How many bits generated for each UTF8 char with 256 bit AES?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Phil C., Apr 27, 2006.

  1. Phil C.

    Phil C. Guest

    For database table column size purposes, I'm trying to estimate the number
    of bits I will generate when encrypting character strings (which of course
    get converted into binary arrays before encryption).

    For each input Unicode-8 character in a string, using 256 bit Aes keysize
    encryption that has 256 bit blocks and CBC mode, with say
    PaddingMode.ISO10126 (or even default padding) how many resultant bits do I
    generate in the encrypted result?

    I think that the blocks will set a minimum size resultant bit output for
    less than a certain number of characters.

    Thanks,

    Phil

    Phil C., Apr 27, 2006