how to access help for MS Visual C++ 5.0 compiler (AKA Developer Studio 97)

Wayne

I have used this old compiler since 1997, but for the last year or two,
I can no longer access any of its Help info (like function definitions,
etc). Attempts to do so now just says "the page cannot be displayed".
The little toolbar window implies its search path is, for example:
mk:mad:ivt:vbscript/D1/8.htm
(or various files, maybe mk:mad:ivt:vccore/F3F/F43/D4C/S4CF2D.HTM )

I cannot make any sense of that, and dont know what I am lacking. But
these file names are not on the CD, and not in the installed directory.

Is this situation that the help is online, and that Microsoft is no
longer supporting it? But it is not a real URL, so maybe do I just need
some sort of helper function installed to make this work again?

Anyone still using MS Visual C++ 5.0 (97) ?

Mike Wahler

Wayne said:
I have used this old compiler since 1997, but for the last year or two,
I can no longer access any of its Help info (like function definitions,
etc). Attempts to do so now just says "the page cannot be displayed".
The little toolbar window implies its search path is, for example:
mk:mad:ivt:vbscript/D1/8.htm
(or various files, maybe mk:mad:ivt:vccore/F3F/F43/D4C/S4CF2D.HTM )

I cannot make any sense of that, and dont know what I am lacking. But
these file names are not on the CD, and not in the installed directory.

Is this situation that the help is online, and that Microsoft is no
longer supporting it? But it is not a real URL, so maybe do I just need
some sort of helper function installed to make this work again?

None of this has anything to do with standard C++, the
only topic here.

I suggest you consult Microsoft's developer site (www.msdn.microsoft.com)
and/or newsgroups where these issues are topical.

Better yet, since that compiler is very outdated, I suggest
you upgrade to a current version (Microsoft has a free one
available, see the MSDN link I cited.)

Purpose of comp.lang.c++:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

-Mike

Moritz Beller

Better yet, since that compiler is very outdated, I suggest
you upgrade to a current version (Microsoft has a free one
~~~~
'Free' as in free beer, meaning that you can download the thing without
having to pay for it.
As opposed to Free Software.

best regards / Gruß
Moritz Beller

Moritz Beller

It's software, and it's free (i.e. no charge).
It's free software. Really.

You seem to neglect the important points of Free Software. At best it's
"Free Beer Sofware" or "freeware", if you like. Nota bene there also is
a difference between "Free Software" and the ambiguous "free software".

Free software, as defined by the Free Software Foundation, is software
which, once obtained, can be used, copied, studied, modified and
redistributed.

The only thing that is free in the Microsoft compiler case is that it
costs you nothing.

Indeed, no Free Software after all.

best regards / Gruß
Moritz Beller

Kai-Uwe Bux

Moritz said:
You seem to neglect the important points of Free Software. At best it's
"Free Beer Sofware" or "freeware", if you like.

It' free software. The phrase is completely in line with other "free ..."
terms. No need to invent new words like the terms you suggested.

Nota bene there also is a difference between "Free Software" and the
ambiguous "free software".

Yes, it's not Free Software. But nobody in this thread ever claimed it to
be. Also, it is debatable whether the term "free software" is ambiguous;
and if it was, one could ask who's fault that would be: probably just those
are to blame who misspell "Free Software".

Free software, as defined by the Free Software Foundation, is software
which, once obtained, can be used, copied, studied, modified and
redistributed.

I take it, you meant "Free Software, ...".
^^^
The only thing that is free in the Microsoft compiler case is that it
costs you nothing.

Yes, and that's why it is free software.

I am not doing too well in decoding subtexts, so I just ask: Do you want to
make it sound like it's a bad thing that the Microsoft compiler is offered
free of charge? It appears that Microsoft is well within its rights to do
that. And anybody is free, to take it or not.

Indeed, no Free Software after all.

Again, nobody claimed it to be.

Best

Kai-Uwe Bux

Moritz Beller

It' free software. The phrase is completely in line with other
"free ..."
terms. No need to invent new words like the terms you suggested.

If Mike had understood what I have written, this debate would never
have been arisen:

| | > On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 22:45:55 GMT
| >> you upgrade to a current version (Microsoft has a free one
| > ~~~~
| > 'Free' as in free beer, meaning that you can download the thing
| > without
| > having to pay for it.
| > As opposed to Free Software.

This is fool-safe. I wanted to make sure everybody understands there is
a huge difference between free software and Free Software.

I have never claimed Mike was wrong with his statement. What I did was
to give an extra piece of information for those willing to know small,
yet important differences.
I take it, you meant "Free Software, ...".
^^^

Both writings exist.
Yes, and that's why it is free software.

Right: 'Free' as in free beer, meaning that you can download the thing
without having to pay for it. As opposed to Free Software.

best regards / Gruß
Moritz Beller

Wayne

None of this has anything to do with standard C++, the
only topic here.

Mike, it isnt clear how your thread which developed here about free
software is on-topic, when a question about help with a C++ compiler is
not.

Alf P. Steinbach

* Wayne:
* Mike Wahler:

Mike, it isnt clear how your thread which developed here about free
software is on-topic,

It isn't Mike's thread.

when a question about help with a C++ compiler is not.

The original message was about configuring a help system.

Mike is right, and you are wrong.

John Harrison

Moritz said:
If Mike had understood what I have written, this debate would never
have been arisen:

I think Mike did, he was just gently mocking you, at least that's my
take on it, no doubt he can speak for himself.

john