How to abuse a website

richard

Checked out www.discovery.com lately?
Almost totally done in adobe flash.
While Flash was primarily designed to enhance certain features of a website,
I for one find it totally disgusting as the full coding for the entire page.
Yeah it loads superfast. But annoying as hell.
Being flash, if one wants to right click, the flash context menu pops up and
you ain't got nothing else to work with.

Frankly, the site sucks being done entirely in flash like that.

Runnin' on Empty

richard said:
Checked out www.discovery.com lately?
Almost totally done in adobe flash.
While Flash was primarily designed to enhance certain features of a
website, I for one find it totally disgusting as the full coding for the
entire page. Yeah it loads superfast. But annoying as hell.
Being flash, if one wants to right click, the flash context menu pops up
and you ain't got nothing else to work with.

Frankly, the site sucks being done entirely in flash like that.

It sucks exactly why?

Because you can't read the code?

Looks good to me...

Runnin'

richard

Runnin' on Empty said:
It sucks exactly why?

Because you can't read the code?

Looks good to me...

Runnin'

Oh yeah. I have no qualms with the looks. But coding a full page entirely in
flash? Why?
What if I don't have flash?

Ed Jay

richard scribed:
Oh yeah. I have no qualms with the looks. But coding a full page entirely in
flash? Why?
What if I don't have flash?

If you looked at their code, you'd notice that if Flash isn't integrated
with your browser, they invite you to download the plug-in. Of course, the
sniffing is done using Javascript, so if you don't have js enabled...

Ed Seedhouse

First, because the text is unreadbly small. After that, other
reasons are unimportant.

And being in flash, I can't resize it in my browser. And the low
contrast makes it even harder to read. Guess they don't need business
from folks like me. Interesting business model - first alienate a
goodly portion of the audience, then ...

Info_Junkie

Runnin' on Empty said:
It sucks exactly why?

Because you can't read the code?

Looks good to me...

Runnin'

I agree ... looks good and loads fast (at least on broadband). Guess
we all should be learning FLASH.

Info_Junkie

Ed Jay

Info_Junkie scribed:
I agree ... looks good and loads fast (at least on broadband). Guess
we all should be learning FLASH.
Keep laughing. My wife is a professional graphics and web designer. She's
been investigating new job opportunities. She is now learning Flash, because
every large agency or corporation requires capability in Flash (and HTML and
CSS).

jojo

richard said:
Checked out www.discovery.com lately?
Almost totally done in adobe flash.
While Flash was primarily designed to enhance certain features of a
website, I for one find it totally disgusting as the full coding for the
entire page. Yeah it loads superfast. But annoying as hell.
Being flash, if one wants to right click, the flash context menu pops up
and you ain't got nothing else to work with.

Frankly, the site sucks being done entirely in flash like that.
Hey, BTW, anybody here ever heared of RtS?? Google for "Richard
Bullis"... perhaps he is in here...

Nik Coughlin

jojo said:
*snip*

Hey, BTW, anybody here ever heared of RtS?? Google for "Richard
Bullis"... perhaps he is in here...

Haven't seen him in a while, but I haven't been reading this group much
lately.

Nik Coughlin

Nik said:
Haven't seen him in a while, but I haven't been reading this group
much lately.

My mistake, just saw the usual bunch of misguided posts, and recent too.

Andy Dingley

jojo said:
Hey, BTW, anybody here ever heared of RtS?? Google for "Richard
Bullis"... perhaps he is in here...

He used to post here a lot. I too have also suspected that this
"richard" might be his return, although he doesn't seem _quite_ up to
Bullis' standard.

Travis Newbury

richard said:
Checked out www.discovery.com lately?
Almost totally done in adobe flash.
Welcome to the future...
While Flash was primarily designed to enhance certain features of a website,
I for one find it totally disgusting as the full coding for the entire page.
Yeah it loads superfast. But annoying as hell.
Obviously not anoying enought to stop discovery.com from using it.
Being flash, if one wants to right click, the flash context menu pops up and
you ain't got nothing else to work with.
As it should be. Flash is an application running on the web. As an
application I will decide what you can and can not do.
Frankly, the site sucks being done entirely in flash like that.
And you are welcome to visit a different site, or complain to them. If
enough visitors leave or complain, then they will go back to a boring
old static site.

Travis Newbury

richard said:
Oh yeah. I have no qualms with the looks. But coding a full page entirely in
flash? Why?
What if I don't have flash?

Then you don't get to see their site... And if they find that enough
people agree with you, then they will convert the site back.

Travis Newbury

Ed said:
And being in flash, I can't resize it in my browser. And the low
contrast makes it even harder to read. Guess they don't need business
from folks like me. Interesting business model - first alienate a
goodly portion of the audience, then ...

My guess is that they have found that their traffic and sales have
increased since making the conversion to Flash. So they may have lost
a fer people, but their over all traffic has increased, which means it
was a good business decision EVEN if they lost you as a customer. (by
the way, when was the last time you bought something from them?)

What you need to do is either never go back there (that will teach the
bastards a lesson) or write to them with yor concerns. If enough
people don't want flash they will change. But I am guessing Flash is
there to stay.

Travis Newbury

Ed said:
Keep laughing. My wife is a professional graphics and web designer. She's
been investigating new job opportunities. She is now learning Flash, because
every large agency or corporation requires capability in Flash (and HTML and
CSS).

Because Flash is no longer a simple animation tool (sadly though most
still use it that way) companies and organizations are finding they can
do some pretty amazing things with Flash. They are also finding that
Flash tends to KEEP the visitor there as there is so much more
interaction possible with Flash. (people, especially USA'ians, love
interaction)

Flash is the way of the future with the web.