    based upon the stated assumptions you make. Of course, if you're an
    accountant and have been tracking this from the get go, do show us "the
    bottom line" figure!

    DaveB, Apr 5, 2010

  2. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    "DaveB" <> wrote in message
    news:paeun.75801$...
    >I don't think most people don't, as I don't obviously, have any idea of
    >the amount of effort expended to date that is attributable to R&D of
    >C++. I'm seeking a number: a monetized value. The time value of money
    >should be taken into account or at least addressed if it is relevant and
    >it's OK to state that you don't know what that means and it doesn't
    >exclude anyone from giving an analysis, but please be serious and give
    >it some thought and do state your assumptions. I do ask you to not throw
    >out unthought or curt answers or WAGs. I'm really just looking for
    >opinions based upon the stated assumptions you make. Of course, if
    >you're an accountant and have been tracking this from the get go, do
    >show us "the bottom line" figure!

    The lead-in should have read:

    I don't think most people, as I don't obviously, have any idea...

    DaveB, Apr 5, 2010

  3. DaveB

    tonydee Guest

    On Apr 5, 2:03 pm, "DaveB" <> wrote:
    > I don't think most people don't, as I don't obviously, have any idea of
    > the amount of effort expended to date that is attributable to R&D of C++.
    > I'm seeking a number: a monetized value. The time value of money should
    > be taken into account or at least addressed if it is relevant and it's OK
    > to state that you don't know what that means and it doesn't exclude
    > anyone from giving an analysis, but please be serious and give it some
    > thought and do state your assumptions. I do ask you to not throw out
    > unthought or curt answers or WAGs. I'm really just looking for opinions
    > based upon the stated assumptions you make. Of course, if you're an
    > accountant and have been tracking this from the get go, do show us "the
    > bottom line" figure!

    I think you should put a thousandth of the effort that it would take
    to address this problem space into formulating a sensible question, so
    anyone interested or generous can focus on something useful to you.
    For a start: what's "R&D of C++"? The language, including or
    excluding the standard APIs? Their implementations in compilers and
    libraries? Academic studies about C++? Third-party libraries?
    Internally used C++ corporate libraries? Debuggers, profilers, memory-
    usage validation tools etc. supporting C++? ...

    Tony

    tonydee, Apr 5, 2010
  4. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    tonydee wrote:
    > On Apr 5, 2:03 pm, "DaveB" <> wrote:
    >> I don't think most people don't, as I don't obviously, have any idea
    >> of the amount of effort expended to date that is attributable to R&D
    >> of C++. I'm seeking a number: a monetized value. The time value of
    >> money should be taken into account or at least addressed if it is
    >> relevant and it's OK to state that you don't know what that means
    >> and it doesn't exclude anyone from giving an analysis, but please be
    >> serious and give it some thought and do state your assumptions. I do
    >> ask you to not throw out unthought or curt answers or WAGs. I'm
    >> really just looking for opinions based upon the stated assumptions
    >> you make. Of course, if you're an accountant and have been tracking
    >> this from the get go, do show us "the bottom line" figure!

    > I think you should put a thousandth of the effort that it would take
    > to address this problem space into formulating a sensible question, so
    > anyone interested or generous can focus on something useful to you.
    > For a start: what's "R&D of C++"? The language, including or
    > excluding the standard APIs? Their implementations in compilers and
    > libraries? Academic studies about C++? Third-party libraries?
    > Internally used C++ corporate libraries? Debuggers, profilers,
    > memory- usage validation tools etc. supporting C++? ...

    I knew the answer before I asked.

    DaveB, Apr 11, 2010