How ruby can solve this:network programming

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by BENI, Jun 27, 2009.

  1. BENI

    BENI Guest

    I am not sure whether this is ruby question or networking question..
    but this group is so resourceful that I came over for some help onto
    it.

    We have developed a ROR application that pulls data from a Network
    element and generates Hourly dashboard for the element.

    There are 25 such elements spread ac the country.

    Apache/Mongrel combination is used in each of these dashboard
    generating machines.

    Upto this it is fine...

    Now... the requirement is users who are suppose to access the
    application should be capable of reaching any of these machines for
    visibility of DASHBOARD.

    Problem is... the application server resides in a domain ... whereas
    users need to access it from the same domain or another domain which
    the firewall policy of the org does not permit.

    We have at our disposal one server (WINDOWS IIS) which can talk to
    both of these domains.

    What we need is ... some kind of code sitting on this server that can
    proxy/forward etc to the corresponding dashboard generating ROR
    application.

    I hope i have been able to state the problem clearly.

    Any help/pointer/tutrial on how to acheive this would be great.

    Cheers
    BENI, Jun 27, 2009

  2. BENI

    rajib Guest

    On Jun 27, 3:59 pm, BENI <> wrote:
    > I am not sure whether this is ruby question or networking question..
    > but this group is so resourceful that I came over for some help onto
    > it.
    >
    > We have developed a ROR application that pulls data from a Network
    > element and generates Hourly dashboard for the element.
    >
    > There are 25 such elements spread ac the country.
    >
    > Apache/Mongrel combination is used in each of these dashboard
    > generating machines.
    >
    > Upto this it is fine...
    >
    > Now... the requirement is users who are suppose to access the
    > application should be capable of reaching any of these machines for
    > visibility of DASHBOARD.
    >
    > Problem is... the application server resides in a domain ... whereas
    > users need to access it from the same domain or another domain which
    > the firewall policy of the org does not permit.
    >
    > We have at our disposal one server (WINDOWS IIS) which can talk to
    > both of these domains.
    >
    > What we need is ... some kind of code  sitting on this server that can
    > proxy/forward etc to the corresponding dashboard generating ROR
    > application.
    >
    > I hope i have been able to state the problem clearly.
    >
    > Any help/pointer/tutrial on how to acheive this would be great.
    >
    > Cheers

    can any one pl share some ideas
    rajib, Jun 28, 2009

  3. Firstly this seems like a political rather than technical problem. Get
    the firewall changes made and you need to do nothing else.

    After that Option a) is to change the Rails application so that the
    dashboard functionality is presented as a web service. I would imagine
    Rails can be used to do that - it seems quite a comprehensive framework
    from what I've seen of it. You can then call that service from a
    Rails(?) app on your IIS server.

    Option b) is to use the IIS server to script the Rails apps. You can use
    raw HTML or a browser (eg Watir).
    Mike Stephens, Jun 28, 2009