How to align text in my page heading?

dorayme

David Segall said:
Of course I would be interested in your ideas. I was pleased with
Ben's response because he provided an answer that met my
specification.

Fair enough, but that is why I was puzzled. It seemed I did not
understand your specification.

I did not respond to your previous post in this thread because I
assumed you were simply chiding me for accepting a solution that might
fail and you knew that there was an implied "the text must not break
out of the blue area". I have accepted the fact that _I_ cannot design
an application that will work well on a wrist watch computer and a
plasma TV screen without extensive additional code that "knows" the
size of the viewport. If you have a solution to the problem I posed
that works over a wider range of viewports I would be grateful if you
would post it.

David, your text was jumping out of its box on my 20" monitor, I
rarely use the whole area for a browser and I often read with
text size bigger than you seem more accustomed to. I was not
really chiding you, I was thinking up theories about what it was
quite that you were wanting. I was not in any way critical of
Ben's proposals.

Lets see if you like the latest proposed solution by someone who
studiously avoids my name... someone who seems to have a rather
nice idea. If this does not please you, say so and I will have a
go... <g>

David Segall

dorayme said:
Fair enough, but that is why I was puzzled. It seemed I did not
understand your specification.

David, your text was jumping out of its box on my 20" monitor, I
rarely use the whole area for a browser and I often read with
text size bigger than you seem more accustomed to. I was not
really chiding you, I was thinking up theories about what it was
quite that you were wanting. I was not in any way critical of
Ben's proposals.

Lets see if you like the latest proposed solution by someone who
studiously avoids my name... someone who seems to have a rather
nice idea. If this does not please you, say so and I will have a
go... <g>
Thanks dorayme. Since everyone approves of Bergamot's solution and Ben
C warned me that than an "improved" version of his would be
complicated I have to acknowledge that the problem I posed does not
have a simple solution. Although I am prepared to accept that my site
will break for viewports and font sizes outside the range I am capable
of designing I am not about to reject a superior "fluid design".

dorayme

David Segall said:
Thanks dorayme. Since everyone approves of Bergamot's solution and Ben
C warned me that than an "improved" version of his would be
complicated I have to acknowledge that the problem I posed does not
have a simple solution. Although I am prepared to accept that my site
will break for viewports and font sizes outside the range I am capable
of designing I am not about to reject a superior "fluid design".

Good for you and good luck on your project.

Just one thing though, while I agree that no author can be
expected to have a design look its best at all times on all
computers, the standard around here (but most definitely not out
there in the real world) is 'a few clicks of text size adjustment
by the user should make little difference, nor a range of
monitors from at least 800px to 1600px.

Now, of course, this might seem vague to you, but you can make it
mean more by thinking about it: for example, up the text size and
yes, it will look different but will something look 'particularly
wrong'? And you will develop a sense of judgement about these
things, nothing you can actually write down in strict rules...