How next button in search works - Design problem

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Arsalan Ahmad, Mar 28, 2006.

  1. Hi,

    May be I am a newbie, or may be i dont have that much insight in following
    systems ..i.e. why i have some confusions as below:

    In many websites, when search is performed on some keywords (not only
    including google which perform general search but other sites which perform
    seach on a particular type of item in their database) then many search
    results are obtained (for example more than 100 or even more than 1000) but
    only limited amount of results are displayed in a page (like for example 10
    results per page). Thus in order to display the next 10 results, a user has
    to click on 'Next' button. Similarly, it is possible that a user can click
    on 'Previous' button to display the previous 10 results. My question is what
    are different mechanisms to perform this and which one would be most optimal
    than others?

    Why I am asking this question because, if we are performing a search by
    sending a query of keywords to a website then we get following procedure:

    Browser->Send Query->ASP.NET page(considering we are using ASP.NET although
    it could be PHP or ASP or JSP etc)

    Now internally from ASP.NET page, a database connection is opened (say using
    ADO.NET) and search is performed by sending a query to database and getting
    the results. So we get:

    ASP.NET page->Send query to database (using ADO.NET)

    Now database returns recordset containing more than lets say 100 records (or
    1000 records)

    Database->Send back 1000 records->ASP.NET page

    And then ASP.NET page send 10 records to client and drop the rest. So:

    ASP.NET page->Send 10 records->Client Browser.

    So now when the client press Next button what happens? It seems illogical to
    send same search query to database and then dropping first 10 records from
    recordset and only passing recordset from 11th record to 20th records to
    client browser.

    So, can anyone please tell me what are different approaches to handle this.

    Thanks,

    Arsalan

    Arsalan Ahmad, Mar 28, 2006

  2. On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 16:36:10 -0600, Arsalan Ahmad <>
    wrote:

    > So now when the client press Next button what happens? It seems
    > illogical to
    > send same search query to database and then dropping first 10 records
    > from
    > recordset and only passing recordset from 11th record to 20th records to
    > client browser.
    >
    > So, can anyone please tell me what are different approaches to handle
    > this.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Arsalan

    usually you write your query in the sproc (or your code) to return only
    those records needed. In SQL Server you could use a ROWCOUNT or use TOP
    in your final SELECT statement. Dunno how other databases allow this to
    happen, but I assume most do (trim resultset before returning).

    The use of TOP for example, to hone in on the 11-20 for instance is a
    tricky implementation. A couple references:

    http://weblogs.asp.net/pwilson/archive/2003/10/10/31456.aspx
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2120

    --
    Craig
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET

    Craig Deelsnyder, Mar 29, 2006

  3. Arsalan Ahmad

    Yama Guest

    Hi,

    Have you used paging in the past? Here is how you would do a paging query in
    T-SQL:

    //-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    SELECT TOP <pageSize> *
    FROM
    (
    SELECT TOP (<pageSize> * <pageIndex>)
    < columns names>
    FROM
    < table name >
    WHERE
    < condition >
    ORDER BY < PK column name > DESC
    )
    AS anyNameYouWant ORDER BY < PK column name > ASC
    //-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

    <pageSize> = the number of records to be retrieved
    <pageIndex> = the desired page index (1 based)
    <column names> = list of the column names
    <condition> = optional filter condition
    < PK column name > = the primary key column name (it has to be also present
    into the <column names> list)

    Sample T-SQL for getting 5 records from the Northwind Employee table from
    the second page:

    //-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    USE Northwind
    SELECT TOP 5 *
    FROM(
    SELECT TOP 10
    EmployeeID,
    LastName,
    FirstName,
    Title,
    BirthDate,
    HireDate
    FROM
    Employees

    ORDER BY EmployeeID DESC

    )
    AS Employees ORDER BY EmployeeID ASC
    //-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

    USE Northwind

    -- Page 1
    SELECT TOP 3 *
    FROM(
    SELECT TOP 3
    EmployeeID,
    LastName,
    FirstName,
    Title,
    BirthDate,
    HireDate
    FROM
    Employees

    ORDER BY EmployeeID DESC

    )
    AS Employees ORDER BY EmployeeID ASC

    -- Page 2
    SELECT TOP 3 *
    FROM(
    SELECT TOP 6
    EmployeeID,
    LastName,
    FirstName,
    Title,
    BirthDate,
    HireDate
    FROM
    Employees

    ORDER BY EmployeeID DESC

    )
    AS Employees ORDER BY EmployeeID ASC

    -- Page 3
    SELECT TOP 3 *
    FROM(
    SELECT TOP 9
    EmployeeID,
    LastName,
    FirstName,
    Title,
    BirthDate,
    HireDate
    FROM
    Employees

    ORDER BY EmployeeID DESC

    )
    AS Employees ORDER BY EmployeeID ASC

    If using AJAX you could simply return the results you need depending on page
    clicked using Callbacks... You'd be amazed at the speed of execution...

    Hope this helps,

    Yama Kamyar

    Yama, Mar 29, 2006
  4. Arsalan,

    In ASPNET are for that nice solutions named Paging (as the name is for a
    windforms as well).

    Here a sample on our page for a webpage (there are as well for windowforms)

    http://www.vb-tips.com/default.aspx?ID=5ef272ef-bfcc-4b1f-85f8-6750bb0390f8

    For the others search on 'Paging"

    I hope this helps,

    Cor