How should I interpret this set of laptop specifications?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Francis Chee, Feb 20, 2005.

  1. Francis Chee

    Francis Chee Guest

    Hi, there:

    This is not C++, but I think it will get some quick response for my Laptop
    decision.

    I expect my notebook doesn't inhibit me from editing digital pictures due to
    LCD displays.
    What does the "Maximum Resolution1024x768" and "Max resolution (with max
    video
    RAM)2048x1536" mean?

    If I order this machine with RAM upgraded to 512MB, will I get a resolution
    of 2048x1536
    anyway?

    Thanks.

    -------------------------
    Display/MonitorExternal display supportedYesSimultaneous external
    displayYesScreen Type DescriptionTFTViewable Image Size (Diagonal)
    Inches15.0Screen IlluminationBacklitGrey Shades or Colours Max Built in
    Screen16777216Maximum Resolution1024x768

    Graphics SubsystemDescriptionIntel Extreme Graphics 2TypeXGAVideo RAM
    typeDVMTMax resolution (with max video RAM)2048x1536 16777216 coloursMaximum
    Simultaneous Colours16777216Graphics bus interfaceDirect AGPVideo on
    PlanarYes
    -----------------------

    http://www-605.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=33
    068122&storeId=702&langId=702&categoryId=8655975&dualCurrId=97&catalogId=-70
    2
    Francis Chee, Feb 20, 2005

  2. Francis Chee

    Tim Williams Guest

    Definitely OT, but I'd assume the first spec is the number of physical
    pixels availalbe in the laptop's display whereas the second is the max
    resolution the laptop's video output could handle if hooked up to a
    suitable external display if you have purchased the maximum possible
    video RAM.

    tim.

    Tim Williams, Feb 20, 2005

  3. Francis Chee

    HuckinFappy Guest

    Francis Chee wrote:
    > This is not C++, but I think it will get some quick response for my

    Laptop
    > decision.

    <boggle>

    Just when i thought I'd seen everything.

    Someone please give Francis a quick whack with a clue by four.

    ~Jeff
    HuckinFappy, Feb 20, 2005
  4. On 20/2/05 5:02 PM, Francis Chee wrote:
    > Hi, there:
    >
    > This is not C++, but I think it will get some quick response for my Laptop
    > decision.
    >
    > I expect my notebook doesn't inhibit me from editing digital pictures due to
    > LCD displays.
    > What does the "Maximum Resolution1024x768" and "Max resolution (with max
    > video
    > RAM)2048x1536" mean?

    The seller is overselling the ability of the machine. If the screen is
    1024x768, it will never display anything higher than that on its on
    screen. It may well be able to display 2048x1536 on its external
    display, but you need to see how much video RAM it actually has. It's
    pointless to state that the hardware is capable of more when it doesn't
    have the RAM.
    Richard Cavell, Feb 20, 2005
  5. Francis Chee

    Larry Guest

    Francis Chee wrote:
    > Hi, there:
    >
    > This is not C++, but I think it will get some quick response for my

    Laptop
    > decision.
    >
    > I expect my notebook doesn't inhibit me from editing digital pictures

    due to
    > LCD displays.
    > What does the "Maximum Resolution1024x768" and "Max resolution (with

    max
    > video
    > RAM)2048x1536" mean?
    >
    > If I order this machine with RAM upgraded to 512MB, will I get a

    resolution
    > of 2048x1536
    > anyway?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > -------------------------
    > Display/MonitorExternal display supportedYesSimultaneous external
    > displayYesScreen Type DescriptionTFTViewable Image Size (Diagonal)
    > Inches15.0Screen IlluminationBacklitGrey Shades or Colours Max Built

    in
    > Screen16777216Maximum Resolution1024x768
    >
    > Graphics SubsystemDescriptionIntel Extreme Graphics 2TypeXGAVideo RAM
    > typeDVMTMax resolution (with max video RAM)2048x1536 16777216

    coloursMaximum
    > Simultaneous Colours16777216Graphics bus interfaceDirect AGPVideo on
    > PlanarYes
    > -----------------------

    perldoc -q screen

    for potentially helpful Perl documentation.

    You may want to try Radio Shack if there is one in your area. I
    recommend you not ask this in comp.lang.c++ as it will be completely
    off topic over there.

    Get the extra ram anyway if you can afford it, and ask about battery
    life. Regarding the battery, they have Acpi::Battery on cpan.org, but
    it's just for Linux. Imagine if something like that could support all
    platforms?

    Larry
    Larry, Feb 20, 2005