How much R&D has been done on C++?

DaveB

I don't think most people don't, as I don't obviously, have any idea of
the amount of effort expended to date that is attributable to R&D of C++.
I'm seeking a number: a monetized value. The time value of money should
be taken into account or at least addressed if it is relevant and it's OK
to state that you don't know what that means and it doesn't exclude
anyone from giving an analysis, but please be serious and give it some
thought and do state your assumptions. I do ask you to not throw out
unthought or curt answers or WAGs. I'm really just looking for opinions
based upon the stated assumptions you make. Of course, if you're an
accountant and have been tracking this from the get go, do show us "the
bottom line" figure!

DaveB

DaveB said:
I don't think most people don't, as I don't obviously, have any idea of
the amount of effort expended to date that is attributable to R&D of
C++. I'm seeking a number: a monetized value. The time value of money
should be taken into account or at least addressed if it is relevant and
it's OK to state that you don't know what that means and it doesn't
exclude anyone from giving an analysis, but please be serious and give
it some thought and do state your assumptions. I do ask you to not throw
out unthought or curt answers or WAGs. I'm really just looking for
opinions based upon the stated assumptions you make. Of course, if
you're an accountant and have been tracking this from the get go, do
show us "the bottom line" figure!

The lead-in should have read:

I don't think most people, as I don't obviously, have any idea...

tonydee

I don't think most people don't, as I don't obviously, have any idea of
the amount of effort expended to date that is attributable to R&D of C++.
I'm seeking a number: a monetized value. The time value of money should
be taken into account or at least addressed if it is relevant and it's OK
to state that you don't know what that means and it doesn't exclude
anyone from giving an analysis, but please be serious and give it some
thought and do state your assumptions. I do ask you to not throw out
unthought or curt answers or WAGs. I'm really just looking for opinions
based upon the stated assumptions you make. Of course, if you're an
accountant and have been tracking this from the get go, do show us "the
bottom line" figure!

I think you should put a thousandth of the effort that it would take
to address this problem space into formulating a sensible question, so
anyone interested or generous can focus on something useful to you.
For a start: what's "R&D of C++"? The language, including or
excluding the standard APIs? Their implementations in compilers and
libraries? Academic studies about C++? Third-party libraries?
Internally used C++ corporate libraries? Debuggers, profilers, memory-
usage validation tools etc. supporting C++? ...

Tony

DaveB

tonydee said:
I think you should put a thousandth of the effort that it would take
to address this problem space into formulating a sensible question, so
anyone interested or generous can focus on something useful to you.
For a start: what's "R&D of C++"? The language, including or
excluding the standard APIs? Their implementations in compilers and
libraries? Academic studies about C++? Third-party libraries?
Internally used C++ corporate libraries? Debuggers, profilers,
memory- usage validation tools etc. supporting C++? ...

I knew the answer before I asked.