how to add two no. of 100 digits or more?

Tim Prince

Dik said:
Initially we used 300 Bd auto-diallers (that were illegal in the Netherlands),
to reduce cost.
In the USA also, the local telcos claimed the right to break an acoustic
modem call made on a general-purpose tone dial-up line. They would call
and say they had the right to terminate service on account of it (at
least up to 1979, when I received such a call). We were paying 30% extra
for tone dial lines at the time. I had no modem for my first Z80 PC. We
didn't get 56k dial-up until 1999.
How did this come into a thread about multiple precision addition?

Chris Torek

The ARPA network made a transition to TCP/IP gradually sometime
around 1981-82.

Actually, it was sort of sudden. I remember a lot of fuss during
the NCP-to-TCP cutover. (The switch was required, though, because
NCP had an 8-bit "host number" and thus was limited to 256 hosts
on the entire worldwide network. :) ) There was a lot of prep
work first, of course -- and as I recall, a separate network
(or perhaps several) continued to use NCP for some time.

(The University of Maryland got onto what was becoming the Internet
in the mid-1980s, via a connection by ECUs to an IMP that was
actually on MILNET. The remote end of that connection was located
at the NSA, somewhere in or near Fort Meade, which made for a
remarkable snippet of phone conversation one time. ECUs had some
reliability problems, and too-often needed a manual reset. This
had to be done at their end as well, which meant we had to call
someone there to do it. One time when we called -- I was not the
one on the phone, but was present -- I heard Jim, the caller, say
something like: "uh, it's green", followed by an aside to me: "he
wants to know, `what color is my phone'.")

(I will also note here that we were on Usenet by late 1982 or so,
certainly by 1983 anyway. The net.lang.c group existed by the time
I first read Usenet news, though.)

Ah, yes, Bolt-Beranek-Newman. Without one you could not connect.

To bring things on topic for a moment :) we should also mention
the BBN "C machines", so called because they were designed to run
compiled C code. These were probably the first machines so designed,
since earlier architectures generally predated the language.

The "C machines" had 10-bit bytes.

Yes, the first machines specifically designed to work with C had
bigger-than-8-bit bytes.

(See <http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/ien/ien164.txt>. The last
paragraph on page 2, before the footnotes, describes the memory
resources on the C/50 and C/70.)

Dik T. Winter

> In the USA also, the local telcos claimed the right to break an acoustic
> modem call made on a general-purpose tone dial-up line.

Acoustic modem calls were allowed in Europe if the modem was certified by
the national telco. But they did not certify auto-diallers.
> We were paying 30% extra
> for tone dial lines at the time.

Yes, that always surprised me. Never heard about such in Europe. Only
that some menu systems did not work if you did *not* use tone dial.
> I had no modem for my first Z80 PC. We
> didn't get 56k dial-up until 1999.

Here, as long as you held to the standards and the modems were certified, it
was available. So as soon as 56k was standardised, it became available (yes
certification of modems was fairly fast). I think around 1999 already a
fairly large proportion of the public in the Netherlands had broadband
access through cable networks. I think I got mine around 1997. Currently
broadband through either cable or ADSL is fairly common in the Netherlands.
> How did this come into a thread about multiple precision addition?

Somebody wondering about comp.lang.c even before 1998 and topic-drift?

Charlton Wilbur

U> I heard this can be made possible using linked-lists..is it
U> true. If yes, how?

It may or may not be true. Try it and come to your own conclusions.

Charlton

osmium

Umesh said:
I heard this can be made possible using linked-lists..is it true. If
yes, how?

Is "this" different than "it", or are they the same thing?

Are you trying to kidnap this nostalgia thread for your own nefarious
purposes? Go back a hundred posts or so and try some of the things
suggested to you then; using an array is easier than using a linked list.

And BTW, RH, who *is* Christine Perfect?

Richard Heathfield

osmium said:

And BTW, RH, who *is* Christine Perfect?

Singer with Fleetwood Mac (on and off). She wrote "You make loving fun",
"Don't stop", and "Little lies", among others. And yes, that really is
her name - well, her maiden name, at least.

Mark McIntyre

osmium said:

Singer with Fleetwood Mac (on and off). She wrote "You make loving fun",
"Don't stop", and "Little lies", among others. And yes, that really is
her name - well, her maiden name, at least.

Better knowns as Christine McVie of course.
--
Mark McIntyre

--Brian Kernighan