how reference a value in a control from another control?

WISEMANOFNARNIA

I am working on someone else's code and found a bug that I'm trying to
fix. They have a formview with a dropdown in it. The dropdown's
selected value is bound (with 'bind') to a data field that is
incorrect. One way to solve this would be to make the selected value
the same as that of another dropdown (that is not in the formview but
is used as part of a query to find the formview contents).
I'm not sure how to do this.
Is it as simple as: <asp:dropdownlist selectedvalue = "<%=
OtherDropdown.SelectedValue %>">?
Thanks,
Marvin