How much C# would be involved in writing an ASP.Net site?

Steve1 via DotNetMonster.com

Hi all,

I've just finished learning C#. I would like to move onto learning ASP.NET
but I would like to produce an ASP.NET site using C# so to cement my C#
skills. If I were to produce a basic ASP.NET site (say about car's) how much
C# would be involved and how much ASP.NET would be involved? i.e. What would
be the ratio between C# and ASP.NET code??

Thanks in advance,
Steve.

Leon Mayne [MVP]

Steve1 said:
I've just finished learning C#. I would like to move onto learning
ASP.NET but I would like to produce an ASP.NET site using C# so to
cement my C# skills. If I were to produce a basic ASP.NET site (say
about car's) how much C# would be involved and how much ASP.NET would
be involved? i.e. What would be the ratio between C# and ASP.NET
code??

ASP.NET is simply a terminology for using .NET code (e.g. C#) for web
applications, so all of your coding would be in C# (as well as using HTML,
of course!).

Eliyahu Goldin

Steve,

As a beginner, you will probably start with in a heavy server-side oriented
style with a lot of C#. As you progress and pick up experience, you will
transfer more and more things to client-side javascript code.

Eliyahu

Kevin Spencer

If I were to produce a basic ASP.NET site (say about car's) how much
C# would be involved and how much ASP.NET would be involved?

Based upon your description of the requirements, somewhere between a
paragraph and an encyclopedia.
What would
be the ratio between C# and ASP.NET code??

C# code
_______________

ASP.NET code

Seriously, knowing the syntax of a programming language is just the first
step on a long, difficult, and highly rewarding road to becoming a serious
professional programmer. If you've written Windows executables with C#, you
have made a start, but are a long way from creating an ASP.Net web
application. An ASP.Net web application is a network application that runs
on a web server. It handles multiple clients at the same time, and involves
all of the other network application issues as well. In addition, it
operates in the context of the stateless HTTP protocol, which means that
you're going to have to learn a whole new way of managing memory and state.
The user interface is mostly HTML and XML , text markup languages that are
spit out to the client AS text, and you need to understand HTML and XML as
well. The client browser has a highly limited capacity to perform tasks, and
operates in an extremely strict security context (unlike a Windows Forms
executable). You will have to learn JavaScript, and probably CSS as well,
and understand what can and cannot be done in a browser.

Do yourself a favor and get a good book (or 2 or 3) about ASP.Net before you
try to jump into it. If you don't have it already, the Microsoft .Net SDK is
an invaluable resource, and it's a free download:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A6-3647-4070-9F41-A333C6B9181D&displaylang=en

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Big things are made up of
lots of little things.

Steve1 via DotNetMonster.com

Thanks to all the guy's who've replied and thanks Kevin for your informative
reply.

All I really want to do is produce a 10-ish page web site on a topic about
cars or something. This would allow me to learn a new skill (ASP.NET) but
also cement my C# skills. Although, Kevin I'm wondering if start learning
ASP.NET it will totalling distract me from C# and thus me probably forgetting
C#!??

Thanks,
Dan.

Terry Olsen

heh...I didn't think it was possible to "finish" learning a programming
language... ;)

Terry Olsen

You have to work with it every day. I found that I get really good if I
work in the language every day. When I take a vacation or get busy with
other things for a while, then go back to program, I find that I've
forgotten how to do even simple things. Always keep the reference books
handy...

Juan T. Llibre

re:
I'm wondering if start learning ASP.NET it will totally distract
me from C# and thus me probably forgetting C#!??

Only if you learn ASP.NET using VB.NET.

;-)

There's three things you can do with C# :

1. Write Windows Applications
2. Write Web Applications
3. Write Console Applications

No matter which type of applications you write, you can't
forget C# because you'll be using C# to write them with.