how many people run with JS disabled?

Greg N.

Sorry if this topic has been discussed before:

Is there any statistical data available about what percentage of
browsers run with JS disabled?

Thanks for any and all insights,
Greg

Richard Cornford

Greg said:
Sorry if this topic has been discussed before:

Is there any statistical data available about what
percentage of browsers run with JS disabled?

Thanks for any and all insights,

It is not possible to gather accurate statistics about client
configurations over HTTP. So there are statistics, but there is no
reason to expect them to correspond with reality.

Richard.

Greg N.

Richard said:
So there are statistics, but there is no
reason to expect them to correspond with reality.

All statistics are somewhat inaccurate. That insight is trivial.

Got any educated guesses what it is that makes http based statistics
inaccurate, and by what margin they might be off?

Lee

Greg N. said:
All statistics are somewhat inaccurate. That insight is trivial.

Got any educated guesses what it is that makes http based statistics
inaccurate, and by what margin they might be off?

The statistics assume that users with vastly different browser
configurations visit the same web sites with the same frequency.

Randy Webb

Greg said:
All statistics are somewhat inaccurate. That insight is trivial.

The percentage of people who surf with scripting disabled is
approximately exactly 12.23434531221%. And exactly 92.3427234% of
statistics are made up on the spot.
Got any educated guesses what it is that makes http based statistics
inaccurate, and by what margin they might be off?

The very nature of http makes it inaccurate.

Greg N.

Randy said:
The very nature of http makes it inaccurate.

I can see how things like caching and IP address ambiguity leads to
wrong results (if absolute counts is what you're after), but I don't see
why percentages derived from http statistics (e.g. browser type,
javascript availability etc) should be so badly off, especially if a
large number of samples is looked at.

Any insights other than it's inaccurate because it's inaccurate?

Greg N.

Lee wrote:

The statistics assume that users with vastly different browser
configurations visit the same web sites with the same frequency.

Well, if that's all there is in terms of problems, I'll rephrase my
question: What percentage of visits to my web site occur with JS disabled?

That question should be answerable through http statistics fairly
accurately, no?

RobG

Greg said:
Lee wrote:

Well, if that's all there is in terms of problems, I'll rephrase my
question: What percentage of visits to my web site occur with JS disabled?

That question should be answerable through http statistics fairly
accurately, no?

Statistics, of themselves, are simply the result of applying
certain mathematical formulae to data that have been gathered.
They are, of themselves, neither "right", "wrong", "ambiguous"
or anything else.

It is their interpretation and application to logical argument
that could be considered, in certain contexts, to have the above
attributes.

The statistics gathered by w3schools are presented at face
value. No analysis is attempted and an excellent disclaimer is
presented - interestingly, immediately below the JavaScript
stats.

For the benefit of those reading off-line:

"You cannot - as a web developer - rely only on statistics.
Statistics can often be misleading.

"Global averages may not always be relevant to your web site.
Different sites attract different audiences. Some web sites
attract professional developers using professional hardware,
other sites attract hobbyists using older low spec computers.

"Also be aware that many stats may have an incomplete or
faulty browser detection. It is quite common by many web stats
report programs, not to detect new browsers like Opera and
Netscape 6 or 7 from the web log.

"(The statistics above are extracted from W3Schools' log-files,
but we are also monitoring other sources around the Internet
to assure the quality of these figures)"

Richard Cornford

Greg said:
All statistics are somewhat inaccurate. That insight
is trivial.

Got any educated guesses what it is that makes http
based statistics inaccurate, and by what margin they
might be off?

I wouldn't claim to be an expert on HTTP but it is a subject that I find
it advantageous to pay attention to, and I have certainly read many
experts going into details about the issues of statistics gathering
about HTTP clients.

The most significant issue is caching. A well-configured web site should
strongly encourage the caching of all of its static content. HTTP allows
caching at the client and at any point between the client and the
server. Indeed, it has been proposed that without caching (so every HTTP
request is handled by the server responsible for the site in question)
the existing infrastructure would be overwhelmed by existing demand.

Obviously clients have caches but many organisations, such as ISPs,
operate large-scale caches to help keep their network demand at a
minimum (and appearing more responsive than it would do otherwise). The
company I work for requires Internet access to go through a caching
proxy, partly to reduce bandwidth use and partly to control the Internet
access of its staff (not uncommon in business).

As a result of this any HTTP request may make it all of the way to the
server of the web site in question, or it may be served from any one of
many caches at some intervening point. Browser clients come
pre-configured with a variety of caching settings, which may also be
modified by their users. And the exact criteria used in deciding whether
to serve content form any individual intervening cache or pass an HTTP
request on down the network are known only to the operators of those
intervening caches.

The sampling for web statistics tents to be from one point, usually a
web server. If only an unknowable proportion of request made actually
get to those points then deductions made about the real usage of even an
individual site are at least questionable.

HTTP allow the information from which most client statistics are derived
(the User Agent headers) to take any form the browser manufacturer or
user chooses. So they cannot be used to discriminate between clients.

The techniques used to detect client-side scripting support are chosen
and implemented by the less skilled script authors (because the more
skilled tend to be aware of the futility of that type of statistics
gathering). The result is testing techniques that fail when exposed to
conditions outside of these inexperienced authors' expectations.
Unreliable testing methods do not result in reliable statistics.

Given that HTTP experts do not consider most statistics gathering as
worth while, the individual responsible for statistics don't tent to
have much understanding of the meaning of their statistics. However,
people with an interest in statistics tent to want to do something with
them. They make decisions based on the statistics they have.
Unfortunately this exaggerates any bias that may appear in those
statistics. For example, suppose these individuals gain the impression
that it will be satisfactory to create a web-site that is only viable on
javascript enabled recent versions of an IE browser (heaven forbid ;).
The result will be that users of other browsers and/or IE with scripting
disabled will not make return visits to the site in question (having
realised that they are wasting their time), while the users of script
enabled IE may tend to make longer visits, and return repeatedly. Any
statistics gathered on such a site will suggest an massive proportion of
visitors are using script enabled IE browsers. These statistics are then
contributed toward the generality of browser statistics, from which the
original site design decisions were made. So we have a feed-back effect
where any belief in such statistics tends to exaggerate any bias.

Some of the HTTP experts I have read discussing this subject suggest
that the errors in such statistics gathering may be as much as two
orders of magnitude. Which means that a cited figure of, say 10%,
actually means somewhere between zero and 100%. A statistic that was not
really worth the effort of gathering.

Richard.

Matt Kruse

Greg said:
Well, if that's all there is in terms of problems, I'll rephrase my
question: What percentage of visits to my web site occur with JS
disabled?

Just include an external js file link in your source. Analyze your logs to
determine what percentage of requests to your html page also request the
javascript file.

However, the bigger and better question is... why do you want to know?

Richard

Sorry if this topic has been discussed before:

Is there any statistical data available about what percentage of
browsers run with JS disabled?

Thanks for any and all insights,
Greg

Since most people don't even know how to switch it, it's a safe bet that
well over 90% have it turned on.

RobG

Richard Cornford wrote:
[...]
Some of the HTTP experts I have read discussing this subject suggest
that the errors in such statistics gathering may be as much as two
orders of magnitude. Which means that a cited figure of, say 10%,
actually means somewhere between zero and 100%. A statistic that was not
really worth the effort of gathering.

And there you have it. Were they also statisticians and
suitably motivated, they would have devised appropriate
measurements and actually *calculated* the error in the
statistics.

To simply dismiss statistical analysis of Internet related data
as too unreliable based on the *opinion* of some HTTP experts
is illogical.

Statistics are designed expressly to measure things that are
not consistent or cannot be otherwise reliably estimated. If
estimating browser usage or JavaScript enablement was as simple
as counting sheep in a paddock then "statistics" (as in the
branch of applied mathematics) is not required at all, just a
simple count and comparison would suffice.

The issues you raise, such as caching and the vagaries of
browser identification, mean that statistics *must* be used.

Greg N.

Matt said:
However, the bigger and better question is... why do you want to know?

Simple. I have to decide if JS is suitable to implement a certain
function on my web page.

If that function does not work for, say, 40% of all visits, I'd have to
think about other means to implement it.

If it does not work for mere 5%, my decision would be: I don't care.

Matt Kruse

Greg said:
Simple. I have to decide if JS is suitable to implement a certain
function on my web page.
If that function does not work for, say, 40% of all visits, I'd have
to think about other means to implement it.
If it does not work for mere 5%, my decision would be: I don't care.

Why not provide both a javascript way of doing it and a non-javascript way?
This is what they call "degrading gracefully" and it's often not as much
trouble as you'd think.

But, if lost users are not that big of a deal (for example, if you're not
selling anything but rather just providing a convenient tool for people to
use) then your dilemma is perfectly understandable.

Perhaps an approach like this would work for you:

onClick="location.href='newpage.html';return false;">Go to the page</a>

This way, your javascript_message.html page could explain why javascript is
required, and provide a contact form for any users who find this to be an
annoyance. JS-enabled users will simply navigate to newpage.html.

This way, if you get no complaints and your log file shows very few hits to
javascript_message.html, you can decide whether or not to ignore the
non-JS-enabled users.

Randy Webb

RobG said:
Richard Cornford wrote:
[...]
Some of the HTTP experts I have read discussing this subject suggest
that the errors in such statistics gathering may be as much as two
orders of magnitude. Which means that a cited figure of, say 10%,
actually means somewhere between zero and 100%. A statistic that was not
really worth the effort of gathering.

And there you have it. Were they also statisticians and
suitably motivated, they would have devised appropriate
measurements and actually *calculated* the error in the
statistics.

But the reason they don't calculate that margin of error is the same
reason that the statistics weren't any good to start with. It's
impossible to determine, even with a margin of error.
To simply dismiss statistical analysis of Internet related data
as too unreliable based on the *opinion* of some HTTP experts
is illogical.

It is not based on HTTP experts opinions, it (my opinion anyway) is
based on my common sense and the knowledge of how IE, Opera, and Mozilla
load webpages with requests from the server.
The issues you raise, such as caching and the vagaries of
browser identification, mean that statistics *must* be used.

No, it means they are useless because you are collecting stats on the
caching proxies, not on the viewers.

RobG

Randy said:
RobG wrote:
[...]
And there you have it. Were they also statisticians and
suitably motivated, they would have devised appropriate
measurements and actually *calculated* the error in the
statistics.

But the reason they don't calculate that margin of error is the same
reason that the statistics weren't any good to start with. It's
impossible to determine, even with a margin of error.

I beg to differ. I think it is possible to estimate the error,
though I agree that collecting data from a single server is
unlikely to produce reliable results. But...
It is not based on HTTP experts opinions, it (my opinion anyway) is
based on my common sense and the knowledge of how IE, Opera, and Mozilla
load webpages with requests from the server.

That is your opinion, which is only half the argument. The
other half is whether applied mathematics can create a model of
the system and accurately predict outcomes based on data
collected.

I do not doubt your knowledge of Internet systems, nor your
ability to apply that to problems within your realm if
expertise, but I find your lack of faith in statistical
modeling disturbing...

<that needed a Darth Vader voice ;-) >

...so I'll bet you aren't a statistician.
No, it means they are useless because you are collecting stats on the
caching proxies, not on the viewers.

No, it means you can't conceive a model that allows for them
(the issues).

Measurements made and analyzed without regard for errors
inherent in the system will be useless, but the fact that you
claim intimate knowledge of those very errors means it is highly
likely that an accurate measurement system can be devised.

All that is required is a properly configured web page that
gets perhaps a few thousand hits per day from a suitably
representative sample of the web surfer population.

Richard Cornford

You appear have decided to dismiss the "opinion" of HTTP experts on the
grounds that they are not statisticians (or, more perversely, that they
do not understand how HTTP works, which wouldn't be a rational
conclusion). In practice HTTP experts are responsible for tasks such al
load balancing servers, which they do, at least in part, based on the
results of a statistical analyses of logged data. Of course for load
balancing the pertinent data relates only to the servers, and can be
gathered accurately on those servers. And some effort is expended
examining the best strategies for gathering and analysing server logged
data.

HTTP experts are not antagonistic towards the notion of deriving client
statistics from server logs because they are ignorant of statistical
analysis (or distrust it). They don't believe it can be done because the
_understand_ the mechanisms of HTTP. And they conclude from that
understanding of the mechanism that the unknowables as so significant in
the problem of making deductions about the clients that the results of
any such attempt must be meaningless.

Taking, for example, just on aspect of HTTP communication; a request
from a client at point A is addressed to a resource on a sever on the
network at point B. What factors determine the route it will take? The
network was very explicitly designed such that the exact route taken by
any packet of data is unimportant, the decisions are made by a wide
diversity of software implementations based on conditions that are local
and transient. The request may take any available route, and subsequent
requests will not necessarily follow the same route.

Does the route matter? Yes, it must if intervening caches are going to
influence the likelihood of a request from point A making it as far as
the server at point B in order to be logged. You might decide that some
sort of 'average' route could be used in the statistical analyses, but
given a global network the permutations of possible routes is extremely
large (to say the least) so an average will significantly differ from
reality most of the time because of the range involved.

Having blurred the path taken by an HTTP request into some sort of
average or model it is necessary to apply the influence of the caches.
Do you know what caching software exists, in what versions, with what
sort of distribution, and in which configurations? No? Well nobody does,
there is no requirement to disclose (and the majority of operators of
such software war likely to regard the information as confidential).

And this is the nature of HTTP, layers of unknown influences sitting on
top of layers of unknown influences. The reality is that modelling the
Internet from server logs is going to be like trying to make a
mathematical model of a cloud, from the inside.

Incidentally, I like the notion of a "suitably motivated" statistician.
There are people selling, and people buying, browser usage statistics
that they maintain are statistically accurate, regardless of
impossibility of acquiring such statistics (and without saying a word as
to how they overcome (or claim to have overcome) the issues). But in a
world where people are willing to exchange money for such statistics
maybe some are "suitably motivated" to produce numbers regardless. And
so long as those numbers correspond with the expectations of the people
paying will their veracity be questioned? I am always reminded of Hand
Christian Anderson's "The Emperor's new clothes".

... . The other half is whether applied mathematics
can create a model of the system and accurately
predict outcomes based on data collected.

You cannot deny that there are systems where mathematical modelling
cannot predict outcomes based on data. You cannot predict the outcome of
the next dice roll from any number of observations of preceding dice
rolls, and chaos makes weather systems no more than broadly predictable
over relatively short periods.
I do not doubt your knowledge of Internet systems,
nor your ability to apply that to problems within
your realm if expertise, but I find your lack of
faith in statistical modeling disturbing...
<snip>

I think maybe you should do some research into HTTP before you place too
much faith in the applicability of statistical modelling to it.
...so I'll bet you aren't a statistician.

I think maybe you should do some research into HTTP before you place too
much faith in the applicability of statistical modelling to it.
No, it means you can't conceive a model that allows
for them (the issues).

Who would be the best people to conceive a model that took the issues
into account? Wouldn't that be the HTTP experts who understand the
system? The people most certain that it cannot be done.
Measurements made and analyzed without regard for
errors inherent in the system will be useless,

Useless is what they should be (though some may choose to employ them
regardless).
but the fact that you claim intimate knowledge
of those very errors means it is highly likely that
an accurate measurement system can be devised.

What is being clamed is not ultimate knowledge of errors but the
knowledge that the factors influencing those errors are both not
quantifiable and significant.
All that is required
All?

is a properly configured web page

"web page"? Are we talking HTML then?
that gets perhaps a few thousand hits per
day from a suitably representative sample
of the web surfer population.

"suitably representative" is a bit of a vague sampling criteria. But if
a requirement for gathering accurate client statistics is to determine
what a "suitably representative" sample would be, don't you need some
sort of accurate client statistics to work out what constitutes
representative?

But, assuming it will work, what is it exactly that you propose can be
learnt from these sttistics?

Richard.

Greg N.

Richard Cornford wrote:

They don't believe it can be done because the
_understand_ the mechanisms ...

Reminds me of the old saying among engineers:

If an expert says, it can't be done, he's probably wrong.
If an expert says, it can be done, he's probably right.