search for can make all the difference. With that in mind, Google for "perl
    permutation algorithm", or go to <http://search.cpan.org> and search for
    "permutation".

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Sep 8, 2005

  3. phal

    Sisyphus Guest

    "phal" <> wrote in message

    > The rule is that, if user type in only 3 letters so it will make a
    > possible combination by 1*2*3 which is 6 conbination. On the above
    > example, it is 1*2*3*4=24

    Use Algorithm::permute or Algorithm::FastPermute (from cpan).

    Cheers,
    Rob
    Sisyphus, Sep 8, 2005
  4. phal