    longer supporting it? But it is not a real URL, so maybe do I just need
    some sort of helper function installed to make this work again?

    Anyone still using MS Visual C++ 5.0 (97) ?
    Wayne, Oct 7, 2005

  2. Wayne

    Mike Wahler Guest

    Re: [OT, link, redirect, welcome msg] how to access help for MS Visual C++ 5.0 compiler (AKA Developer Studio 97)

    "Wayne" <> wrote in message
    >I have used this old compiler since 1997, but for the last year or two,
    > I can no longer access any of its Help info (like function definitions,
    > etc). Attempts to do so now just says "the page cannot be displayed".
    > The little toolbar window implies its search path is, for example:
    > mk:mad:ivt:vbscript/D1/8.htm
    > (or various files, maybe mk:mad:ivt:vccore/F3F/F43/D4C/S4CF2D.HTM )
    >
    > I cannot make any sense of that, and dont know what I am lacking. But
    > these file names are not on the CD, and not in the installed directory.
    >
    > Is this situation that the help is online, and that Microsoft is no
    > longer supporting it? But it is not a real URL, so maybe do I just need
    > some sort of helper function installed to make this work again?

    None of this has anything to do with standard C++, the
    only topic here.

    I suggest you consult Microsoft's developer site (www.msdn.microsoft.com)
    and/or newsgroups where these issues are topical.

    Better yet, since that compiler is very outdated, I suggest
    you upgrade to a current version (Microsoft has a free one
    available, see the MSDN link I cited.)

    Purpose of comp.lang.c++:
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Oct 7, 2005

  3. Re: [OT, link, redirect, welcome msg] how to access help for MSVisual C++ 5.0 compiler (AKA Developer Studio 97)

    On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 22:45:55 GMT
    "Mike Wahler" <> wrote:

    > Better yet, since that compiler is very outdated, I suggest
    > you upgrade to a current version (Microsoft has a free one

    ~~~~
    'Free' as in free beer, meaning that you can download the thing without
    having to pay for it.
    As opposed to Free Software.

    best regards / Gruß
    Moritz Beller
    --
    web http://www.4momo.de
    mail momo dot beller at t-online dot de
    Moritz Beller, Oct 8, 2005
  4. Wayne

    "Moritz Beller" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 22:45:55 GMT
    > "Mike Wahler" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Better yet, since that compiler is very outdated, I suggest
    >> you upgrade to a current version (Microsoft has a free one

    > ~~~~
    >> 'Free' as in free beer, meaning that you can download the thing without
    >> having to pay for it.
    >> As opposed to Free Software.

    > best regards / Gruß
    > Moritz Beller

    It's software, and it's free (i.e. no charge).
    It's free software. Really.

    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Oct 8, 2005
  5. Re: [OT, link, redirect, welcome msg] how to access help for MSVisual C++ 5.0 compiler (AKA Developer Studio 97)

    On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 01:36:53 GMT
    "Mike Wahler" <> wrote:

    > It's software, and it's free (i.e. no charge).
    > It's free software. Really.

    You seem to neglect the important points of Free Software. At best it's
    "Free Beer Sofware" or "freeware", if you like. Nota bene there also is
    a difference between "Free Software" and the ambiguous "free software".

    Free software, as defined by the Free Software Foundation, is software
    which, once obtained, can be used, copied, studied, modified and
    redistributed.

    The only thing that is free in the Microsoft compiler case is that it
    costs you nothing.

    Indeed, no Free Software after all.

    best regards / Gruß
    Moritz Beller
    Moritz Beller, Oct 8, 2005
  6. Wayne

    Kai-Uwe Bux Guest

    Moritz Beller wrote:

    > On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 01:36:53 GMT
    > "Mike Wahler" <> wrote:
    >
    >> It's software, and it's free (i.e. no charge).
    >> It's free software. Really.

    > You seem to neglect the important points of Free Software. At best it's
    > "Free Beer Sofware" or "freeware", if you like.

    It' free software. The phrase is completely in line with other "free ..."
    terms. No need to invent new words like the terms you suggested.

    > Nota bene there also is a difference between "Free Software" and the

    ambiguous "free software".

    Yes, it's not Free Software. But nobody in this thread ever claimed it to
    be. Also, it is debatable whether the term "free software" is ambiguous;
    and if it was, one could ask who's fault that would be: probably just those
    are to blame who misspell "Free Software".

    > Free software, as defined by the Free Software Foundation, is software
    > which, once obtained, can be used, copied, studied, modified and
    > redistributed.

    I take it, you meant "Free Software, ...".
    ^^^

    > The only thing that is free in the Microsoft compiler case is that it
    > costs you nothing.

    Yes, and that's why it is free software.

    I am not doing too well in decoding subtexts, so I just ask: Do you want to
    make it sound like it's a bad thing that the Microsoft compiler is offered
    free of charge? It appears that Microsoft is well within its rights to do
    that. And anybody is free, to take it or not.

    > Indeed, no Free Software after all.

    Again, nobody claimed it to be.

    Best

    Kai-Uwe Bux
    Kai-Uwe Bux, Oct 8, 2005
  7. Re: [OT, link, redirect, welcome msg] how to access help for MSVisual C++ 5.0 compiler (AKA Developer Studio 97)

    On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 10:51:19 -0400
    Kai-Uwe Bux <> wrote:

    > It' free software. The phrase is completely in line with other
    > "free ..."
    > terms. No need to invent new words like the terms you suggested.

    If Mike had understood what I have written, this debate would never
    have been arisen:

    | "Moritz Beller" <> wrote in message
    | > On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 22:45:55 GMT
    | > "Mike Wahler" <> wrote:
    | >> you upgrade to a current version (Microsoft has a free one
    | > ~~~~
    | > 'Free' as in free beer, meaning that you can download the thing
    | > without
    | > having to pay for it.
    | > As opposed to Free Software.

    This is fool-safe. I wanted to make sure everybody understands there is
    a huge difference between free software and Free Software.

    I have never claimed Mike was wrong with his statement. What I did was
    to give an extra piece of information for those willing to know small,
    yet important differences.

    > I take it, you meant "Free Software, ...".
    > ^^^

    Both writings exist.

    > > The only thing that is free in the Microsoft compiler case is that
    > > it
    > > costs you nothing.

    > Yes, and that's why it is free software.

    Right: 'Free' as in free beer, meaning that you can download the thing

    Moritz Beller, Oct 8, 2005
  8. Wayne

    Wayne Guest

    Re: [OT, link, redirect, welcome msg] how to access help for MS Visual C++ 5.0 compiler (AKA Developer Studio 97)

    In article <DUC1f.4671$>,
    says...

    >None of this has anything to do with standard C++, the
    >only topic here.

    Mike, it isnt clear how your thread which developed here about free
    software is on-topic, when a question about help with a C++ compiler is
    not.
    Wayne, Oct 8, 2005
  9. Re: [OT, link, redirect, welcome msg] how to access help for MS Visual C++ 5.0 compiler (AKA Developer Studio 97)

    * Wayne:
    > * Mike Wahler:
    > >
    > >None of this has anything to do with standard C++, the
    > >only topic here.

    > Mike, it isnt clear how your thread which developed here about free
    > software is on-topic,

    It isn't Mike's thread.

    > when a question about help with a C++ compiler is not.

    The original message was about configuring a help system.

    Mike is right, and you are wrong.

    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is it such a bad thing?
    Alf P. Steinbach, Oct 8, 2005
  10. Re: [OT, link, redirect, welcome msg] how to access help for MS VisualC++ 5.0 compiler (AKA Developer Studio 97)

    Moritz Beller wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 10:51:19 -0400
    > Kai-Uwe Bux <> wrote:
    >

    >>It' free software. The phrase is completely in line with other
    >>"free ..."
    >>terms. No need to invent new words like the terms you suggested.

    > If Mike had understood what I have written, this debate would never
    > have been arisen:

    I think Mike did, he was just gently mocking you, at least that's my
    take on it, no doubt he can speak for himself.

    john
    John Harrison, Oct 8, 2005