how picky should you be with certain inline elements?

John Salerno

Just a little poll, I guess. I'm curious what the best practice is for
frequently in the text of your HTML. Should you label every occurrence,
even if it's just an isolated word here and there, and even if it's a
repeat of something that's already been labeled?

Thanks.

carolyn

John said:
Just a little poll, I guess. I'm curious what the best practice is for
frequently in the text of your HTML. Should you label every occurrence,
even if it's just an isolated word here and there, and even if it's a
repeat of something that's already been labeled?

Thanks.

My vote is to label everything for what it is. Then browsers have a better
chance of displaying it properly, and that is meant to include auditory
browsers readying it correctly.

Carolyn

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit John Salerno:
Just a little poll, I guess.

Why? Are you interested in opinions (that's what you get in polls, at best),
or facts and arguments?
I'm curious what the best practice is for
frequently in the text of your HTML.

<abbr> and <acronym> are useless. I won't bother referring the arguments,
since there are no factual arguments _in favor of_ using them - no tangible
benefits that would overweigh the risks.
Should you label every
occurrence, even if it's just an isolated word here and there, and
even if it's a repeat of something that's already been labeled?

Huh? The only remaining item in your list is <code>, and of course you need
to repeat it for anything that needs to be marked up as computer code. Just
having <code>foo</code> somewhere doesn't mean that any subsequent foo is
code, too.

John Salerno

Jukka said:
Scripsit John Salerno:

Why? Are you interested in opinions (that's what you get in polls, at best),
or facts and arguments?

Eh, I thought that line might get me in trouble. I'm looking for best
practice.
<abbr> and <acronym> are useless. I won't bother referring the arguments,
since there are no factual arguments _in favor of_ using them - no tangible
benefits that would overweigh the risks.

So you wouldn't use these for anything, such as "HTML", "CSS", "GUI" etc.?
Huh? The only remaining item in your list is <code>, and of course you need
to repeat it for anything that needs to be marked up as computer code. Just
having <code>foo</code> somewhere doesn't mean that any subsequent foo is
code, too.

Well, I was being general about it, but fine. I'm referring to all

I can understand using them in larger blocks of text (such as big block
of code), but what if I have a paragraph that uses single words of code
frequently. Do you mark each of those words?

Joe (GKF)

Just a little poll, I guess. I'm curious what the best practice is for
frequently in the text of your HTML. Should you label every occurrence,
even if it's just an isolated word here and there, and even if it's a
repeat of something that's already been labeled?

Thanks.
<code> always
<abbr> and <acronym> on first occurrence. I use a title=?? whenever I
use either of these.