    under their control, or else.

    Americans are heroin addicts, who will suck up anything, as long as
    they get their shot every half hour.
    Joe Snodgrass, Apr 30, 2011

  2. Joe Snodgrass

    Deeyana Guest

    On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 12:14:58 -0700, Joe Snodgrass wrote:

    > After all the scary news about smart phones broadcasting people's
    > locations, I can't believe that
    >
    > 1) Some genius doesn't build a smart phone with no location tracking and
    > corner the market on people who want no part of it. There's money to be
    > made, genius!
    >
    > 2) Manufacturers don't put a control (preferably a hardware switch) on
    > the annoying things to *reliably* leave the feature turned off.
    >
    > 3) Customers don't raise a ruckus and demand that the feature be put
    > under their control, or else.
    >
    > Americans are heroin addicts, who will suck up anything, as long as they
    > get their shot every half hour.

    What does any of that have to do with Java, C++, or PHP, Snodgrass?
    Deeyana, Apr 30, 2011

  3. Joe Snodgrass

    David Lamb Guest

    On 30/04/2011 3:48 PM, Deeyana wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 12:14:58 -0700, Joe Snodgrass wrote:
    >
    >> After all the scary news about smart phones broadcasting people's
    >> locations, I can't believe that
    >>
    >> 1) Some genius doesn't build a smart phone with no location tracking and
    >> corner the market on people who want no part of it. There's money to be
    >> made, genius!

    > What does any of that have to do with Java, C++, or PHP, Snodgrass?

    Perhaps we can help the OP learn some systems design? Making location
    tracking impossible means no app-readable GPS, which eliminates so many
    useful apps nobody would buy said smartphone.

    Does any smartphone use php?
    David Lamb, May 1, 2011
  4. Joe Snodgrass

    Twayne Guest

    In news:1z0vp.5524$,
    David Lamb <> typed:
    > On 30/04/2011 3:48 PM, Deeyana wrote:
    >> On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 12:14:58 -0700, Joe Snodgrass wrote:
    >>
    >>> After all the scary news about smart phones
    >>> broadcasting people's locations, I can't believe that
    >>>
    >>> 1) Some genius doesn't build a smart phone with no
    >>> location tracking and corner the market on people who
    >>> want no part of it. There's money to be made, genius!

    >> What does any of that have to do with Java, C++, or PHP,
    >> Snodgrass?

    > Perhaps we can help the OP learn some systems design?
    > Making location tracking impossible means no app-readable
    > GPS, which eliminates so many useful apps nobody would
    > buy said smartphone.
    > Does any smartphone use php?

    Don't see why not. PHP runs server-side, not client side. It's the website
    that determines whether PHP runs or not and it has nothing to do wth the
    client side, or smartfone.

    HTH,

    Twayne`
    Twayne, May 1, 2011
  5. On 4/30/2011 7:26 PM, Twayne wrote:
    > In news:1z0vp.5524$,
    > David Lamb<> typed:

    >>> What does any of that have to do with Java, C++, or PHP,
    >>> Snodgrass?

    >> Perhaps we can help the OP learn some systems design?
    >> Making location tracking impossible means no app-readable
    >> GPS, which eliminates so many useful apps nobody would
    >> buy said smartphone.
    >> Does any smartphone use php?

    > Don't see why not. PHP runs server-side, not client side. It's the website
    > that determines whether PHP runs or not and it has nothing to do wth the
    > client side, or smartfone.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Twayne`

    Incorrect. PHP scripts can easily run on the client.

    --
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address

    ==================
    Jerry Stuckle, May 1, 2011
  6. Joe Snodgrass

    Guest

    In comp.lang.php Joe Snodgrass <> wrote:

    > After all the scary news about smart phones broadcasting people's
    > locations, I can't believe that
    >
    > 1) Some genius doesn't build a smart phone with no location tracking
    > and corner the market on people who want no part of it. There's money
    > to be made, genius!
    >
    > 2) Manufacturers don't put a control (preferably a hardware switch) on
    > the annoying things to *reliably* leave the feature turned off.
    >
    > 3) Customers don't raise a ruckus and demand that the feature be put
    > under their control, or else.
    >
    > Americans are heroin addicts, who will suck up anything, as long as
    > they get their shot every half hour.

    The FCC has required that all cell phone companies be able to trace
    cell phone calls to a location since 2005.

    You can thank 9/11 for that rule.

    Only whether or not the user can access the tracking data is optional.

    The only money to be made with a phone with no location tracking is in
    the fines and penalties you will get for selling it.

    --
    Jim Pennino

    Remove .spam.sux to reply.
    , May 1, 2011
  7. Joe Snodgrass

    Unrest Guest

    Indeed. "PHP4Android" on "Scripting Layer for Android".
    Unrest, May 1, 2011
  8. Joe Snodgrass

    David Lamb Guest

    On 01/05/2011 1:27 AM, Unrest wrote:
    > Indeed. "PHP4Android" on "Scripting Layer for Android".

    So, even an originally-off-topic posting can lead to (some of) us
    learning something.
    David Lamb, May 1, 2011
  9. On 5/1/2011 9:15 AM, David Lamb wrote:
    > On 01/05/2011 1:27 AM, Unrest wrote:
    >> Indeed. "PHP4Android" on "Scripting Layer for Android".

    > So, even an originally-off-topic posting can lead to (some of) us
    > learning something.

    Not really. If you wanted to know that PHP was available for Android, a
    quick search would tell you. And if you don't need to know, you
    probably don't care.

    It's no reason to clutter up a newsgroup with off-topic crap.

    --
    ==================

    Jerry Stuckle, May 1, 2011
  10. Joe Snodgrass

    Twayne Guest

    In news:ipi8ac$ufm$,
    Jerry Stuckle <> typed:
    > On 4/30/2011 7:26 PM, Twayne wrote:
    >> In news:1z0vp.5524$,
    >> David Lamb<> typed:

    >>> Perhaps we can help the OP learn some systems design?
    >>> Making location tracking impossible means no
    >>> app-readable GPS, which eliminates so many useful apps
    >>> nobody would buy said smartphone.
    >>> Does any smartphone use php?

    >> Don't see why not. PHP runs server-side, not client
    >> side. It's the website that determines whether PHP runs
    >> or not and it has nothing to do wth the client side, or
    >> smartfone. HTH,
    >>
    >> Twayne`
    >>

    > Incorrect. PHP scripts can easily run on the client.

    Your half-misinformation does no one any good, including yourself. Without
    PHP and a server present, which is the norm for many people, what happens
    then? They'll still run the PHP? I don't THINK so!
    Twayne, May 2, 2011
  11. Joe Snodgrass

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <ipml3r$7bg$>,
    "Twayne" <> wrote:

    > In news:ipi8ac$ufm$,
    > Jerry Stuckle <> typed:
    > > On 4/30/2011 7:26 PM, Twayne wrote:
    > >> In news:1z0vp.5524$,
    > >> David Lamb<> typed:

    > >> Don't see why not. PHP runs server-side, not client
    > >> side. It's the website that determines whether PHP runs
    > >> or not and it has nothing to do wth the client side, or
    > >> smartfone. HTH,

    > > Incorrect. PHP scripts can easily run on the client.

    > Your half-misinformation does no one any good, including yourself. Without
    > PHP and a server present, which is the norm for many people, what happens
    > then? They'll still run the PHP? I don't THINK so!

    Why would PHP not be available on my own machine. I run PHP scripts all
    the time.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, May 2, 2011
  12. ..oO(Twayne)

    >In news:ipi8ac$ufm$,
    >Jerry Stuckle <> typed:
    >>
    >> Incorrect. PHP scripts can easily run on the client.

    >Your half-misinformation does no one any good, including yourself. Without
    >PHP and a server present, which is the norm for many people, what happens
    >then? They'll still run the PHP? I don't THINK so!

    You can use PHP for many more things, which don't require a webserver.

    Micha
    Michael Fesser, May 2, 2011
  13. On Apr 30, 8:27 pm, wrote:
    > In comp.lang.phpJoeSnodgrass<> wrote:
    >

    > > After all the scary news about smart phones broadcasting people's
    > > locations, I can't believe that

    > > 1) Some genius doesn't build a smart phone with no location tracking
    > > and corner the market on people who want no part of it.  There's money
    > > to be made, genius!

    > > 2) Manufacturers don't put a control (preferably a hardware switch) on
    > > the annoying things to *reliably* leave the feature turned off.

    > > 3) Customers don't raise a ruckus and demand that the feature be put
    > > under their control, or else.

    > > Americans are heroin addicts, who will suck up anything, as long as
    > > they get their shot every half hour.

    > The FCC has required that all cell phone companies be able to trace
    > cell phone calls to a location since 2005.
    >
    > You can thank 9/11 for that rule.
    >
    > Only whether or not the user can access the tracking data is optional.
    >
    > The only money to be made with a phone with no location tracking is in
    > the fines and penalties you will get for selling it.

    Then the only alternative is to try disconnect the GPS chip. I
    suppose that it's too much to ask for the chip to have little legs, so
    you can just cut it off the circuit by snipping the power pin. I
    wonder if the OS is robust enough to tolerate a loss of that signal or
    if you'd get the cellphone equivalent of a BSOD.
    Joe Snodgrass, May 3, 2011
  14. Joe Snodgrass

    Öö Tiib Guest

    On May 3, 4:33 pm, Joe Snodgrass <> wrote:
    > On Apr 30, 8:27 pm, wrote:
    >

    > > In comp.lang.phpJoeSnodgrass<> wrote:

    > > > After all the scary news about smart phones broadcasting people's
    > > > locations, I can't believe that

    > > > 1) Some genius doesn't build a smart phone with no location tracking
    > > > and corner the market on people who want no part of it.  There's money
    > > > to be made, genius!

    > > > 2) Manufacturers don't put a control (preferably a hardware switch) on
    > > > the annoying things to *reliably* leave the feature turned off.

    > > > 3) Customers don't raise a ruckus and demand that the feature be put
    > > > under their control, or else.

    > > > Americans are heroin addicts, who will suck up anything, as long as
    > > > they get their shot every half hour.

    > > The FCC has required that all cell phone companies be able to trace
    > > cell phone calls to a location since 2005.

    > > You can thank 9/11 for that rule.

    > > Only whether or not the user can access the tracking data is optional.

    > > The only money to be made with a phone with no location tracking is in
    > > the fines and penalties you will get for selling it.

    > Then the only alternative is to try disconnect the GPS chip.  I
    > suppose that it's too much to ask for the chip to have little legs, so
    > you can just cut it off the circuit by snipping the power pin.  I
    > wonder if the OS is robust enough to tolerate a loss of that signal or
    > if you'd get the cellphone equivalent of a BSOD.

    Location can be tracked even without GPS chip. Only accuracy of
    tracking is bit lower so one using the information needs to shoot you
    with a bit bigger rocket. The mobile network knows very well where you
    are at any given moment. How else it routes the incoming calls to you?
    Öö Tiib, May 3, 2011
  15. Öö Tiib wrote:
    > On May 3, 4:33 pm, Joe Snodgrass <> wrote:

    >>> The FCC has required that all cell phone companies be able to trace
    >>> cell phone calls to a location since 2005.
    >>> You can thank 9/11 for that rule.
    >>> Only whether or not the user can access the tracking data is optional.
    >>> The only money to be made with a phone with no location tracking is in
    >>> the fines and penalties you will get for selling it.

    >> Then the only alternative is to try disconnect the GPS chip. I
    >> suppose that it's too much to ask for the chip to have little legs, so
    >> you can just cut it off the circuit by snipping the power pin. I
    >> wonder if the OS is robust enough to tolerate a loss of that signal or
    >> if you'd get the cellphone equivalent of a BSOD.

    > Location can be tracked even without GPS chip. Only accuracy of
    > tracking is bit lower so one using the information needs to shoot you
    > with a bit bigger rocket. The mobile network knows very well where you
    > are at any given moment. How else it routes the incoming calls to you?

    Magic? :)

    the answer is of course not to carry a mobile that is switched on...if
    you don't want to be tracked.
    The Natural Philosopher, May 3, 2011
  16. Joe Snodgrass

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <ipp3or$fj0$>,
    "Twayne" <> wrote:

    > In news:,
    > Tim Streater <> typed:
    > > In article <ipml3r$7bg$>,
    > > "Twayne" <> wrote:

    > > Why would PHP not be available on my own machine. I run
    > > PHP scripts all the time.

    > I can't really say since you gave no information at all. A lot of 'nix
    > bundles might include it but Windows for instance does not. And unless you
    > have installed a server installed locally on your machine, PHP scripts are
    > not running on your machine. All you'll get when it runs is a page showing
    > the PHP script, but no PHP results. Once you're into production mode, then
    > the PHP is running on whatever server you are using for your production
    > site/s.
    > So you have actually not said anything but a few words with nothing to
    > describe what you're doing. That of course if of absolutely no use to
    > newbies and the inexperienced users looking to get into PHP programming.

    OK, I'll add a few words to the second sentence, and a third sentence:

    I run PHP scripts from the command prompt all the time. I can do this
    whether or apache happens to be running at that moment (in fact it
    usually is since an instance of apache is a component of my email
    client, but the command line scripts, of course, don't care about that).

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, May 3, 2011
  17. Joe Snodgrass

    Guest

    In comp.lang.php Joe Snodgrass <> wrote:
    > On Apr 30, 8:27 pm, wrote:
    >> In comp.lang.phpJoeSnodgrass<> wrote:
    >>

    >> > After all the scary news about smart phones broadcasting people's
    >> > locations, I can't believe that

    >> > 1) Some genius doesn't build a smart phone with no location tracking
    >> > and corner the market on people who want no part of it.  There's money
    >> > to be made, genius!

    >> > 2) Manufacturers don't put a control (preferably a hardware switch) on
    >> > the annoying things to *reliably* leave the feature turned off.

    >> > 3) Customers don't raise a ruckus and demand that the feature be put
    >> > under their control, or else.

    >> > Americans are heroin addicts, who will suck up anything, as long as
    >> > they get their shot every half hour.

    >> The FCC has required that all cell phone companies be able to trace
    >> cell phone calls to a location since 2005.
    >>
    >> You can thank 9/11 for that rule.
    >>
    >> Only whether or not the user can access the tracking data is optional.
    >>
    >> The only money to be made with a phone with no location tracking is in
    >> the fines and penalties you will get for selling it.

    > Then the only alternative is to try disconnect the GPS chip. I
    > suppose that it's too much to ask for the chip to have little legs, so
    > you can just cut it off the circuit by snipping the power pin. I
    > wonder if the OS is robust enough to tolerate a loss of that signal or
    > if you'd get the cellphone equivalent of a BSOD.

    Not all phones use GPS, so that is not an alternative.

    The only real alternative is to not carry a cellphone if you are that
    paranoid or involved in questionable activities.

    --
    Jim Pennino

    Remove .spam.sux to reply.
    , May 3, 2011
  18. On 5/3/2011 10:33 AM, Twayne wrote:
    > In news:,
    > Tim Streater<> typed:
    >> In article<ipml3r$7bg$>,
    >> "Twayne"<> wrote:

    >> Why would PHP not be available on my own machine. I run
    >> PHP scripts all the time.

    > I can't really say since you gave no information at all. A lot of 'nix
    > bundles might include it but Windows for instance does not. And unless you
    > have installed a server installed locally on your machine, PHP scripts are
    > not running on your machine. All you'll get when it runs is a page showing
    > the PHP script, but no PHP results. Once you're into production mode, then
    > the PHP is running on whatever server you are using for your production
    > site/s.
    > So you have actually not said anything but a few words with nothing to
    > describe what you're doing. That of course if of absolutely no use to
    > newbies and the inexperienced users looking to get into PHP programming.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Twayne`

    PHP scripts run fine on Windows without a web server.

    --
    ==================

    Jerry Stuckle, May 3, 2011
  19. Joe Snodgrass

    Twayne Guest

    In news:ippupp$6e1$,
    Jerry Stuckle <> typed:
    > On 5/3/2011 10:33 AM, Twayne wrote:
    >> In
    >> Tim Streater<> typed:
    >>> In article<ipml3r$7bg$>,
    >>> "Twayne"<> wrote:

    >>> Why would PHP not be available on my own machine. I run
    >>> PHP scripts all the time.

    >> I can't really say since you gave no information at all.
    >> A lot of 'nix bundles might include it but Windows for
    >> instance does not. And unless you have installed a
    >> server installed locally on your machine, PHP scripts
    >> are not running on your machine. All you'll get when it
    >> runs is a page showing the PHP script, but no PHP
    >> results. Once you're into production mode, then the PHP
    >> is running on whatever server you are using for your
    >> production site/s. So you have actually not said
    >> anything but a few words with nothing to describe what
    >> you're doing. That of course if of absolutely no use to
    >> newbies and the inexperienced users looking to get into
    >> PHP programming. HTH,
    >>
    >> Twayne`
    >>

    > PHP scripts run fine on Windows without a web server.

    More half-information and useless to boot.
    Twayne, May 5, 2011
  20. On 5/4/2011 7:46 PM, Twayne wrote:
    > In news:ippupp$6e1$,
    > Jerry Stuckle<> typed:
    >> On 5/3/2011 10:33 AM, Twayne wrote:
    >>> In
    >>> Tim Streater<> typed:

    >>> I can't really say since you gave no information at all.
    >>> A lot of 'nix bundles might include it but Windows for
    >>> instance does not. And unless you have installed a
    >>> server installed locally on your machine, PHP scripts
    >>> are not running on your machine. All you'll get when it
    >>> runs is a page showing the PHP script, but no PHP
    >>> results. Once you're into production mode, then the PHP
    >>> is running on whatever server you are using for your
    >>> production site/s. So you have actually not said
    >>> anything but a few words with nothing to describe what
    >>> you're doing. That of course if of absolutely no use to
    >>> newbies and the inexperienced users looking to get into
    >>> PHP programming. HTH,
    >>>
    >>> Twayne`
    >>>

    >> PHP scripts run fine on Windows without a web server.

    > More half-information and useless to boot.

    Only for an idiot troll like you.

    For intelligent people, PHP scripts run fine on Windows without a server.

    --

    Jerry Stuckle, May 5, 2011