    Does anyone know how many man-hours were used in creating .NET 1.0?

    I thought it would be an interesting statistic to know.

    Thanks.
    anon, May 10, 2004

  2. anon

    CJ Taylor Guest

    Wow... I cannot even fathom. I once heard that the entire team (given all
    of the languages) was well above 500 developers... I don't even know the
    management.

    I'm sure Anders has about 3,000 in there alone...

    So you probably looking at a couple hundred grand when all was said and
    done...

    CJ Taylor, May 10, 2004

  3. ..NET was on the drawing board in the middle of 1997. You can figure out the
    rest since the release date is common knowledge.

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], May 10, 2004
  4. anon

    anon Guest

    500 developer x 2000 hours per year = 1,000,000 hours per year?

    3 to 4 years, maybe 5 years.

    These developers don't really work a 9 to 5 to 40 hour week. Probably at
    least a 60 hour week

    so 500 developers x 3000 hour per year = 1,500,000 hours per year

    1.5 millions hours/year x 3 years = 4.5 million man hours of programmers
    only?

    probably at least 500 people who are not programmers, but managers,
    marketing, sales.

    10 million hours?

    anon, May 10, 2004
  5. anon

    bam Bino Guest

    I wonder if it was more than they saved.

    bam Bino, May 10, 2004
  6. > I wonder if it was more than they saved.

    Who saved? Bill Gates' personal worth went down by the billions while it was
    under development.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, May 10, 2004
  7. A couple hundred grand hehe, that'll probably have paid for 1 second of
    Anders&Co s' time.

    Br,
    Mark Broadbent
    mcdba , mcse+i
    =============

    Mark Broadbent, May 10, 2004
  8. anon

    Marius Horak Guest

    Not enough.
    Why?
    In web applications I still have to use this crap HTML and Javascript. And
    the whole logic of a web application is worse then mainframe applications in
    70s and 80s. The only difference is that now we can play with pictures.
    Regarding window applications I can create better looking and better
    performing systems using other software.
    The only good thing is C#.

    MH
    Marius Horak, May 11, 2004
  9. anon

    Cor Ligthert Guest

    Hi Marius,

    > Not enough.
    > Why?
    > In web applications I still have to use this crap HTML and Javascript. And
    > the whole logic of a web application is worse then mainframe applications

    in
    > 70s and 80s. The only difference is that now we can play with pictures.
    > Regarding window applications I can create better looking and better
    > performing systems using other software.
    > The only good thing is C#.

    This has nothing to do with DotNet, this has to do with by instance W3C.

    The server side the logic is much more and the way Microsoft fixed that to
    the W3C regulated clientside is really amazing.

    You can make as well your window applications over Internet using dotNet
    webservices.
    Looks a lot better than that HTML, however those windows applications have a
    lot more deployment problems.

    Just my opinion,

    Cor
    Cor Ligthert, May 11, 2004
  10. anon

    Marius Horak Guest

    "Cor Ligthert" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Marius,
    >
    > > Not enough.
    > > Why?
    > > In web applications I still have to use this crap HTML and Javascript.

    And
    > > the whole logic of a web application is worse then mainframe

    applications
    > in
    > > 70s and 80s. The only difference is that now we can play with pictures.
    > > Regarding window applications I can create better looking and better
    > > performing systems using other software.
    > > The only good thing is C#.

    > This has nothing to do with DotNet, this has to do with by instance W3C.

    You mean that W3C told M$ to keep Javascript?
    And you mean that if W3C degraded my superb PC to a dumb terminal we should
    accept this situation?

    > The server side the logic is much more and the way Microsoft fixed that to
    > the W3C regulated clientside is really amazing.

    But the result is horrible. I can bet that the Russians put a lot of work to
    make Lada to confirm to USA requirements.

    > You can make as well your window applications over Internet using dotNet
    > webservices.
    > Looks a lot better than that HTML, however those windows applications have

    > lot more deployment problems.

    What is more important Client or Developer?

    MH
    Marius Horak, May 11, 2004
  11. anon

    CJ Taylor Guest

    HA!

    CJ Taylor, May 11, 2004
  12. anon

    CJ Taylor Guest

    60 hour week at MS? Maybe a *lite* week. I would expect more around 70-100
    hours a week there. I've have a couple friends that work there (yet still
    can't find room for even a coffee boy..) and they work on average 75 hours
    a week. My friend Henry was a PM for IE6, he would work 90 most often...

    CJ Taylor, May 11, 2004
  13. anon

    anon Guest

    90 hours ????

    Just how much do these guys get paid to work 90 hours?

    Permanent employees and Contract people?

    anon, May 12, 2004
  14. there are a ton of millionaires in seattle let's just say.
    i'm moving up there, hopefully, some crumbs can fall my way

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], May 12, 2004