    If anyone knows where to go, such as online tutorial or books, please
    share the information with me. Thanks.

    fuli open

    fuli open, Apr 28, 2007

  2. fuli open

    Bergamot Guest

    fuli open wrote:
    > When moving the cursor to an underlined word in some pages, a large
    > rectangle will appear at its right upper corner or somewhere around,
    > displaying relevant information.

    You didn't supply a URL where you saw this effect so I'll guess it's a
    "tool tip", typically done with the title attribute, but there are other
    ways to show pop-up text, such as
    http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/popups/demo.html

    You can use the title attribute on pretty much any element - links,
    images, table cells, whole paragraphs, etc.
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#adef-title

    Just use pop-up text with caution. If the info is important, make sure
    people who don't use a mouse can still get to it.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Apr 28, 2007

  3. fuli open

    Jim Moe Guest

    fuli open wrote:
    > When moving the cursor to an underlined word in some pages, a large
    > rectangle will appear at its right upper corner or somewhere around,
    > displaying relevant information. When the cursor moves away, the
    > rectangle disappears. This is a convenient and useful effect, and I
    > like to learn the skills.

    If the text is underlined, it is likely the <acronym> tag. Without an
    URL, though, I'm only guessing.
    As Bergamot noted you add the "title" attribute to get the flyout.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

    Jim Moe, Apr 29, 2007
  4. Scripsit fuli open:

    > When moving the cursor to an underlined word in some pages, a large
    > rectangle will appear at its right upper corner or somewhere around,
    > displaying relevant information. When the cursor moves away, the
    > rectangle disappears. This is a convenient and useful effect, and I
    > like to learn the skills.

    I'm sure that if you had tried hard, you could have described this more
    descriptively than "this effect" at your Subject line. Remember that people
    decide mostly on the basis of the Subject line whether they bother reading a
    message at all, so by using vague Subject lines, you're excluding the busy
    experts from your audience.

    In fact, it's not convenient, and it's not useful at all when authors _rely_
    on it.

    To start with, in the most common method of creating such popup texts, the
    font size is stupidly small and the text vanishes after a few seconds,
    though you can get it back by using the mouse again - and by the time you
    locate the position where you were reading, it vanishes again.

    > If anyone knows where to go, such as online tutorial or books, please
    > share the information with me. Thanks.

    The brief tutorial is "Don't".

    When you have designed and implemented a page where all the relevant
    information is available without such tricks, either as normal content or
    via normal links, and you would like to enhance it by making some of the
    information _more comfortably_ available to some users, you can ask for the
    Advanced Tutorial. But then you have to pay: to post a URL and an
    explanation of what texts should appear as mouseover tooltips and where.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Apr 29, 2007
  5. fuli open

    dorayme Guest

    In article <g9XYh.155500$>,
    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:

    > so by using vague Subject lines, you're excluding the busy
    > experts from your audience

    Are we to conclude then that you have a little time on your hands
    at the moment then? <g>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 29, 2007