How stupid ARE people?

Joe Snodgrass

After all the scary news about smart phones broadcasting people's
locations, I can't believe that

1) Some genius doesn't build a smart phone with no location tracking
and corner the market on people who want no part of it. There's money
to be made, genius!

2) Manufacturers don't put a control (preferably a hardware switch) on
the annoying things to *reliably* leave the feature turned off.

3) Customers don't raise a ruckus and demand that the feature be put
under their control, or else.

Americans are heroin addicts, who will suck up anything, as long as
they get their shot every half hour.

Deeyana

After all the scary news about smart phones broadcasting people's
locations, I can't believe that

1) Some genius doesn't build a smart phone with no location tracking and
corner the market on people who want no part of it. There's money to be
made, genius!

2) Manufacturers don't put a control (preferably a hardware switch) on
the annoying things to *reliably* leave the feature turned off.

3) Customers don't raise a ruckus and demand that the feature be put
under their control, or else.

Americans are heroin addicts, who will suck up anything, as long as they
get their shot every half hour.

What does any of that have to do with Java, C++, or PHP, Snodgrass?

David Lamb

What does any of that have to do with Java, C++, or PHP, Snodgrass?

Perhaps we can help the OP learn some systems design? Making location
tracking impossible means no app-readable GPS, which eliminates so many
useful apps nobody would buy said smartphone.

Does any smartphone use php?

Twayne

In
David Lamb said:
Perhaps we can help the OP learn some systems design?
Making location tracking impossible means no app-readable
GPS, which eliminates so many useful apps nobody would
buy said smartphone.
Does any smartphone use php?

Don't see why not. PHP runs server-side, not client side. It's the website
that determines whether PHP runs or not and it has nothing to do wth the
client side, or smartfone.

HTH,

Twayne`

Jerry Stuckle

In

Don't see why not. PHP runs server-side, not client side. It's the website
that determines whether PHP runs or not and it has nothing to do wth the
client side, or smartfone.

HTH,

Twayne`

Incorrect. PHP scripts can easily run on the client.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

jimp

In comp.lang.php Joe Snodgrass said:
After all the scary news about smart phones broadcasting people's
locations, I can't believe that

1) Some genius doesn't build a smart phone with no location tracking
and corner the market on people who want no part of it. There's money
to be made, genius!

2) Manufacturers don't put a control (preferably a hardware switch) on
the annoying things to *reliably* leave the feature turned off.

3) Customers don't raise a ruckus and demand that the feature be put
under their control, or else.

Americans are heroin addicts, who will suck up anything, as long as
they get their shot every half hour.

The FCC has required that all cell phone companies be able to trace
cell phone calls to a location since 2005.

You can thank 9/11 for that rule.

Only whether or not the user can access the tracking data is optional.

The only money to be made with a phone with no location tracking is in
the fines and penalties you will get for selling it.

Jerry Stuckle

So, even an originally-off-topic posting can lead to (some of) us
learning something.

Not really. If you wanted to know that PHP was available for Android, a
quick search would tell you. And if you don't need to know, you
probably don't care.

It's no reason to clutter up a newsgroup with off-topic crap.

--
==================

Jerry Stuckle said:
Incorrect. PHP scripts can easily run on the client.

Your half-misinformation does no one any good, including yourself. Without
PHP and a server present, which is the norm for many people, what happens
then? They'll still run the PHP? I don't THINK so!

Tim Streater

Twayne said:
In

Your half-misinformation does no one any good, including yourself. Without
PHP and a server present, which is the norm for many people, what happens
then? They'll still run the PHP? I don't THINK so!

Why would PHP not be available on my own machine. I run PHP scripts all
the time.

Michael Fesser

..oO(Twayne)
In

Your half-misinformation does no one any good, including yourself. Without
PHP and a server present, which is the norm for many people, what happens
then? They'll still run the PHP? I don't THINK so!

You can use PHP for many more things, which don't require a webserver.

Micha

Joe Snodgrass

The FCC has required that all cell phone companies be able to trace
cell phone calls to a location since 2005.

You can thank 9/11 for that rule.

Only whether or not the user can access the tracking data is optional.

The only money to be made with a phone with no location tracking is in
the fines and penalties you will get for selling it.

Then the only alternative is to try disconnect the GPS chip. I
suppose that it's too much to ask for the chip to have little legs, so
you can just cut it off the circuit by snipping the power pin. I
wonder if the OS is robust enough to tolerate a loss of that signal or
if you'd get the cellphone equivalent of a BSOD.

Öö Tiib

Then the only alternative is to try disconnect the GPS chip.  I
suppose that it's too much to ask for the chip to have little legs, so
you can just cut it off the circuit by snipping the power pin.  I
wonder if the OS is robust enough to tolerate a loss of that signal or
if you'd get the cellphone equivalent of a BSOD.

Location can be tracked even without GPS chip. Only accuracy of
tracking is bit lower so one using the information needs to shoot you
with a bit bigger rocket. The mobile network knows very well where you
are at any given moment. How else it routes the incoming calls to you?

The Natural Philosopher

Öö Tiib said:
Location can be tracked even without GPS chip. Only accuracy of
tracking is bit lower so one using the information needs to shoot you
with a bit bigger rocket. The mobile network knows very well where you
are at any given moment. How else it routes the incoming calls to you?

Magic? :)

the answer is of course not to carry a mobile that is switched on...if
you don't want to be tracked.

Tim Streater

Twayne said:
In
Tim Streater said:
I can't really say since you gave no information at all. A lot of 'nix
bundles might include it but Windows for instance does not. And unless you
have installed a server installed locally on your machine, PHP scripts are
not running on your machine. All you'll get when it runs is a page showing
the PHP script, but no PHP results. Once you're into production mode, then
the PHP is running on whatever server you are using for your production
site/s.
So you have actually not said anything but a few words with nothing to
describe what you're doing. That of course if of absolutely no use to
newbies and the inexperienced users looking to get into PHP programming.

OK, I'll add a few words to the second sentence, and a third sentence:

I run PHP scripts from the command prompt all the time. I can do this
whether or apache happens to be running at that moment (in fact it
usually is since an instance of apache is a component of my email
client, but the command line scripts, of course, don't care about that).

jimp

In comp.lang.php Joe Snodgrass said:
Then the only alternative is to try disconnect the GPS chip. I
suppose that it's too much to ask for the chip to have little legs, so
you can just cut it off the circuit by snipping the power pin. I
wonder if the OS is robust enough to tolerate a loss of that signal or
if you'd get the cellphone equivalent of a BSOD.

Not all phones use GPS, so that is not an alternative.

The only real alternative is to not carry a cellphone if you are that
paranoid or involved in questionable activities.

Jerry Stuckle

In

I can't really say since you gave no information at all. A lot of 'nix
bundles might include it but Windows for instance does not. And unless you
have installed a server installed locally on your machine, PHP scripts are
not running on your machine. All you'll get when it runs is a page showing
the PHP script, but no PHP results. Once you're into production mode, then
the PHP is running on whatever server you are using for your production
site/s.
So you have actually not said anything but a few words with nothing to
describe what you're doing. That of course if of absolutely no use to
newbies and the inexperienced users looking to get into PHP programming.

HTH,

Twayne`

PHP scripts run fine on Windows without a web server.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
(e-mail address removed)

Jerry Stuckle

In

More half-information and useless to boot.

Only for an idiot troll like you.

For intelligent people, PHP scripts run fine on Windows without a server.

--