    Please please please could someone please provide me with help, or
    coding on how to add item details into a basket record, once the user clicks
    the add to basket link.

    nike, Jan 12, 2005

  2. Gérard Leclercq, Jan 12, 2005

  3. nike adeshola, Jan 12, 2005
  4. nike

    Mark Schupp Guest

    Have you done a design or are you trying to jump right into coding?

    If you have not done a design yet you need to think through how the site is
    to work. What will the user see, what will they have to do, what pages will
    be displayed and about what they will look like.

    I've never done a shopping cart myself but the critical part that usually
    comes up on this newsgroup is how to store the user's list of items in
    between pages. 2 ways are commonly in use:

    Put the information in session variables. This is fast and easy to do
    but sessions can expire (losing data), sessions require in-memory cookies to
    be enabled, and session variables use server memory which could impact
    performance on a heavily used site.

    Keep the information in a database and pass an identifier around in a
    session variable, or a hidden form field, or in the query string.

    Once you get a little further along and have specific questions about how to
    do things you should be able to get more detailed help here. However, it is
    usually quicker to open a book on ASP and get answers to routine questions.
    Also see www.aspfaq.com and some of the other ASP sites like www.asp101.com.

    --
    --Mark Schupp
    Head of Development