    Any tips on "personal style" aspects of Perl that I need to watch out
    for to depersonalize or anonymize them?

    Thanks

    Nomen Nescio, Aug 2, 2006

  2. Nomen Nescio

    Paul Lalli Guest

    Nomen Nescio wrote:
    > I want to publish a few of my Perl programs on usenet but I don't want
    > it to be obvious who wrote them.

    I'm afraid to ask, but why? Why are you concerned that people might
    identify these programs with you?

    > Any tips on "personal style" aspects of Perl that I need to watch out
    > for to depersonalize or anonymize them?

    Well, for starters, take out any comments that identify you personally.
    After that, I would recommend reading
    perldoc perlstyle
    to see examples of generally considered *good* style.

    Then you can download the Perl::Tidy module and the perltidy utility
    (search CPAN) to reformat your code to a more standardized style...

    I'm still worried about the root cause of your overall goal, however.
    I can imagine two or three reasons one might want to disassociate
    onesself from publically available code. None of them good...

    Paul Lalli

    Paul Lalli, Aug 2, 2006

  3. Nomen Nescio

    Ted Zlatanov Guest

    On 2 Aug 2006, wrote:

    > I want to publish a few of my Perl programs on usenet but I don't want
    > it to be obvious who wrote them.

    Run it through Acme::Buffy.

    http://search.cpan.org/~lbrocard/Acme-Buffy-1.3/lib/Acme/Buffy.pm

    (I'm joking)

    > Any tips on "personal style" aspects of Perl that I need to watch out
    > for to depersonalize or anonymize them?

    Indentation, comments, and variable/subroutine names should be removed
    and obfuscated respectively. Try a Perl obfuscator. I haven't used
    any, but
    http://search.cpan.org/~smueller/PAR-0.942/lib/PAR/Filter/Obfuscate.pm
    could be useful.

    Based on the data structures, modules, and flow control it's usually
    easy to tell how experienced the author is. You can't hide this.

    If you explain more about your reasons, and the possible audience of
    your code who may want to find you, we could give you better advice.

    Ted

    Ted Zlatanov, Aug 2, 2006
  4. Nomen Nescio

    Guest

    , Aug 2, 2006
  5. Nomen Nescio

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    wrote:

    > Nomen Nescio wrote:
    > > I want to publish a few of my Perl programs on usenet but I don't want
    > > it to be obvious who wrote them.

    > You can always use Acme::Bleach to 'clean up' your program:
    > http://search.cpan.org/~dconway/Acme-Bleach-1.12/lib/Acme/Bleach.pm

    Ha! I want the program which I'm donating to the public domain to be
    readable and modifiable by other people.

    Nomen Nescio, Aug 3, 2006
  6. Nomen Nescio

    Guest

    Nomen Nescio wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Nomen Nescio wrote:
    > > > I want to publish a few of my Perl programs on usenet but I don't want
    > > > it to be obvious who wrote them.

    > > You can always use Acme::Bleach to 'clean up' your program:
    > > http://search.cpan.org/~dconway/Acme-Bleach-1.12/lib/Acme/Bleach.pm

    > Ha! I want the program which I'm donating to the public domain to be
    > readable and modifiable by other people.

    You might also want to look at B::Deparse:

    perl -MO=Deparse yourprogram.pl

    It reads the bytecode perl produces and creates a perl program out of
    it.

    , Aug 3, 2006
  7. Nomen Nescio

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    wrote:

    > You might also want to look at B::Deparse:
    >
    > perl -MO=Deparse yourprogram.pl
    >
    > It reads the bytecode perl produces and creates a perl program out of
    > it.

    Yes, thanks!

    Nomen Nescio, Aug 7, 2006
  8. Nomen Nescio

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    "Paul Lalli" <> wrote:

    > Well, for starters, take out any comments that identify you personally.
    > After that, I would recommend reading
    > perldoc perlstyle
    > to see examples of generally considered *good* style.
    >
    > Then you can download the Perl::Tidy module and the perltidy utility
    > (search CPAN) to reformat your code to a more standardized style...

    Good ideas, thanks!

    Nomen Nescio, Aug 7, 2006
  9. Nomen Nescio

    Jamie Guest

    In <>,
    Nomen Nescio <> mentions:
    >I want to publish a few of my Perl programs on usenet but I don't want
    >it to be obvious who wrote them.
    >
    >Any tips on "personal style" aspects of Perl that I need to watch out
    >for to depersonalize or anonymize them?

    Just release it with your name intact. If anyone actually picks on it,
    at least you'll know they were interested. :)

    I release some garbage, some good. With perl, I do it because I enjoy it and I
    don't really care what others say. In the case of PHP and one or two perl
    scripts, it's another story, that is strictly commercial. (business stuff
    should have more quality put into it) Smaller web tools and such I put more
    quality into.

    For some things I do put a lot more effort into, for example anything that goes
    on CPAN simply must have test cases and stuff for the CPAN module to work.

    I've only done one CPAN tool. CPAN feels more like presenting yourself to a
    judge for sentancing as opposed to actually being fun, I can understand
    why it's like that, but it's not my idea of "fun" by any means.

    My newsreader is an example of "fun garbage" more bugs than you can shake a
    stick at. I'm a little embarassed but on the other hand, I do use it all the
    time so it is usable, maybe someone else some year will contact me and ask for
    the most recent copy I have. (my "home copy" has a lot of bugs fixed but at a
    cost of bugs in things I don't use) It's purely for fun, as it should be. No
    ones life depends on a newsreader. Fun is the motive, it's a very complex
    piece of fun garbage.

    You won't be improving anyones life or anything, if those are your reasons..
    forget it!

    Only reason for releasing anything is because you have a compulsion to do so.
    No one cares about the author, no one cares about you. They care about how
    whatever-it-is relates to their lives.

    Just release it and develop a thick skull. (in the case of the "perl commmunity"
    you really /NEED/ a thick skull!) :)

    DO Take this with a grain of salt, doesn't always apply to everything.

    Jamie
    (rot13) User Management Solutions

    Jamie, Aug 22, 2006