How secure is MSAccess?

VB Programmer

I am creating a new ASPX web app. I would like to use MS Access, but am
concerned about security. There will be alot of secure info in this db
(credit cards, passwords, client info, etc...) Is Access secure enough or
should I just go with MS SQL Server? I like the portability of the MDB.

Also, any good links/suggestions on how to secure your db interactions (ie
ConnectionString in web.config, passwords/credit card info in tables,
etc....)

Thanks!

Sylvain Lafontaine

Mixing portability with security?!?!?!

Go with MSDE instead (the free version of SQL-Server but limited to 2Gg for
the size of the database).

S. L.

Paul Clement

¤
¤ Also, any good links/suggestions on how to secure your db interactions (ie
¤ ConnectionString in web.config, passwords/credit card info in tables,
¤ etc....)

As a data store it isn't the most secure. In addition, if this is a multi-user application then I
would also recommend SQL Server instead.

Paul ~~~ (e-mail address removed)
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Scott Tuttle

If you could get to the SQL.dat file could you not just bring it right into
an existing sql server and read the data directly?

Both options would require direct access to the data file.

I guess I am just thinking outloud.

Charles Goehring

Access is not secure at all. You will have to do it with standard
operating procedures.

You can start with limiting physical access to the machine (limited
access area).
Keep database files out of network shares and not under wwwroot directory.
Use strong passwords for everything.
Keep the server patched.
Limit access to backup tapes/files/media.
Don't store or hardcode passwords.