How to add a component in vs2005

Guest

How to add a component in vs2005
I'm stepping through an asp.net walkthrough at:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...ngwebapplicationusingvisualcorvisualbasic.asp

The goal of the walkthrough is to "In this section, you create a Visual C#
or Visual Basic Web Application project that represents the application's
user interface. On the Web Forms page, you are going to place a DataSet,
DataGrid, and a DataView to view a specific table in the database.

You are also going to add a component where you create the data-access
object that contains your data source."

Early on the instructions say "To add the component

In Solution Explorer, right-click the project name.
On the shortcut menu, click Add, and then click Add Component.
The Add New Item dialog box appears and the Component Class in the right
pane will be selected by default.

Accept the default name (Component1) and click Open."

However Add does not exist. Only add new or existing items exist.
'Component' is not among the choices.

Is this a difference between asp.net 1.1 and 2.0, or am I missing something.
How do you add a component in vs studio 2005?

dennist685

Juan T. Llibre

It's after "Add ASP.NET Folder" and before "Add Web Reference".

Are you clicking the right place ?
Don't right-click the Solution name; right-click the website name under it.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Dennist,

As for the following link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsintro7/ht
ml/vxwlkwalkthroughcreatingwebapplicationusingvisualcorvisualbasic.asp

I'm afraid it is a walkthrough for VS.NET 2003 /developing asp.net 1.1
page.... Also, in ASP.NET 2.0, the default build-in model has somewhat
change, we no longer rely on component very much since most data accessing
components in ASP.NET 1.1 has been encapsulated as DataAccess Controls like
the DataSource controls. And if you still want to create component, we
can just through the "Add New Item...." and choose Class, then in the
created class file, make our custom class derived from
System.ComponentModel.Component , that's enough. However, IMO, in ASP.NET
2.0, the new data accessing model has provided the much simplified means
for us to accessing and displaying data, it's recommend to use those
DataSource controls and databound controls (unless you want to
programmatically do the dataaccessing task...)

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security