How much memory SHOULD user pc need running asp.net app?

Kathy Burke

Hi. Yet another question.

We're running a new asp.net app off a production network server. The PC
is a PentiumII/III with 128MB of RAM.

When running the app, the memory uses read at about 190MB.

Just looking for some opinions. The app is not that complicated. Runs on
our internet. Some SQL db used and HTML docs are rendered using
XmlTransform class.

The memory hits 190 at the point the .net page is just sitting there
(just HTML at that point) with the user page inactive. The only app
running is IE5.5

My question is: how much memory is enough given the above? I'm a bit
surprised that it's such a memory hog. Some of the production PCs are a
bit older with 128MB but shouldn't that be ok given we're just running
IE and HTML (in effect). Or am I TOTALLY missing the boat here?
(admittedly not too technical when it comes to this)

TIA for comments/opinions/facts...
Kathy

Max

Pentium II or III ?? Think it's time to upgrade man that's like 5 year old
technology. You can build a new server about *20 times faster* than your
present system for about $600. lol!

-Max

Mahesh ChandraMouli[MVP]

Hi,

Is your production server configuration is 128 MB RAM?
If that is true, then u need increase ur RAM and Hard
Disk it atleast minimum needs 256 MB RAM and 40 GB of
hard disk with P4.

Regards
Mahesh ChandraMouli
Microsoft .NET MVP|MCAD

Kathy Burke

Sorry, wasn't clear enough! The server is fine. I'm asking about the
user pc memory. When run with only 128MB RAM, all kinds of problems with
session variables lost, etc. App runs fine on computers with 256MB.

My question is because we are running this in a manufacturing
environment. Just upgrading to new machines (there are quite a few) is
not an easy thing in this case (not my call, if you know what I mean...)
budget is tight, etc.

Anyhow, just wanted to know what a user PC running an intranet app with
maybe 15 itty, bitty session variables in play (single words not large
strings) REQUIRES in minimum RAM. Obviously, I suspect that 128MB is NOT
enough, but was wondering if it is JUST that issue or something else.

Thanks again,

Kathy

Martyn Fewtrell

I'm no expert here but assuming that most of the ASP.NET code runs on the
server (you don't have heap loads of client side JavaScript) then there
should be little or no impact on the client. Providing the client can use a
Browser then it should work fine. The whole idea behind this technology is
to move the workload onto the server so that virtually any client can handle
the job whether a new PC, an ancient PC mobile telephone or whatever. The
Session state will be used on the server and will have no impact on the
client memory.

Just as long as the PC runs a browser you should have no problems.

Martyn Fewtrell
(e-mail address removed)

Kathy Burke

Thanks Martyn.

What would be considered "heaps" of client side javascript?

In this app, there is a "work instruction" page that loads xml
(XmlTransform class) which does contain quite a few button onclick
events (buttons are created via xsl stylesheet).

Does all the script reside in client memory? I thought it was still just
html test until run (with a button click, for example).

Thanks again.

Kathy

Hermit Dave

Kathy,

Okay heaps of javascript would essentially be for the client facing
machines.
Consider this. I work for a bank and they have a need to constantly monitor
client interaction to keep session alive.
The app that was orignally designed used to javascript to capture all events
to reset the timer. If you use something like that... you need a good amount
of RAM and a half decent processor.atleast 256 megs of ram and a PII 350
Mhz. (one such a spec the app registers atleast 50% processor usage on
client's machine due to intensive javascript)

Sever on the other hand is totally different. With ASP.NET whole lot of
processing is done on server side. All the session variables are stored in
memory on the server. So Consider the basic requriments for RAM
give aspnet_wp.exe the worker process atleast around 50 megs.
add the total size of all the session variables + the avg number of
concurrent users (each user has their own session)
if you dont have sufficient RAM then the pagefile on hdd is utilised and
that can cause slight sluggishness on server (ie slower response)
For a win2k server installation i would say atleast 256 Megs (after
harddening your box to reduce the memory used)

Hope this helps,

Regards,

HD

Kathy Burke

Thanks HD. Server certainly has plenty of power. Problem seems to be
some of the older pc's on the mfg floor.

The javascript I'm using is only activated here and there to post data
to the server db via stored procs in business layer, etc. Example,
button onclick is a window.open event for a user input form which is
then posted to the server to save some simple data. I think I see what
you mean by more constant "checking" by the server on your app,
requiring javascript in play quite frequenty.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll go test some more pc's and go from
there.

Kathy

Kathy Burke

TURNS OUT TO BE A SIMPLE INTERNET EXPLORER SETTING. The temporary
internet files - settings - of the PCs that didn't work were set to
NEVER check for newer versions of stored pages...so my reloaded pages
with new variables never actually were there...ugh! Hope this helps
someone else some day. Make sure your user PCs are set to AUTOMATICALLY.

Thanks again for the replies.

Kathy