    Being flash, if one wants to right click, the flash context menu pops up and
    you ain't got nothing else to work with.

    Frankly, the site sucks being done entirely in flash like that.

    richard, Sep 21, 2006

  2. "richard" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Checked out www.discovery.com lately?
    > Almost totally done in adobe flash.
    > While Flash was primarily designed to enhance certain features of a
    > website, I for one find it totally disgusting as the full coding for the
    > entire page. Yeah it loads superfast. But annoying as hell.
    > Being flash, if one wants to right click, the flash context menu pops up
    > and you ain't got nothing else to work with.
    >
    > Frankly, the site sucks being done entirely in flash like that.

    It sucks exactly why?

    Because you can't read the code?

    Looks good to me...

    Runnin'

    Runnin' on Empty, Sep 21, 2006

  3. richard

    richard Guest

    "Runnin' on Empty" <> wrote in message

    > "richard" <> wrote in message
    >> Checked out www.discovery.com lately?
    >> Almost totally done in adobe flash.
    >> While Flash was primarily designed to enhance certain features of a
    >> website, I for one find it totally disgusting as the full coding for the
    >> entire page. Yeah it loads superfast. But annoying as hell.
    >> Being flash, if one wants to right click, the flash context menu pops up
    >> and you ain't got nothing else to work with.
    >>
    >> Frankly, the site sucks being done entirely in flash like that.
    >>

    > It sucks exactly why?
    >
    > Because you can't read the code?
    >
    > Looks good to me...
    >
    > Runnin'

    Oh yeah. I have no qualms with the looks. But coding a full page entirely in
    flash? Why?
    What if I don't have flash?

    richard, Sep 21, 2006
  4. richard

    Ed Jay Guest

    Runnin' on Empty scribed:

    >"richard" <> wrote in message
    >> Checked out www.discovery.com lately?
    >> Almost totally done in adobe flash.
    >> While Flash was primarily designed to enhance certain features of a
    >> website, I for one find it totally disgusting as the full coding for the
    >> entire page. Yeah it loads superfast. But annoying as hell.
    >> Being flash, if one wants to right click, the flash context menu pops up
    >> and you ain't got nothing else to work with.
    >>
    >> Frankly, the site sucks being done entirely in flash like that.
    >>

    >It sucks exactly why?
    >
    >Because you can't read the code?
    >
    >Looks good to me...

    Looks great to me.
    --
    Ed Jay (remove 'M' to respond by email)

    Ed Jay, Sep 21, 2006
  5. richard

    Andy Dingley Guest

    richard wrote:

    > But coding a full page entirely in flash?

    They didn't.

    Andy Dingley, Sep 21, 2006
  6. richard

    Ed Jay Guest

    richard scribed:

    >"Runnin' on Empty" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "richard" <> wrote in message
    >>> Checked out www.discovery.com lately?
    >>> Almost totally done in adobe flash.
    >>> While Flash was primarily designed to enhance certain features of a
    >>> website, I for one find it totally disgusting as the full coding for the
    >>> entire page. Yeah it loads superfast. But annoying as hell.
    >>> Being flash, if one wants to right click, the flash context menu pops up
    >>> and you ain't got nothing else to work with.
    >>>
    >>> Frankly, the site sucks being done entirely in flash like that.
    >>>

    >> It sucks exactly why?
    >>
    >> Because you can't read the code?
    >>
    >> Looks good to me...
    >>
    >> Runnin'

    >Oh yeah. I have no qualms with the looks. But coding a full page entirely in
    >flash? Why?
    >What if I don't have flash?

    If you looked at their code, you'd notice that if Flash isn't integrated
    with your browser, they invite you to download the plug-in. Of course, the
    sniffing is done using Javascript, so if you don't have js enabled...
    --
    Ed Jay (remove 'M' to respond by email)

    Ed Jay, Sep 21, 2006
  7. On 2006-09-21, Runnin' on Empty wrote:

    > "richard" <> wrote in message
    >> Checked out www.discovery.com lately?
    >> Almost totally done in adobe flash.
    >> While Flash was primarily designed to enhance certain features of a
    >> website, I for one find it totally disgusting as the full coding for the
    >> entire page. Yeah it loads superfast. But annoying as hell.
    >> Being flash, if one wants to right click, the flash context menu pops up
    >> and you ain't got nothing else to work with.
    >>
    >> Frankly, the site sucks being done entirely in flash like that.

    > It sucks exactly why?
    >
    > Because you can't read the code?

    First, because the text is unreadbly small. After that, other
    reasons are unimportant.

    Author:

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Sep 21, 2006
  8. richard

    Ed Seedhouse Guest

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 18:18:57 -0400, "Chris F.A. Johnson"
    <> wrote:

    >>> Checked out www.discovery.com lately?
    >>> Almost totally done in adobe flash.

    >>> Frankly, the site sucks being done entirely in flash like that.

    >> It sucks exactly why?

    >> Because you can't read the code?

    > First, because the text is unreadbly small. After that, other
    > reasons are unimportant.

    And being in flash, I can't resize it in my browser. And the low
    contrast makes it even harder to read. Guess they don't need business
    from folks like me. Interesting business model - first alienate a
    goodly portion of the audience, then ...

    Ed Seedhouse, Sep 22, 2006
  9. richard

    Info_Junkie Guest

    Runnin' on Empty wrote:
    > "richard" <> wrote in message
    > > Checked out www.discovery.com lately?
    > > Almost totally done in adobe flash.
    > > While Flash was primarily designed to enhance certain features of a
    > > website, I for one find it totally disgusting as the full coding for the
    > > entire page. Yeah it loads superfast. But annoying as hell.
    > > Being flash, if one wants to right click, the flash context menu pops up
    > > and you ain't got nothing else to work with.
    > >
    > > Frankly, the site sucks being done entirely in flash like that.
    > >

    > It sucks exactly why?
    >
    > Because you can't read the code?
    >
    > Looks good to me...
    >
    > Runnin'

    I agree ... looks good and loads fast (at least on broadband). Guess
    we all should be learning FLASH.

    Info_Junkie

    Info_Junkie, Sep 23, 2006
  10. richard

    Ed Jay Guest

    Info_Junkie scribed:

    >Runnin' on Empty wrote:
    >> "richard" <> wrote in message
    >> > Checked out www.discovery.com lately?
    >> > Almost totally done in adobe flash.
    >> > While Flash was primarily designed to enhance certain features of a
    >> > website, I for one find it totally disgusting as the full coding for the
    >> > entire page. Yeah it loads superfast. But annoying as hell.
    >> > Being flash, if one wants to right click, the flash context menu pops up
    >> > and you ain't got nothing else to work with.
    >> >
    >> > Frankly, the site sucks being done entirely in flash like that.
    >> >

    >> It sucks exactly why?
    >>
    >> Because you can't read the code?
    >>
    >> Looks good to me...
    >>
    >> Runnin'

    >I agree ... looks good and loads fast (at least on broadband). Guess
    >we all should be learning FLASH.

    Keep laughing. My wife is a professional graphics and web designer. She's
    been investigating new job opportunities. She is now learning Flash, because
    every large agency or corporation requires capability in Flash (and HTML and
    CSS).
    --
    Ed Jay (remove 'M' to respond by email)

    Ed Jay, Sep 23, 2006
  11. richard

    jojo Guest

    richard wrote:
    > Checked out www.discovery.com lately?
    > Almost totally done in adobe flash.
    > While Flash was primarily designed to enhance certain features of a
    > website, I for one find it totally disgusting as the full coding for the
    > entire page. Yeah it loads superfast. But annoying as hell.
    > Being flash, if one wants to right click, the flash context menu pops up
    > and you ain't got nothing else to work with.
    >
    > Frankly, the site sucks being done entirely in flash like that.

    Hey, BTW, anybody here ever heared of RtS?? Google for "Richard
    Bullis"... perhaps he is in here...

    jojo, Sep 28, 2006
  12. richard

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    jojo wrote:
    > richard wrote:
    >> Checked out www.discovery.com lately?

    *snip*

    >> Frankly, the site sucks being done entirely in flash like that.
    >>

    > Hey, BTW, anybody here ever heared of RtS?? Google for "Richard
    > Bullis"... perhaps he is in here...

    Haven't seen him in a while, but I haven't been reading this group much
    lately.

    Nik Coughlin, Sep 29, 2006
  13. richard

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > jojo wrote:
    >> richard wrote:
    >>> Checked out www.discovery.com lately?

    > *snip*
    >
    >>> Frankly, the site sucks being done entirely in flash like that.
    >>>

    >> Hey, BTW, anybody here ever heared of RtS?? Google for "Richard
    >> Bullis"... perhaps he is in here...

    > Haven't seen him in a while, but I haven't been reading this group
    > much lately.

    I miss Brucie though :(

    Nik Coughlin, Sep 29, 2006
  14. richard

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > jojo wrote:
    >> richard wrote:
    >>> Checked out www.discovery.com lately?

    > *snip*
    >
    >>> Frankly, the site sucks being done entirely in flash like that.
    >>>

    >> Hey, BTW, anybody here ever heared of RtS?? Google for "Richard
    >> Bullis"... perhaps he is in here...

    > Haven't seen him in a while, but I haven't been reading this group
    > much lately.

    My mistake, just saw the usual bunch of misguided posts, and recent too.

    Nik Coughlin, Sep 29, 2006
  15. richard

    Andy Dingley Guest

    jojo wrote:

    > Hey, BTW, anybody here ever heared of RtS?? Google for "Richard
    > Bullis"... perhaps he is in here...

    He used to post here a lot. I too have also suspected that this
    "richard" might be his return, although he doesn't seem _quite_ up to
    Bullis' standard.

    Andy Dingley, Sep 29, 2006
  16. richard wrote:
    > Checked out www.discovery.com lately?
    > Almost totally done in adobe flash.

    Welcome to the future...

    > While Flash was primarily designed to enhance certain features of a website,
    > I for one find it totally disgusting as the full coding for the entire page.
    > Yeah it loads superfast. But annoying as hell.

    Obviously not anoying enought to stop discovery.com from using it.

    > Being flash, if one wants to right click, the flash context menu pops up and
    > you ain't got nothing else to work with.

    As it should be. Flash is an application running on the web. As an
    application I will decide what you can and can not do.

    > Frankly, the site sucks being done entirely in flash like that.

    And you are welcome to visit a different site, or complain to them. If
    enough visitors leave or complain, then they will go back to a boring
    old static site.

    Travis Newbury, Sep 29, 2006
  17. richard wrote:
    > Oh yeah. I have no qualms with the looks. But coding a full page entirely in
    > flash? Why?
    > What if I don't have flash?

    Then you don't get to see their site... And if they find that enough
    people agree with you, then they will convert the site back.

    Travis Newbury, Sep 29, 2006
  18. Ed Seedhouse wrote:
    > And being in flash, I can't resize it in my browser. And the low
    > contrast makes it even harder to read. Guess they don't need business
    > from folks like me. Interesting business model - first alienate a
    > goodly portion of the audience, then ...

    My guess is that they have found that their traffic and sales have
    increased since making the conversion to Flash. So they may have lost
    a fer people, but their over all traffic has increased, which means it
    was a good business decision EVEN if they lost you as a customer. (by
    the way, when was the last time you bought something from them?)

    What you need to do is either never go back there (that will teach the
    bastards a lesson) or write to them with yor concerns. If enough
    people don't want flash they will change. But I am guessing Flash is
    there to stay.

    Travis Newbury, Sep 29, 2006
  19. Ed Jay wrote:
    > Keep laughing. My wife is a professional graphics and web designer. She's
    > been investigating new job opportunities. She is now learning Flash, because
    > every large agency or corporation requires capability in Flash (and HTML and
    > CSS).

    Because Flash is no longer a simple animation tool (sadly though most
    still use it that way) companies and organizations are finding they can
    do some pretty amazing things with Flash. They are also finding that
    Flash tends to KEEP the visitor there as there is so much more
    interaction possible with Flash. (people, especially USA'ians, love
    interaction)

    Flash is the way of the future with the web.

    Travis Newbury, Sep 29, 2006
  20. Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > I miss Brucie though :(

    He is dead