How many ways can I execute ruby program?

Vijay Patel

Hi all,
I have to admit this is great language and good people to support it. I
am newbie, and learning. I have this question for now. How many ways can
I execute ruby program? 1) I know one is IRB (Interactive Ruby). This
way is good to test part of the whole program (or full program if it's
small). 2) Run the program by typing at command line (in windows) "ruby
abc.rb" In this case it runs program called abc.rb and gives output to
same window. Now my question is : Can I have my output in some kind of
output file instead of command window? Can I have log file, which can
show some other display kind of messages only? 3) Is there any other way
out there to execute ruby programs?

Thanks for taking time.

hemant kumar

Why not?

$ ruby blah.rb > foo.log 2> &1

Assuming if you are on Unix. People often, use logger library for logging
their Ruby application.If you are on Windowz, then there is one more way,
"rubyw", which will not keep the ruby interpretor running in foreground.

I have to admit this is great language and good people to support it. I am
newbie, and learning. I have this question for now. How many ways can I
execute ruby program? 1) I know one is IRB (Interactive Ruby). This way is
good to test part of the whole program (or full program if it's small). 2)
Run the program by typing at command line (in windows) "ruby abc.rb" In this
case it runs program called abc.rb and gives output to same window. Now my
question is : Can I have my output in some kind of output file instead of
command window? Can I have log file, which can show some other display kind
of messages only? 3) Is there any other way out there to execute ruby
programs?

Thanks for taking time.

Kev Jackson

same window. Now my question is : Can I have my output in some kind of
output file instead of command window? Can I have log file, which can
show some other display kind of messages only? 3) Is there any other w

Hi,

On *nix platforms, redirecting output to another file is as simple as
ruby my.rb > output.txt, I believe the same syntax works for windows.

To run the code without using ruby my.rb, you must include a shebang
line
eg
#!/path/to/ruby.exe

at the start of your program file, again on a linux/osx/bsd platform
this would probably be

#!/usr/bin/ruby

Kev

Jan Svitok

Recently (=w2k+),
ruby blah.rb > foo.log 2> &1

works on windows as well. Finally ;-)
(That will write all your output into file foo.log)
Hi,

On *nix platforms, redirecting output to another file is as simple as
ruby my.rb > output.txt, I believe the same syntax works for windows.

To run the code without using ruby my.rb, you must include a shebang

On windows, the shebang line doesn't work. You have to define
assocation with *.rb and ruby.exe, and have .rb in %PATHEXT%.
One-click installer does it for you. So it's enough to type blah.rb

J.