    It's not relevant to the question but in the unlikely event that you
    are interested in farnarkling here's the link -
    <http://www.mrjohnclarke.com/other-farnarkeling.shtml>.

    David Segall, Apr 28, 2010

  2. Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Arrrrggghhhh! Just visited your link. Now that I have my eyeballs
    > back in their sockets ...

    Not only that .. but after you've increased the text size to something
    you can actually read, a fair portion of the content is no longer
    visible at all - in that silly scrolling box. Heh, using that box is
    worse than the small size.

    There is no scrollbar (mouse must be placed on small red arrows
    *outside* the content area), there is no indication of how much more
    content is below the 'bottom' of the scroll area, and you can't scroll
    very fast. Readers with motor deficiencies will immediately be looking
    for their Back buttons.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 28, 2010

  3. Ed Mullen wrote:

    > David Segall wrote:
    >> If I have a web page about the social consequences of farnarkling I
    >> would definitely make the first use of the word a link to a
    >> description of the game. Inevitably, the word would be repeated in
    >> the page along with other associated words like arkle. Should all the
    >> occurrences be links? What if I have an entire site devoted to
    >> farnarkling?

    - -
    > I'd say just the first usage should be a link.

    I'd say it really depends. Within a short page, it would be more or less
    absurd to make several occurrences of a word a link. Within a large page,
    possibly with internal anchors, so that you might jump into the middle, it's
    different.

    > font-family: Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif;
    > ---->> font-size: 70%; <<----

    - -
    > Why, oh, why did you do that?

    The font size is a message. Taking it down to 70% says that it's not meant
    to be read - the text is just fill-in stuff to make the pictures more
    prominent and maybe to attract visitors via search engines-

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Apr 28, 2010
  4. David Segall

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    > David Segall wrote:

    > Arrrrggghhhh! Just visited your link. Now that I have my eyeballs back
    > in their sockets ...
    >

    > ---->> font-size: 70%; <<----
    >

    > Why, oh, why did you do that?

    Why do you think David (rather than someone else) did this?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 28, 2010
  5. David Segall

    David Segall Guest

    Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    >David Segall wrote:
    >> If I have a web page about the social consequences of farnarkling I
    >> would definitely make the first use of the word a link to a
    >> description of the game. Inevitably, the word would be repeated in the
    >> page along with other associated words like arkle. Should all the
    >> occurrences be links? What if I have an entire site devoted to
    >> farnarkling?
    >>
    >> It's not relevant to the question but in the unlikely event that you
    >> are interested in farnarkling here's the link -
    >> <http://www.mrjohnclarke.com/other-farnarkeling.shtml>.

    >I'd say just the first usage should be a link.

    >Arrrrggghhhh! Just visited your link. Now that I have my eyeballs back
    >in their sockets ...

    Oh dear. I should have realised that posting any link in this
    newsgroup is an invitation to criticize the mark up rather than look
    at the content. In Australia, the comedian John Clarke has made
    farnarkling a generic word for a sport although he invented the sport
    and an extensive vocabulary to describe it. It's his site.

    It was a bad example and I should have chosen something more easily
    recognised internationally although I suspect that sports commentators
    are the same the world over.

    David Segall, Apr 29, 2010
  6. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed David Segall
    <> writing in

    > Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >
    >>David Segall wrote:
    >>> If I have a web page about the social consequences of farnarkling I
    >>> would definitely make the first use of the word a link to a
    >>> description of the game. Inevitably, the word would be repeated in

    the
    >>> page along with other associated words like arkle. Should all the
    >>> occurrences be links? What if I have an entire site devoted to
    >>> farnarkling?
    >>>
    >>> It's not relevant to the question but in the unlikely event that you
    >>> are interested in farnarkling here's the link -
    >>> <http://www.mrjohnclarke.com/other-farnarkeling.shtml>.

    >>I'd say just the first usage should be a link.

    >>Arrrrggghhhh! Just visited your link. Now that I have my eyeballs

    back
    >>in their sockets ...

    > Oh dear. I should have realised that posting any link in this
    > newsgroup is an invitation to criticize the mark up rather than look
    > at the content. In Australia, the comedian John Clarke has made
    > farnarkling a generic word for a sport although he invented the sport
    > and an extensive vocabulary to describe it. It's his site.
    >
    > It was a bad example and I should have chosen something more easily
    > recognised internationally although I suspect that sports commentators
    > are the same the world over.

    If it's not your site, you need to mention that in your OP, or you need
    to specifically state that you're only interested in blah.

    You have to remember this is an HTML group, and the people here will
    always look at the markup, and perhaps have something to say. That's a
    good thing - there might be something that you missed, or someone might
    have an idea that might make a page better.

    If you are concerned about SEO, then you could go over to
    alt.internet.search-engines and ask over there. The group is pretty
    quiet, it's just those of us who are lieing in wait.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Apr 29, 2010
  7. David Segall

    David Segall Guest

    Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:

    >Gazing into my crystal ball I observed David Segall
    ><> writing in
    >
    >> Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    >the

    >>>I'd say just the first usage should be a link.

    >>>Arrrrggghhhh! Just visited your link. Now that I have my eyeballs

    >back
    >>>in their sockets ...

    >> Oh dear. I should have realised that posting any link in this
    >> newsgroup is an invitation to criticize the mark up rather than look
    >> at the content. In Australia, the comedian John Clarke has made
    >> farnarkling a generic word for a sport although he invented the sport
    >> and an extensive vocabulary to describe it. It's his site.
    >>
    >> It was a bad example and I should have chosen something more easily
    >> recognised internationally although I suspect that sports commentators
    >> are the same the world over.
    >>

    >If it's not your site, you need to mention that in your OP, or you need
    >to specifically state that you're only interested in blah.
    >
    >You have to remember this is an HTML group, and the people here will
    >always look at the markup, and perhaps have something to say. That's a
    >good thing - there might be something that you missed, or someone might
    >have an idea that might make a page better.

    Have a heart Adrienne. I have already done a mea culpa. Do you expect
    a mea culpa maxima?

    >If you are concerned about SEO,

    No. It was just a question of style.

    David Segall, Apr 29, 2010
  8. David Segall

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    David Segall <> wrote:

    > Have a heart Adrienne. I have already done a mea culpa. Do you expect
    > a mea culpa maxima?

    Follow my rule as much as possible: never ask a question on
    usenet, never cook a calf in its mother's milk... for more
    advice, please send me several free tickets to Sydney movies...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 29, 2010
  9. David Segall

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 29 Apr 2010, David Segall <> wrote:

    > Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    >
    >>Gazing into my crystal ball I observed David Segall
    >><> writing in

    >>the

    >>back
    >>>
    >>> Oh dear. I should have realised that posting any link in this
    >>> newsgroup is an invitation to criticize the mark up rather than
    >>> look at the content. In Australia, the comedian John Clarke has
    >>> made farnarkling a generic word for a sport although he invented
    >>> the sport and an extensive vocabulary to describe it. It's his
    >>> site.
    >>>
    >>> It was a bad example and I should have chosen something more easily
    >>> recognised internationally although I suspect that sports
    >>> commentators are the same the world over.
    >>>

    >>If it's not your site, you need to mention that in your OP, or you
    >>need to specifically state that you're only interested in blah.
    >>
    >>You have to remember this is an HTML group, and the people here will
    >>always look at the markup, and perhaps have something to say. That's
    >>a good thing - there might be something that you missed, or someone
    >>might have an idea that might make a page better.

    > Have a heart Adrienne. I have already done a mea culpa. Do you expect
    > a mea culpa maxima?

    You call that a mea culpa? Back in the old days you would've had to
    stand on a rock barefoot and repeated over and over again something
    like "I promise I will do html markup correctly in the future," for 24
    hours straight! For more serious offenses, the time was lengthened but
    you could sit. However, the rock was sharp...

    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/

    Neredbojias, Apr 30, 2010
  10. David Segall

    Joy Beeson Guest

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 15:36:40 GMT, David Segall <>
    wrote:

    > If I have a web page about the social consequences of farnarkling I
    > would definitely make the first use of the word a link to a
    > description of the game. Inevitably, the word would be repeated in the
    > page along with other associated words like arkle. Should all the
    > occurrences be links? What if I have an entire site devoted to
    > farnarkling?

    If you use the word "fanarkling" a lot, linking the first occurrence
    after each anchor ought to be plenty. If it rarely occurs on the
    site, link all occurrences. If you can assume that no-one would read
    your page unless he is already a fanarkler, no occurrences need to be
    linked.

    It's a matter of style and taste and purpose, so no hard-and-fast
    answer can be given. In any matter involving art, rules at best are
    suggestions of places to look when the art isn't working.

    So: if the page looks all flyspecked, there are probably too many
    links. If the reader can come upon a mysterious word and can't see
    any link without paging up or down, there are probably too few.

    It's also possible that the content needs to be re-written to reduce
    the need for looking up mysterious words.

    Joy Beeson
    --
    joy beeson at comcast dot net
    http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/