How many man-hours were used in creating .NET 1.0?

anon

Does anyone know how many man-hours were used in creating .NET 1.0?

I thought it would be an interesting statistic to know.

Thanks.

CJ Taylor

Wow... I cannot even fathom. I once heard that the entire team (given all
of the languages) was well above 500 developers... I don't even know the
management.

I'm sure Anders has about 3,000 in there alone...

So you probably looking at a couple hundred grand when all was said and
done...

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

..NET was on the drawing board in the middle of 1997. You can figure out the
rest since the release date is common knowledge.

anon

500 developer x 2000 hours per year = 1,000,000 hours per year?

3 to 4 years, maybe 5 years.

These developers don't really work a 9 to 5 to 40 hour week. Probably at
least a 60 hour week

so 500 developers x 3000 hour per year = 1,500,000 hours per year

1.5 millions hours/year x 3 years = 4.5 million man hours of programmers
only?

probably at least 500 people who are not programmers, but managers,
marketing, sales.

10 million hours?

Kevin Spencer

I wonder if it was more than they saved.

Who saved? Bill Gates' personal worth went down by the billions while it was
under development.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Mark Broadbent

A couple hundred grand hehe, that'll probably have paid for 1 second of
Anders&Co s' time.

Br,
Mark Broadbent
mcdba , mcse+i
=============

Marius Horak

Not enough.
Why?
In web applications I still have to use this crap HTML and Javascript. And
the whole logic of a web application is worse then mainframe applications in
70s and 80s. The only difference is that now we can play with pictures.
Regarding window applications I can create better looking and better
performing systems using other software.
The only good thing is C#.

MH

Cor Ligthert

Hi Marius,
Not enough.
Why?
In web applications I still have to use this crap HTML and Javascript. And
the whole logic of a web application is worse then mainframe applications in
70s and 80s. The only difference is that now we can play with pictures.
Regarding window applications I can create better looking and better
performing systems using other software.
The only good thing is C#.

This has nothing to do with DotNet, this has to do with by instance W3C.

The server side the logic is much more and the way Microsoft fixed that to
the W3C regulated clientside is really amazing.

You can make as well your window applications over Internet using dotNet
webservices.
Looks a lot better than that HTML, however those windows applications have a
lot more deployment problems.

Just my opinion,

Cor

Marius Horak

Cor Ligthert said:
Hi Marius,
applications

This has nothing to do with DotNet, this has to do with by instance W3C.
You mean that W3C told M$ to keep Javascript?
And you mean that if W3C degraded my superb PC to a dumb terminal we should
accept this situation?
The server side the logic is much more and the way Microsoft fixed that to
the W3C regulated clientside is really amazing.

But the result is horrible. I can bet that the Russians put a lot of work to
make Lada to confirm to USA requirements.
You can make as well your window applications over Internet using dotNet
webservices.
Looks a lot better than that HTML, however those windows applications have a
lot more deployment problems.

What is more important Client or Developer?

MH

CJ Taylor

HA!
Mark Broadbent said:
A couple hundred grand hehe, that'll probably have paid for 1 second of
Anders&Co s' time.

Br,
Mark Broadbent
mcdba , mcse+i
=============

CJ Taylor

60 hour week at MS? Maybe a *lite* week. I would expect more around 70-100
hours a week there. I've have a couple friends that work there (yet still
can't find room for even a coffee boy..) and they work on average 75 hours
a week. My friend Henry was a PM for IE6, he would work 90 most often...

anon

90 hours ????

Just how much do these guys get paid to work 90 hours?

Permanent employees and Contract people?

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

there are a ton of millionaires in seattle let's just say.
i'm moving up there, hopefully, some crumbs can fall my way

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney