how mutch memory aspnet_wp.exe must use

ruca

Hi gurus,

Can anyone tell me please when I really must setup the value of memory that
aspnet_wp or w3wp must use in IIS server machine?

What I mean is that we have clients that have diferent specificatiosn in
their server machines that have IIS to runnning WebApplications. This can
change for example in RAM memory that is available. One have 1GB, other 2GB
and another 4GB. I.e., how can I know when I must change any configuration
in machine.config or even in IIS (at this case only in version 6.0) to limit
the memory that ASPNET process must use. I know the default value is 60% of
memory RAM, but is this ok in a 1GB memory RAM machine as it is ok in a 2GB
or 4GB memory RAM machine. Personally I don't think, but when can I change
this value?

I'm asking this because I have a client that have 2GB RAM and the aspnet
process grows until 1,3GB and then recycle (after some days of use, there
are 1800-2000 users using application). The problem is that this client have
other applications working there and the server not response efficiently to
requests when the process have this value. I should say that my WebApp use a
COM on some pages object and for that I'm using ReleseComObject. I should
say too that this WebApp is installed in a CLUSTER (may be this have
implications, I don't know).

I already run Profilers, windows performance for aspnet_wp, and mutch
more...

What do you sugest to do? Do I must limit the memory value that aspnet
process use to some value?
Where can I get more information of this (if possible from microsoft) to
present?

--
Programming ASP.NET with VB.NET

Thank's (if you try to help me)
Hope can help (if I try to help)

ruca

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

If you are mixing ASP.NET and classic ASP, you should not have issues, so I
assume you are talking either a) other web application types (websphere,
etc.) or b) other applications that are not web related. If the client is
mixing web functionality with other application services, this is not an
optimal situation. The web services/sites should have a dedicated machine or
cluster.
WebApp is installed in a CLUSTER (may be this have implications, I don't
know).

Could have HUGE implications. How are they balanced? How are the other
applications balanced? Where is state held? A single machine with multiple
types of apps presents issues. A cluster compounds the issues.

Can you throttle down memory? Certainly. Look at the memory used over a
short period of time (a few hours) and set the value down to that level. If
possible, this should be done in a "lab-type" situation prior to releasing
it on production. When you reset the level, all .NET apps will recycle, so
don't do it during the day on production (or let users know). I am not sure
what level to set it on, but examining the amount of memory used in a
reasonable amount of time and profiling the memory to see what is actually
active (I believe sysinternals.com has a free tool for this, otherwise you
will have to trialware or purchase).

Unfortunately, without knowing what it is beating up against, I am not 100%
confident this will solve your issue. It will if memory is the main issue,
but I am not fully convinced it is.

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

you are probably leaking com references. check to see if you use any double
dot notation.

a = comobj.object1.property;

this will cause a unmanged memory leak, as object1 will not be released
(until gc decides to). should be coded as:

obj1type obj1 = comobj.object1.
propertyType prop = obj1.property;
ReleaseComObject(obj1);
ReleaseComObject(comobj);