How prevent users from dl my mdb

VB Programmer

My ASP.NET app is referencing an mdb file. How can I prevent hackers/etc...
from downloading the mdb (if they know the name/location of it?)

Right now they can just go to http://www.mysite.com/MyDb.mdb and save it to
their hard drive.

Thanks.

Karl Seguin

There are a number of ways.

The best is to not store your mdb file on a path served by IIS...if you are
doing shared hosting this might not be possible though.

Alternatively, you can protect the folder using IIS. You can map mdb files
to ASP.Net and protect it via your web.config's authorization.

At the very least you can password protect your access file so they might be
able to download it, but they can't open it.

If your host is any good (or you are hosting yourself), the solution should
be pretty simple...either store it out of your virtual directory, or use
whatever password-protected mechanism provided to block a folder...

Karl