How standard and interchangeable are Java modules and the like?

Ramon F Herrera

I am just getting acquainted with some new Java building blocks
through the NetBeans IDE.

The "New Project" item offers several alternatives such as:

- "Module Project"
- "Module Suite Project"
- "Library Wrapper Module Project"

....and so on.

How standardized are such constructs? Are those things above simple
time savers that do some typing for me? IOW, can I take another IDE
and say "I want a 'Library Wrapper Module Project'", and expect to get
pretty much the same files generated?

I am guessing that the concept of 'module' is well defined by some
standard, but what about a 'module suite'?

TIA,

-Ramon

Owen Jacobson

I am just getting acquainted with some new Java building blocks
through the NetBeans IDE.

The "New Project" item offers several alternatives such as:

- "Module Project"
- "Module Suite Project"
- "Library Wrapper Module Project"

...and so on.

How standardized are such constructs? Are those things above simple
time savers that do some typing for me? IOW, can I take another IDE
and say "I want a 'Library Wrapper Module Project'", and expect to get
pretty much the same files generated?

I am guessing that the concept of 'module' is well defined by some
standard, but what about a 'module suite'?

Those look like Netbeans-specific concepts, but it's likely the
generated artifacts are portable to other IDEs, if they're just
different approaches to packaging and arranging Java source.

Eclipse, for example, only has "Java Project" out of the box, which
maps well to the concept of a single JAR but isn't restrained to it
and can be used for other things. You might be able to reproduce a
"Library Wrapper Module" using a Java Project and writing specific
code, and you can probably load an existing "Library Wrapper Module"
into Eclipse as a project.

Mark Space

Ramon said:
I am just getting acquainted with some new Java building blocks
through the NetBeans IDE.

The "New Project" item offers several alternatives such as:

- "Module Project"
- "Module Suite Project"
- "Library Wrapper Module Project"

I'm not the expert here, but I'm pretty sure those are NetBeans
modules, not Java.

Look under New Project->General->Java Application for the Java stuff.

If you have NetBeans 6 Beta, then replace "General" with "Java".

As far as I know, the Java stuff is very portable, although I've yet to
do anything complicated with it. Ant build scripts are your friend, but
for a simple project you don't even need to bother with that.

Roedy Green

- "Module Project"
- "Module Suite Project"
- "Library Wrapper Module Project"

These are netbeans concepts. However, what comes out the end will be
just packages and classes, standard Java. You will have no problem
importing them into some other IDE.

Once you get to know an IDE, you want to stick with it since you will
be most productive with it. However, you want other to be able to
work on the code too from a shared repository.