How much is Bill worth right now?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Me_and_you, Dec 30, 2004.

  1. Me_and_you

    Me_and_you Guest

    From:
    http://evan.quuxuum.org/bgnw.html#Worth

    Interesting stuff. read for yourself:
    ----------------------
    How much is Bill worth right now?
    We obviously do not have a full reckoning of everything Bill owns. But,
    according to the Yahoo! Insider Trades site, Bill has 1,077,499,336 shares
    of MSFT.
    This figure reflects all trades made through Nov/04/30, which is the most
    recent trade. (Thanks to Jeff Call for the pointer!)
    As of 13:50 on 12/06/04 , Microsoft was selling for $27.38 .
    Some simple multiplication tells us that he owns $29,501,931,819.68 worth of
    Microsoft stock. (That's $29.5 Billion.)
    MSFT: Microsoft Stock

    Microsoft has a total of 10,700,000,000 shares outstanding, worth a total of
    $292,966,000,000, which is Microsoft's market capitalization. (That's
    $292.97 Billion.)
    Bill's 1,077,499,336 shares represents 10.07% of Microsoft.
    On March 13, 1986, the day Microsoft went public, according to Microsoft's
    Public Relations Department, Bill owned 11,142,000 shares of MSFT stock. At
    MSFT's IPO price of $21 per share Bill's initial fortune was worth
    $233,982,000 or $233.98 Million. Adjusted for splits, if Bill had not sold
    any stock since then, he would have 3,208,896,000 shares. Those shares would
    be worth $87,859,572,480.00 or $87.86 Billion today. Thanks to Michael Noer
    and Julie Sullivan at Wired Magazine for their help here.
    Microsoft stock's all-time high price (adjusted for splits) is $119.75. That
    means that Bill's all-time high net worth (if he hadn't sold any shares) is:
    $129,030,545,486.00 or $129.03 Billion.
    If Bill had never sold any of his MSFT stock, at his maximum price, Bill's
    share would be worth: $384,265,296,000.00 or $384.27 Billion.
    Microsoft went public on March 13, 1986. Its IPO price was $21/share, which,
    after adjustments for splits is equivalent to 7.29¢.
    Microsoft stock has split a total of 9 times, increasing the number of
    shares, and decreasing each share's value by a factor of 288. If MSFT stock
    had never split, the share price today would be $7885.44. (Thanks to Michael
    Chauvin for the suggestion)
    Important Disclaimer

    No Microsoft employee, including Bill Gates has anything to do with the
    creation and maintenance of this web site. As far as we know, Bill has never
    even seen this site. The people who maintain this site are of average
    financial means, and have no access whatsoever to Mr. Gates' vast fortune.
    While we are sure that there are some people reading this page who are in
    genuine need of financial assistance, PLEASE stop asking us for donations of
    Mr. Gates' money. We simply don't have any of it. (We often wish we did,
    too, though.) Thank you.
    We also have no way of contacting Mr. Gates. You can visit his web site,
    though. Any inquiries sent to us about sharing Mr. Gates's wealth will be
    ignored.

    ......... Read more at : http://evan.quuxuum.org/bgnw.html#Worth
    Me_and_you, Dec 30, 2004

  2. Me_and_you

    Moe Green Guest

    I think according to Fortune that right now the guy who owns IKEA is now
    the richest many in the world. As Linux pummels his stock, Gates will
    probably drop further down the list.

    http://in.news.yahoo.com/040404/137/2cdva.html
    World

    IKEA founder overtakes Gates as world's richest - TV

    STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Ingvar Kamprad, the Swede who founded furniture
    retail chain IKEA, has overtaken Microsoft's Bill Gates as the world's
    richest man, Swedish TV news reported on Sunday.

    Citing next week's edition of the Swedish business weekly Veckans
    Affarer, public service SVT2 television said Kamprad, 77, has a personal
    fortune of 400 billion crowns ($53 billion).

    Moe Green, Dec 30, 2004

  3. that would be true, if Ingvar Kamprad actually owned IKEA, but he doesn't.

    According to the an IKEA spokesman, Ingvar donated the concern to the Dutch
    Stichting INGKA Foundation in 1982.

    Bill is still on top. Doesn't mean anything.
    --
    --- Nick Malik [Microsoft]
    MCSD, CFPS, Certified Scrummaster

    Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this forum are my own, and not
    representative of my employer.
    I do not answer questions on behalf of my employer. I'm just a
    programmer helping programmers.

    Nick Malik [Microsoft], Dec 30, 2004
  4. Me_and_you

    Supra Guest

    what about warren buffet!!!!!!!!

    Supra, Dec 31, 2004
  5. Me_and_you

    Cor Ligthert Guest

    Nick,

    A Dutch Stichting is a foundation.

    It can be something as the Bill Gates Foundation, however I doubt it, I saw
    in a Dutch webpage about this that it seems to be only a postbox. Before you
    wrote it, did I not even knew that it existed.

    Cor
    Cor Ligthert, Dec 31, 2004
  6. Me_and_you

    John Waller Guest

    John Waller, Dec 31, 2004
  7. Me_and_you

    Moonraker Guest

    John Waller wrote:

    >> I think according to Fortune that right now the guy who owns IKEA is now

    One thing is for sure.

    Gate$ wealth declined by half after the stock market crash and has never
    recovered.

    Since then, he has furiously been dumping stock on the market, which is the
    reason MSFT has been stagnant.

    Now, the growth of Linux threatens his dominance.
    Moonraker, Dec 31, 2004
  8. http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/general/2004-02-26-forbeslist1.htm

    I am not an expert on these things. I refer you to Forbes magazine and USA
    Today.

    Nick Malik [Microsoft], Dec 31, 2004
  9. Me_and_you

    Methuz Guest

    It doesn't help him either that his wife is tossing out 500 million
    dollar chunks as gifts to various recipients.

    Methuz, Dec 31, 2004
  10. Me_and_you

    Moonraker Guest

    Nick Malik [Microsoft] wrote:

    > http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/general/2004-02-26-forbeslist1.htm
    >
    > I am not an expert on these things. I refer you to Forbes magazine and
    > USA Today.

    Well, that's all well and good, but in the case of Gates' wealth it's
    Catch-22.

    As the largest shareholder in MSFT, if he were to sell his stock suddenly,
    the price would plunge, and as he sold it, each share would be worth less
    and less. If he hangs on to it, it's worth more, theorectically, but he
    can't spend it.

    If wealth were measured in liquid assets only, it would be a different
    picture entirely.
    Moonraker, Dec 31, 2004
  11. Me_and_you

    John Waller Guest

    > Now, the growth of Linux threatens his dominance.

    Time will tell.

    Microsoft is certainly watching Linux closely and I've noticed a change in
    emphasis in Microsoft's marketing machine e.g. trying to prove that
    Microsoft solutions are cheaper in the long run than open source solutions.

    However, Linux has issues of its own in terms of coordination of research
    efforts, resources and so on.

    Not to mention the fact that Linux products have not really taken the
    sustained and massive security hammering that MS products have had to endure
    for the last couple of years which can only make MS products better in
    future.

    --
    Regards

    John Waller
    John Waller, Jan 1, 2005
  12. Me_and_you

    John Waller Guest

    > As the largest shareholder in MSFT, if he were to sell his stock suddenly,
    > the price would plunge, and as he sold it, each share would be worth less
    > and less. If he hangs on to it, it's worth more, theorectically, but he
    > can't spend it.

    The same could be said for most of the Forbes billionaire list.

    This line of argument seems to me to be self-defeating.

    --
    Regards

    John Waller
    John Waller, Jan 1, 2005
  13. In article <QRhBd.831889$8_6.508638@attbi_s04>,
    says...
    > http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/general/2004-02-26-forbeslist1.htm
    >
    > I am not an expert on these things. I refer you to Forbes magazine and USA
    > Today.

    The Bible in the Book of ..... Chapt .. Verse ... says that "A rich man
    has as much of a chance of going to heaven as a Camel does passing
    through the eye of a needle"

    So Will Bill, send me a couple of hundred thousand dollars on a grant
    basis. I have found a country that is beautiful, peaceful, and it has
    nothing America wants. The average family there makes about $500.00 a
    year.

    I need some moving and setup money so I can get out of this crazy
    psychotic country.

    Mr Gates this information I just shared with you can save your soul. So
    save mine. Email me and I will send you my mailing address.

    I'm sick of the mad dog insanity and hatred that is rampant in this
    country now.

    Peace
    --

    The UNITED NATIONS... is the worlds police person; not the United
    States!

    Morris Dees for PRESIDENT!! He is a GREAT White American Terrorist
    fighter. http://archives.cnn.com/2000/LAW/09/08/morris.dees.profile/
    www.splcenter.org/center/history/dees.jsp

    BELIEVE IT...OR NOT! VIEW:
    Clyde Lee Benson, Jan 1, 2005
  14. Me_and_you

    Lloyd Guest

    Did you hear from him yet??
    Let me know if it works, I will hit him up for some dough too.....
    Lloyd

    Lloyd, Jan 2, 2005
  15. yes me too. i'll even give a penny or two to charity.

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Jan 3, 2005
  16. In article <#>, "Alvin Bruney
    [MVP]" <vapor at steaming post office> says...
    > yes me too. i'll even give a penny or two to charity.

    Bon Soir Monsieur,

    So far nothing! I'm an optimist though. I think like the fellow who
    jumped off the empire state building. When he passed the 60th floor on
    the way down, he said to himself "So far... So good"
    --

    The UNITED NATIONS... is the worlds police person; not the United
    States!

    Morris Dees for PRESIDENT!! He is a GREAT American Terrorist fighter.
    Clyde Lee Benson, Jan 7, 2005
  17. Me_and_you

    Kelly Guest

    Ask Melinda?

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Kelly, Jan 7, 2005
  18. Me_and_you

    B Smith Guest

    > Nick Malik [Microsoft] wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/general/2004-02-26-forbeslist1.htm
    >>
    >> I am not an expert on these things. I refer you to Forbes magazine and
    >> USA Today.
    >>

    > Well, that's all well and good, but in the case of Gates' wealth it's
    > Catch-22.
    >
    > As the largest shareholder in MSFT, if he were to sell his stock suddenly,
    > the price would plunge, and as he sold it, each share would be worth less
    > and less. If he hangs on to it, it's worth more, theorectically, but he
    > can't spend it.
    >
    > If wealth were measured in liquid assets only, it would be a different
    > picture entirely.

    His wife gives away chunks of 500 million...now that's pretty liquid I'd say.
    B Smith, Jan 10, 2005
  19. Me_and_you

    SFB - KB3MM Guest

    Bill and Oprah have both done a ot of good with their money.

    SFB - KB3MM, Feb 12, 2005