    Similarly, how much for medium and tinytext? Thank you for helping me
    understand this. Dave

    , Apr 19, 2006

  2. Oli Filth Guest

    said the following on 19/04/2006 10:24:
    > If I use a MySQL longtext to receive data from a <TEXTAREA> via FORM
    > POST - how many characters can I transmit before it poofs out?
    > Similarly, how much for medium and tinytext? Thank you for helping me
    > understand this. Dave

    RTFM!!

    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/data-types.html

    --
    Oli

    Oli Filth, Apr 19, 2006

    Oli Filth wrote:
    > said the following on 19/04/2006 10:24:
    > > If I use a MySQL longtext to receive data from a <TEXTAREA> via FORM
    > > POST - how many characters can I transmit before it poofs out?
    > > Similarly, how much for medium and tinytext? Thank you for helping me
    > > understand this. Dave

    > RTFM!!
    >
    > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/data-types.html
    >
    > --
    > Oli

    Thank you for the link. Have a professionally great day :<-

    , Apr 19, 2006

    btw- your answer was poor quality, be sure to research the question
    before responding to the network next time. ok?

    , Apr 19, 2006
  5. wrote:
    > btw- your answer was poor quality, be sure to research the question
    > before responding to the network next time. ok?

    Actually it was of very good quality because you could have found your
    answer there if you view it.

    The given URL

    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/data-types.html

    explains the different data types where you could have learned that:

    "The four BLOB types are TINYBLOB, BLOB, MEDIUMBLOB, and LONGBLOB.
    These differ only in the maximum length of the values they can hold. The
    four TEXT types are TINYTEXT, TEXT, MEDIUMTEXT, and LONGTEXT. These
    correspond to the four BLOB types and have the same maximum lengths and
    storage requirements. See Section 11.5, “Data Type Storage Requirements”."

    And if you when to referenced link, Section 11.5

    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/storage-requirements.html

    You would have discovered *exactly* what you wanted to know:

    <your question 'that you did not properly quote in your response'>

    If I use a MySQL longtext to receive data from a <TEXTAREA> via FORM
    POST - how many characters can I transmit before it poofs out?
    Similarly, how much for medium and tinytext? Thank you for helping me
    understand this.

    </your question>

    The storage limits, i.e., maximum number of characters each data type
    can handle.

    You're welcome. And learn to quote when you use Usenet.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Apr 19, 2006
  6. Oli Filth Guest

    said the following on 19/04/2006 15:04:
    > btw- your answer was poor quality, be sure to research the question
    > before responding to the network next time. ok?

    What's that supposed to mean??? It's *your* job to research the
    question, preferably by RTFM before posting here.

    --
    Oli

    Oli Filth, Apr 19, 2006
  7. Ehsan Guest

    Interesting thread!!

    Anyway no matter if it is PHP or MySQL or Apache (LAMP or WAMP) the
    resources are all out there. Specially the great manuals that guys have
    put up for us to read!! Please go through the manual first, reasearch
    on net (type in the keywords in google) and I can bet you will find
    your answer quicker than posting in groups and waiting for an answer.

    Hope Reading The ***FANTASTIC*** Manuals will help us all!! <-- Was
    there any mistake!!??

    Thanks and God Bless!!

    Ehsan
    http://ehsan.bdwebwork.com

    Ehsan, Apr 19, 2006
  8. wrote:
    > btw- your answer was poor quality, be sure to research the question
    > before responding to the network next time. ok?

    You idiot. How about RTFM before asking.

    Learn to quote properly, too, you muppet.

    --
    Hywel

    Hywel Jenkins, Apr 19, 2006

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > btw- your answer was poor quality, be sure to research the question
    > > before responding to the network next time. ok?
    > >

    > Actually it was of very good quality because you could have found your
    > answer there if you view it.
    >
    > The given URL
    >
    > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/data-types.html
    >
    > explains the different data types where you could have learned that:
    >
    > "The four BLOB types are TINYBLOB, BLOB, MEDIUMBLOB, and LONGBLOB.
    > These differ only in the maximum length of the values they can hold. The
    > four TEXT types are TINYTEXT, TEXT, MEDIUMTEXT, and LONGTEXT. These
    > correspond to the four BLOB types and have the same maximum lengths and
    > storage requirements. See Section 11.5, "Data Type Storage Requirements"."
    >
    > And if you when to referenced link, Section 11.5
    >
    > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/storage-requirements.html
    >
    > You would have discovered *exactly* what you wanted to know:
    >
    > <your question 'that you did not properly quote in your response'>
    >
    > If I use a MySQL longtext to receive data from a <TEXTAREA> via FORM
    > POST - how many characters can I transmit before it poofs out?
    > Similarly, how much for medium and tinytext? Thank you for helping me
    > understand this.
    >
    > </your question>
    >
    > The storage limits, i.e., maximum number of characters each data type
    > can handle.
    >
    > You're welcome. And learn to quote when you use Usenet.
    >
    > --
    > Take care,
    >
    > Jonathan
    > -------------------
    > LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    > http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    I guess we have different views. If anybody knows the answer, not
    "it's in the book" - and has run real-world tests, please share
    succient knowledge so you can help advance my knowledge (and others who
    could be interested). Though one day it might be interesting to
    carefully read the entire ref-manual - I am hoping to get some friendly
    dialog going about textbox data. If you don't share that specific
    interest, please stay out of the thread or acting as a quasi-group
    moderator.

    PS - others, learn how to use this network. Your messages are
    beginning to sound like "e-annoyances" - i.e. insults, which can send
    you to jail these new months you're in. Better get nice. I don't want
    to see them on my screen.

    http://news.com.com/Create an e-annoyance, go to jail/2010-1028_3-6022491.html

    , Apr 20, 2006
  10. Oli Filth Guest

    wrote:

    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > > wrote:
    > > > btw- your answer was poor quality, be sure to research the question
    > > > before responding to the network next time. ok?
    > > >

    > > Actually it was of very good quality because you could have found your
    > > answer there if you view it.
    > >
    > > The given URL
    > >
    > > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/data-types.html
    > >
    > > explains the different data types where you could have learned that:
    > >
    > > "The four BLOB types are TINYBLOB, BLOB, MEDIUMBLOB, and LONGBLOB.
    > > These differ only in the maximum length of the values they can hold. The
    > > four TEXT types are TINYTEXT, TEXT, MEDIUMTEXT, and LONGTEXT. These
    > > correspond to the four BLOB types and have the same maximum lengths and
    > > storage requirements. See Section 11.5, "Data Type Storage Requirements"."
    > >
    > > And if you when to referenced link, Section 11.5
    > >
    > > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/storage-requirements.html
    > >
    > > You would have discovered *exactly* what you wanted to know:
    > >
    > > <your question 'that you did not properly quote in your response'>
    > >
    > > If I use a MySQL longtext to receive data from a <TEXTAREA> via FORM
    > > POST - how many characters can I transmit before it poofs out?
    > > Similarly, how much for medium and tinytext? Thank you for helping me
    > > understand this.
    > >
    > > </your question>
    > >
    > > The storage limits, i.e., maximum number of characters each data type
    > > can handle.
    > >
    > > You're welcome. And learn to quote when you use Usenet.

    > I guess we have different views. If anybody knows the answer, not
    > "it's in the book" - and has run real-world tests, please share
    > succient knowledge so you can help advance my knowledge (and others who
    > could be interested). Though one day it might be interesting to
    > carefully read the entire ref-manual - I am hoping to get some friendly
    > dialog going about textbox data. If you don't share that specific
    > interest, please stay out of the thread or acting as a quasi-group
    > moderator.
    >
    > PS - others, learn how to use this network. Your messages are
    > beginning to sound like "e-annoyances" - i.e. insults, which can send
    > you to jail these new months you're in. Better get nice. I don't want
    > to see them on my screen.

    Stop being a dickhead and/or troll. This is a newsgroup, not a
    "network"; the regulars here know "how to use" it. If you can't even
    be arsed to look in the manual for the tool you're using, then what
    sort of response do you expect? You were pointed to the exact location
    to find the information you needed; why are you complaining?

    You want to "advance your knowledge"? The best way to do that is to
    learn how to find the information yourself. Newsgroups are here to
    help, but not here to spoon feed you facts which are in the obvious
    place (MySQL -> manual -> data types). Even if you couldn't work that
    out (which is fair enough if you're new to this), then the least you
    could've tried is run a search for "longtext" on the MySQL docs page
    (or even on Google, which would've got you the answer pretty quickly).
    Failing that, reading through sections of the manual is how people find
    stuff out.

    P.S. The twattish "annoyances" law doesn't apply to me, I'm in the UK.

    --
    Oli

    Oli Filth, Apr 20, 2006

    Well, it's a terrible climate in this newsgroup. It can't be that
    frustrating to remember information. If that's not the case here then
    I'm sorry your wasting so much time typing. :p

    , Apr 20, 2006
  12. Wog George Guest

    "Oli Filth" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > be arsed to look in the manual for the tool you're using, then what
    > sort of response do you expect? You were pointed to the exact location
    > to find the information you needed; why are you complaining?
    >
    > You want to "advance your knowledge"? The best way to do that is to
    > learn how to find the information yourself. Newsgroups are here to
    > help, but not here to spoon feed you facts which are in the obvious
    > place (MySQL -> manual -> data types). Even if you couldn't work that
    > out (which is fair enough if you're new to this), then the least you
    > could've tried is run a search for "longtext" on the MySQL docs page
    > (or even on Google, which would've got you the answer pretty quickly).
    > Failing that, reading through sections of the manual is how people find
    > stuff out.
    >

    > P.S. The twattish "annoyances" law doesn't apply to me, I'm in the UK.

    As per your suggestion...

    Results 1 - 10 of about 116,000 for php longtext. (0.71 seconds)

    The description of the first match is "PHP Freaks is an online PHP Help
    community that provides PHP Tutorials, PHP Examples, PHP Scripts, PHP
    Support, Web Developer Documentation and more."

    Perhaps the OP should just learn from this and move on, rather than continue
    to provide us with evidence...

    --
    George
    "If we're still alive in the morning then we'll know we're not dead" - Randy

    Wog George, Apr 20, 2006
  13. Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, vouchsafed:

    > Well, it's a terrible climate in this newsgroup. It can't be that
    > frustrating to remember information. If that's not the case here then
    > I'm sorry your wasting so much time typing. :p

    I hear ya, sunshine. However, if you spent as much time doing research as
    you do whining, maybe the clouds in your head would clear up. Crickety,
    you haven't even learned how to post a reply correctly yet.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity has its limits.

    Neredbojias, Apr 20, 2006
  14. robert Guest

    omg...come ON!

    this newsgroup is fine. the "climate" only changes on a per thread
    basis...especially when it seems someone is too lazy or too stupi...well,
    just can't seem to find the single tree on the prairie - no forest for
    miles.

    sure, we remember a LOT. we've done OUR homework and we find most answers
    ourselves - helps us learn faster and we own what we come to understand.
    then if finally all else fails, we make the desperate leap and post to the
    ng. AND WE GET PISSED when some jerkoff riles everyone up saying WE are at
    fault when an op obviously IS lazy or just plain stupid.

    we solve PROBLEMS here...your problem IS READING THE FUCKING MANUAL. now,
    get on with life.

    as for time "wasted"...how ironic that you don't see that's exactly what
    we're pissed off at...yet you joke about it. you wasted our time posting
    questions about shit that smells so bad you can't help but find it!

    foad.

    robert, Apr 20, 2006

    #1 when using Usenet is is proper not to include signatures of quoted
    message in your quote, the bit after the '--' in my message below.

    #2 Excuse me? This is a newsgroup for discussion, it is not your
    personal help desk. Want a help desk then pony up the bucks and
    subscribe to one. If you get an answer to your question here then fine,
    if not that is fine too. No one is obligated to answer your questions,
    but in spite of this Oli *did* point you to the selection in the manual
    where the answer was. You did get your answer.

    #3 Oh you think this is harassment? A tip for you, maybe prudent to
    browse Usenet *first before you post*. If you want harassment try
    alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk, alt.usenet.kooks, alt.flame,
    alt.html, alt.2600, news.abuse.net-abuse.usenet
    or get involved the a Hatter thread.

    #4 Yeah right. Bush is more clueless about the Internet than he is about
    all the other things that he is clueless about. This thread hardly applies.

    > http://news.com.com/Create an e-annoyance, go to jail/2010-1028_3-6022491.html

    Hey dorame, this guy thinks I'm harassing him!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Apr 20, 2006
  16. Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> btw- your answer was poor quality, be sure to research the question
    >> before responding to the network next time. ok?

    > You idiot. How about RTFM before asking.
    >
    > Learn to quote properly, too, you muppet.

    Well he has learned how to get on our *good* side.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Apr 20, 2006

    Again, if you don't know the answer, or want to -subordinate- others
    please don't use the network. It's not helpful and only increases the
    negative conditions across this part of the network. You can continue
    playing word volleyball now, but it isn't helpful and doesn't represent
    you as a good person, even if you really are. Dave

    , Apr 20, 2006
  18. robert Guest

    you FUCKING TROLL !!!

    this is NOT a network...it is a NEWS GROUP.

    if YOU don't know the answer, RTFM!!! i suspect you know your welcome has
    been warn out here...no sense in you EVER coming back.

    now FOAD.

    robert, Apr 20, 2006

    I don't know who you are. I will open a ticket with your domain
    registrar for abuse, if you don't stop annoying me and others. Last
    warning.

  20. robert Guest

    **** off...further investigation will show how you are the annoying troll
    AND you're the one coming back for more...btw, bush does NOT own the
    internet...fucking moron.

    robert, Apr 20, 2006