    Thanks in advance.

    Regards,
    Kamal.
    KAMAL, Nov 3, 2006

  2. KAMAL

    Tim_Mac Guest

    hi Kamal,
    i would question whether asp.net is the best choice of technology for what
    you want to do. i found it difficult to understand your post, but i will
    make the following suggestions anyway:

    remember that Asp.Net will never give you access to a client file system
    (except cookies of course), because it is being browsed over the generally
    unsecure internet. your only option with Asp.Net is for the client to upload
    a file to your web server, via the FileUpload control. alternatively the
    client can download a file from the server.

    how are your clients distributed? you say you want them to have some
    software installed, which software? if you know how your clients are, just
    get them to install an FTP server on their computer, or even better, get
    them to sign up for a free FolderShare account, and share the computers in
    the same FolderShare account. this will allow you to search the entire file
    system via the FolderShare website, and it handles the downloading of the
    file.

    you could also use Windows XP remote assistance:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/remoteassist/intro.mspx

    beyond that, you'll have to give a more detailed description of how and why
    you intend to access a client file system via a web browser (it doesn't make
    much sense to me).

    hope this helps
    tim
    Tim_Mac, Nov 3, 2006

  3. KAMAL

    KAMAL Guest

    Hi Tim_MAC

    Thanks for u r response. In my project i said that software i.e a
    ..net developed program which runs backgroundly on clients machine. In that
    we will write getting the system information,drives information etc...
    Throught the window application which is installed on client machine i want
    to get the client system information. Is it possible.
    KAMAL, Nov 4, 2006
  4. KAMAL

    Tim_Mac Guest

    hi Kamal,
    that's much clearer thank you.
    to read the list of drives off a computer in a winforms application, use the
    DriveInfo.GetDrives() method which is new in .net 2.0. The SDK description
    for this method is: "Retrieves the drive names of all logical drives on a
    computer".
    the SystemInformation class will give you some basic information about the
    computer environment.
    you can also look in the System.Management Namespace which "Provides access
    to a rich set of management information and management events about the
    system, devices, and applications instrumented to the Windows Management
    Instrumentation (WMI) infrastructure"

    i hope this helps
    tim

    Tim_Mac, Nov 4, 2006