How should I solve this?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jeff, Jul 9, 2006.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Hey

    asp.net 2.0

    I'm developing a webportal. Some info within the portal is available for
    anonymous users, but most info is available to logged in members...

    So I uses LoginView to show different info to users that are anonymous or
    logged in...

    BUT now I'm facing another problem:
    I want to restrict some of the info that can be accessed by members also...
    I had a very quick look at role management in asp.net 2.0 and I don't think
    I can use it. Lets say I'm developing a webshop and I want to restrict some
    info about the products to the loggedin members - not all the logged in
    members have access to all the info. Some members (logged in members) have
    access to all the info about one product, and some (logged in members) have
    restricted access to the info... I cannot AFAIK put all these members with
    restricted acccess to info in a separate user group, because maybe one day
    later some of them should have access to all the info.. And a member might
    have restricted access to info about one product, BUT at the same time have
    full access to info about other products....

    Any ideas how to solve this?

    Should I just do a test when the webpage opens and programmatically
    hide/show controls (labels/textboxes showing product info) or are there a
    much better way of solving this problem???... (I admit I'm still a newbie)

    Jeff
    Jeff, Jul 9, 2006

  2. Take a look at how Windows manages this sort of thing. You have users and
    groups. Permissions can be assigned on a user-by-user basis, or on a group
    basis. You can assign permissions to a user individually, or by giving that
    user membership in one or more groups.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    Professional Chicken Salad Alchemist

    Big thicks are made up of lots of little thins.

    Kevin Spencer, Jul 9, 2006