How to add </textarea> within <textarea> tags?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by frank.moens@gmail.com, Jul 4, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I guess this is not such an uncommon question to ask, but due to the
    fact that google change my "</textarea>" to just "textarea" I am
    unable to find any solutions.

    I would like to alter database generated html pages via a webform,
    this form basically creates a javascript which updates the page
    without the user having a reload of his page. Therefore I using
    something like: parent.document.form1.title.value = "Blablabla".

    To enhance flexibility I would like to be able to include all html
    tags (yes, I know, it's not safe, but it's limited to a very
    restricted group of people that should know what they're doing). So..
    at one point I tried to add a submission form at the end of an article
    with <textarea></textarea> tags. And although it did add this code,
    the next time I'd try to change the article, it was cut of at the
    first </textarea>

    Sure enough I have to add some tag or escape a character, but I'd like
    the user to be able see </textarea> in their textarea (instead of &lt;/
    texarea&gt;)

    What can I do to change this?

    Thanks a lot,

    Frank.

    , Jul 4, 2007

  2. On 4 jul, 17:40, wrote:
    > I guess this is not such an uncommon question to ask, but due to the
    > fact that google change my "</textarea>" to just "textarea" I am
    > unable to find any solutions.
    >
    > I would like to alter database generated html pages via a webform,
    > this form basically creates a javascript which updates the page
    > without the user having a reload of his page. Therefore I using
    > something like: parent.document.form1.title.value = "Blablabla".
    >
    > To enhance flexibility I would like to be able to include all html
    > tags (yes, I know, it's not safe, but it's limited to a very
    > restricted group of people that should know what they're doing). So..
    > at one point I tried to add a submission form at the end of an article
    > with <textarea></textarea> tags. And although it did add this code,
    > the next time I'd try to change the article, it was cut of at the
    > first </textarea>
    >
    > Sure enough I have to add some tag or escape a character, but I'd like
    > the user to be able see </textarea> in their textarea (instead of &lt;/
    > texarea&gt;)
    >
    > What can I do to change this?

    The only reliable way is

    <textarea name="T">&lt;/textarea&gt;</textarea>

    'T' will be sent to server with URL-encoded values of '<' (%3C) and
    '>' (%3E). Just as when you would type '<' or '>'.

    --
    Bart

    Bart Van der Donck, Jul 4, 2007