    Cheers,
    Sebastian Haase
    , Oct 1, 2007

  2. wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I was surprised when I did a google-groups search for python,
    > (
    > http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=python&qt_s=Search Groups
    > )
    > it shows these groups:
    > comp.lang.python with about 11000 users,
    > and second,
    > Django users
    > Discussion group for Django users. Django is a high-level Python
    > Web ...
    >
    > with 6500 members !!!!
    >
    > I cannot believe that django is *that* popular ... where am I going
    > wrong ?

    By assuming that readers of this group (or ML) are a superset of the
    django-users.

    Diez
    Diez B. Roggisch, Oct 1, 2007

  3. wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I was surprised when I did a google-groups search for python,
    > (
    > http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=python&qt_s=Search Groups
    > )
    > it shows these groups:
    > comp.lang.python with about 11000 users,
    > and second,
    > Django users
    > Discussion group for Django users. Django is a high-level Python
    > Web ...
    >
    > with 6500 members !!!!

    comp.lang.python is a usenet group.

    django-users is a mailinglist hosted by google.

    The number of django-users subscribers can be calculated by google.
    But the number of comp.lang.python users can only be guessed.

    BTW: I think django is popular. There is a lot of traffic on the list. I
    like django, too.

    Thomas

    --
    Thomas Güttler, http://www.thomas-guettler.de/ http://www.tbz-pariv.de/
    Spam Catcher:
    Thomas Guettler, Oct 1, 2007
  4. Diez B. Roggisch a écrit :
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> I was surprised when I did a google-groups search for python,
    >> (
    >> http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=python&qt_s=Search Groups
    >> )
    >> it shows these groups:
    >> comp.lang.python with about 11000 users,
    >> and second,
    >> Django users
    >> Discussion group for Django users. Django is a high-level Python
    >> Web ...
    >>
    >> with 6500 members !!!!
    >>
    >> I cannot believe that django is *that* popular ... where am I going
    >> wrong ?

    > By assuming that readers of this group (or ML) are a superset of the
    > django-users.

    And by assuming that the (estimated AFAICT) number of c.l.py readers is
    representative of the number of Python users...

    But Django *is* popular indeed.
    Bruno Desthuilliers, Oct 1, 2007
  5. Terry Reedy Guest

    "Thomas Guettler" <> wrote in message
    wrote:

    | comp.lang.python is a usenet group.

    which means that it is independently hosted on newsservers around the
    world.
    It is also a mailing list hosted by python.org and a gmane group.

    |django-users is a mailinglist hosted by google.

    |The number of django-users subscribers can be calculated by google.
    |But the number of comp.lang.python users can only be guessed.

    Unless Google claims otherwise, I would assume that '11000' is only the
    number of people who access c.l.p via Google. And if they did so claim, I
    would want to see the algorithm before giving it any credence.

    tjr
    Terry Reedy, Oct 2, 2007