    even if it's just an isolated word here and there, and even if it's a
    repeat of something that's already been labeled?

    Thanks.

    John Salerno, Oct 10, 2006

  2. John Salerno

    carolyn Guest

    John Salerno wrote:

    > Just a little poll, I guess. I'm curious what the best practice is for
    > frequently in the text of your HTML. Should you label every occurrence,
    > even if it's just an isolated word here and there, and even if it's a
    > repeat of something that's already been labeled?
    >
    > Thanks.

    My vote is to label everything for what it is. Then browsers have a better
    chance of displaying it properly, and that is meant to include auditory
    browsers readying it correctly.

    Carolyn
    --
    Carolyn Marenger

    carolyn, Oct 10, 2006

  3. Scripsit John Salerno:

    > Just a little poll, I guess.

    Why? Are you interested in opinions (that's what you get in polls, at best),
    or facts and arguments?

    > I'm curious what the best practice is for
    > frequently in the text of your HTML.

    <abbr> and <acronym> are useless. I won't bother referring the arguments,
    since there are no factual arguments _in favor of_ using them - no tangible
    benefits that would overweigh the risks.

    > Should you label every
    > occurrence, even if it's just an isolated word here and there, and
    > even if it's a repeat of something that's already been labeled?

    Huh? The only remaining item in your list is <code>, and of course you need
    to repeat it for anything that needs to be marked up as computer code. Just
    having <code>foo</code> somewhere doesn't mean that any subsequent foo is
    code, too.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 12, 2006
  4. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > Scripsit John Salerno:
    >
    >> Just a little poll, I guess.

    > Why? Are you interested in opinions (that's what you get in polls, at best),
    > or facts and arguments?

    Eh, I thought that line might get me in trouble. I'm looking for best
    practice.

    >> I'm curious what the best practice is for
    >> frequently in the text of your HTML.

    > <abbr> and <acronym> are useless. I won't bother referring the arguments,
    > since there are no factual arguments _in favor of_ using them - no tangible
    > benefits that would overweigh the risks.

    So you wouldn't use these for anything, such as "HTML", "CSS", "GUI" etc.?

    > Huh? The only remaining item in your list is <code>, and of course you need
    > to repeat it for anything that needs to be marked up as computer code. Just
    > having <code>foo</code> somewhere doesn't mean that any subsequent foo is
    > code, too.

    Well, I was being general about it, but fine. I'm referring to all

    I can understand using them in larger blocks of text (such as big block
    of code), but what if I have a paragraph that uses single words of code
    frequently. Do you mark each of those words?

    John Salerno, Oct 12, 2006
  5. John Salerno

    Joe (GKF) Guest

    In article <85RWg.97$>,
    says...
    > Just a little poll, I guess. I'm curious what the best practice is for
    > frequently in the text of your HTML. Should you label every occurrence,
    > even if it's just an isolated word here and there, and even if it's a
    > repeat of something that's already been labeled?
    >
    > Thanks.

    <code> always
    <abbr> and <acronym> on first occurrence. I use a title=?? whenever I
    use either of these.

    Joe (GKF), Oct 12, 2006