How many complain?

Discussion in 'C++' started by LR, Oct 27, 2007.

  1. LR

    LR Guest

    I don't know if this is OT or not, but I was curious, so I'm going to
    ask anyway. Forgive me.

    How many of you complain about egregious off topic posting? Of course,
    what each of us considers to be egregious will vary, so please allow me
    to clarify. I'm not talking about the occasional breach of netiquette. A
    posting here or there about a job which generally can be handled by
    suggesting a more proper course of action to the poster. I'm not
    talking about the occasional system specific post or even the occasional
    question about Java, BASIC etc.

    No. I'm wondering about the persistent rude insulting poster.

    I ask because I suspect that certain companies that provide the ability
    to do usenet postings look at the number of complaints and decide what
    to do on that basis. But of course I could be wrong.

    And the reason I'm asking here and now is that we seem to be getting a
    visit from such a poster.

    So how many of you have taken a look at the poster's headers and
    complained? A show of hands please.

    TIA,

    LR
    LR, Oct 27, 2007

  2. LR

    cplusplus Guest

    HEY LOSER GET LOST AND GET A LIFE
    cplusplus, Oct 27, 2007

  3. LR

    Daniel T. Guest

    LR <> wrote:

    > So how many of you have taken a look at the poster's headers and
    > complained? A show of hands please.

    Not me, I just kill-filed the guy.
    Daniel T., Oct 27, 2007
  4. LR

    saneman Guest

    LR wrote:
    > I don't know if this is OT or not, but I was curious, so I'm going to
    > ask anyway. Forgive me.
    >
    > How many of you complain about egregious off topic posting? Of course,
    > what each of us considers to be egregious will vary, so please allow me
    > to clarify. I'm not talking about the occasional breach of netiquette. A
    > posting here or there about a job which generally can be handled by
    > suggesting a more proper course of action to the poster. I'm not
    > talking about the occasional system specific post or even the occasional
    > question about Java, BASIC etc.
    >
    > No. I'm wondering about the persistent rude insulting poster.
    >
    > I ask because I suspect that certain companies that provide the ability
    > to do usenet postings look at the number of complaints and decide what
    > to do on that basis. But of course I could be wrong.
    >
    > And the reason I'm asking here and now is that we seem to be getting a
    > visit from such a poster.
    >
    > So how many of you have taken a look at the poster's headers and
    > complained? A show of hands please.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > LR

    I think its funny I like to read his replies. Hope he becomes a more
    productive poster in the future. I like the part where we are to vote
    for him as sheriff of the group.
    saneman, Oct 27, 2007
  5. LR

    Markus Moll Guest

    Hi

    LR wrote:

    > And the reason I'm asking here and now is that we seem to be getting a
    > visit from such a poster.

    Yeah, he'll get tired. Or school starts again. Or whatever.
    Unfortunately there is little you can do about kids who find it funny to
    insult people and wait for their reaction (they would never do the same if
    it was face to face, though). The best would be to complain to their
    parents (or their ISP, in this case) and then just ignore them.

    > So how many of you have taken a look at the poster's headers and
    > complained? A show of hands please.

    Well. I did. I have also adjusted my filter settings... :)

    Markus
    Markus Moll, Oct 27, 2007
  6. LR

    werasm Guest

    On Oct 27, 5:31 pm, saneman <> wrote:

    > I think its funny I like to read his replies. Hope he becomes a more
    > productive poster in the future. I like the part where we are to vote
    > for him as sheriff of the group.

    Hah hah. Yes, I voted for him and he became sheriff. He has a star - a
    single one. ;-). How about he shows us some real programming. I've
    also found it amusing, but at some point I just ignore and continue.
    Regard, W
    werasm, Oct 27, 2007
  7. LR

    Rolf Magnus Guest

    LR wrote:

    > I don't know if this is OT or not, but I was curious, so I'm going to
    > ask anyway. Forgive me.
    >
    > How many of you complain about egregious off topic posting? Of course,
    > what each of us considers to be egregious will vary, so please allow me
    > to clarify. I'm not talking about the occasional breach of netiquette. A
    > posting here or there about a job which generally can be handled by
    > suggesting a more proper course of action to the poster. I'm not
    > talking about the occasional system specific post or even the occasional
    > question about Java, BASIC etc.
    >
    > No. I'm wondering about the persistent rude insulting poster.
    >
    > I ask because I suspect that certain companies that provide the ability
    > to do usenet postings look at the number of complaints and decide what
    > to do on that basis. But of course I could be wrong.
    >
    > And the reason I'm asking here and now is that we seem to be getting a
    > visit from such a poster.
    >
    > So how many of you have taken a look at the poster's headers and
    > complained? A show of hands please.

    Well, usually I would immediately send an e-mail to the address given in the
    Complaints-To header entry. However, I don't think this would have any
    success in this case. The problem is that most postings of that kind, as
    well as most spam postings, nowadays get posted through google groups. I
    don't know how much they do about complaints, but even if they decide to
    block an account, nothing stops the poster from simply opening a new one.
    Actually, IMHO it would be a lot better if the posting feature was removed
    from google groups. Since this feature is available, the number of such
    postings is growing quickly.
    Rolf Magnus, Oct 27, 2007
  8. LR

    Dave Shooter Guest

    Rolf Magnus wrote:
    > Well, usually I would immediately send an e-mail to the address given in the
    > Complaints-To header entry. However, I don't think this would have any
    > success in this case. The problem is that most postings of that kind, as
    > well as most spam postings, nowadays get posted through google groups. I
    > don't know how much they do about complaints, but even if they decide to
    > block an account, nothing stops the poster from simply opening a new one.
    > Actually, IMHO it would be a lot better if the posting feature was removed
    > from google groups. Since this feature is available, the number of such
    > postings is growing quickly.

    Out of curiosity I sent a mail to and got this
    reply:

    <googleReply>

    Thank you for your note. Google does not regularly monitor or censor
    postings sent to Google Groups, but we do try to prevent wide-scale spam
    and other forms of Usenet abuse. Please be assured that the information
    you sent to us is being collected and taken into account. While we
    understand how annoying off-topic posts can be, we aren't able to pursue
    most complaints we receive about them. We are using the information you
    provide to make large-scale improvements in preventing abuse. We
    appreciate your help in our efforts to increase the quality of Google
    Groups.

    </googleReply>
    Dave Shooter, Oct 27, 2007
  9. LR

    LR Guest

    Rolf Magnus wrote:
    > LR wrote:

    > Well, usually I would immediately send an e-mail to the address given in the
    > Complaints-To header entry. However, I don't think this would have any
    > success in this case. The problem is that most postings of that kind, as
    > well as most spam postings, nowadays get posted through google groups. I
    > don't know how much they do about complaints, but even if they decide to
    > block an account, nothing stops the poster from simply opening a new one.
    > Actually, IMHO it would be a lot better if the posting feature was removed
    > from google groups. Since this feature is available, the number of such
    > postings is growing quickly.

    Google also provides the NNTP-Posting-Host in the header, which for our
    current pest was 59.93.220.192 in their last post. I did a little
    searching and complained there. It appears to be
    . But of course, I may be wrong about that. If
    anyone finds out, could you please let me know.

    Also, as pointed out in another post in this thread, google says they
    don't pursue most complaints. So I'm wondering if more complaints means
    they do.

    LR
    LR, Oct 27, 2007
  10. LR wrote:

    > I don't know if this is OT or not, but I was curious, so I'm going to
    > ask anyway. Forgive me.

    In some newsgroups you can put [OT] in the subject line if you feel the
    subject is offtopic. But this sort of discussion is exactly on topic for a
    newsgroup since it is about defining posting behavior.

    > No. I'm wondering about the persistent rude insulting poster.
    >
    > I ask because I suspect that certain companies that provide the ability
    > to do usenet postings look at the number of complaints and decide what
    > to do on that basis. But of course I could be wrong.
    >
    > And the reason I'm asking here and now is that we seem to be getting a
    > visit from such a poster.
    >
    > So how many of you have taken a look at the poster's headers and
    > complained? A show of hands please.

    I haven't complained I've just ignored him. If nobody responds to him then
    he will eventually go away. Some people use a killfile for this purpose,
    which automatically hides his posts.

    The big problem comes when people reply to him. Not only are they
    encouraging his behavior but also any one who is using a killfile will see
    the other persons post, which is totally irrelevant and a waste of time to
    them. The solution to this is when someone replies to him post a please do
    not feed the troll message.

    Richard James
    Richard James, Oct 28, 2007
  11. LR

    Ian Collins Guest

    Richard James wrote:
    > LR wrote:
    > I haven't complained I've just ignored him. If nobody responds to him then
    > he will eventually go away. Some people use a killfile for this purpose,
    > which automatically hides his posts.
    >
    > The big problem comes when people reply to him. Not only are they
    > encouraging his behavior but also any one who is using a killfile will see
    > the other persons post, which is totally irrelevant and a waste of time to
    > them. The solution to this is when someone replies to him post a please do
    > not feed the troll message.

    Mozilla based news readers and probably others have the filter rule
    "ignore thread" which works well for known trolls.

    --
    Ian Collins.
    Ian Collins, Oct 28, 2007
  12. LR

    James Kanze Guest

    On Oct 27, 2:26 pm, LR <> wrote:
    > I don't know if this is OT or not, but I was curious, so I'm going to
    > ask anyway. Forgive me.

    > How many of you complain about egregious off topic posting? Of course,
    > what each of us considers to be egregious will vary, so please allow me
    > to clarify. I'm not talking about the occasional breach of netiquette. A
    > posting here or there about a job which generally can be handled by
    > suggesting a more proper course of action to the poster. I'm not
    > talking about the occasional system specific post or even the occasional
    > question about Java, BASIC etc.

    > No. I'm wondering about the persistent rude insulting poster.

    > I ask because I suspect that certain companies that provide the ability
    > to do usenet postings look at the number of complaints and decide what
    > to do on that basis. But of course I could be wrong.

    > And the reason I'm asking here and now is that we seem to be getting a
    > visit from such a poster.

    > So how many of you have taken a look at the poster's headers and
    > complained? A show of hands please.

    Is it worth the bother. The person obviously has serious
    psychological problems; the only "useful" reaction would be to
    somehow obtain psychological help for him. Since I have no
    means of doing this, I just ignore them.

    It seems rather obvious to me that his postings are a jelous
    reaction to the fact that most of us here have well paying jobs,
    or are training for them, and are well accepted members of the
    general society, considered as more or less "successful" by our
    friends and neighbors. Presumably, that's not his case, and
    he's jelous. I wouldn't worry about it---in the end, it's his
    problem, not yours. If you're in a position to help him, you
    probably should, but most of us aren't.

    --
    James Kanze (GABI Software) email:
    James Kanze, Oct 28, 2007
  13. On 2007-10-28 11:17, Rolf Magnus wrote:
    > Ian Collins wrote:
    >
    >> Richard James wrote:
    >>> LR wrote:
    >>> I haven't complained I've just ignored him. If nobody responds to him
    >>> then he will eventually go away. Some people use a killfile for this
    >>> purpose, which automatically hides his posts.
    >>>
    >>> The big problem comes when people reply to him. Not only are they
    >>> encouraging his behavior but also any one who is using a killfile will
    >>> see the other persons post, which is totally irrelevant and a waste of
    >>> time to them. The solution to this is when someone replies to him post a
    >>> please do not feed the troll message.

    > This is not only true for kill-files. Some postings (I've seen it mostly
    > happen to spam) are already filtered by several news servers. In this case,
    > the same happens. You never get the original posting, but you do see the
    > reply.
    >
    >> Mozilla based news readers and probably others have the filter rule
    >> "ignore thread" which works well for known trolls.

    > But it might filter too much if the troll - as the one here does - posts to
    > existing threads. Or does that rule only affect sub-threads started by the
    > offending poster?

    No, it takes whole threads.

    --
    Erik Wikström
    =?UTF-8?B?RXJpayBXaWtzdHLDtm0=?=, Oct 28, 2007
  14. LR

    Rolf Magnus Guest

    Rolf Magnus, Oct 28, 2007
  15. LR

    moschops Guest

    > It seems rather obvious to me that his postings are a jelous
    > reaction to the fact that most of us here have well paying jobs,
    > or are training for them, and are well accepted members of the
    > general society, considered as more or less "successful" by our
    > friends and neighbors. Presumably, that's not his case, and
    > he's jelous. I wouldn't worry about it---in the end, it's his
    > problem, not yours. If you're in a position to help him, you
    > probably should, but most of us aren't.

    Already can't see him. You're right, though; this sort of thing (when it
    continues for more than one or two posts) is usually about envy. It
    seems this troll envies people who can code, and oddly enough also has
    an Oedipus complex. I shouldn't giggle really, but I just can't help myself.

    I know. I'm a bad person.

    'Chops
    moschops, Oct 28, 2007