how to automatically show user he's been logged out

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Keith G Hicks, Mar 8, 2008.

  1. asp.net 2.0

    I have set my web.config as follows: <forms timeout="30"/> (I know that's
    the default but I may chang it so the line's in there)

    I also have a few cookies I'm setting on my login page to hold the UserName,
    UserID and the value of another field in my db so that as the user is
    navigating around the site I can test for certain things. All that seems to
    be fine. I've set the cookies to expire in 30 minutes also to coordinate
    wiht the login stuff in asp.net 2.

    I tested all this by setting the above times to 1 minute. If I log in and go
    to a page that requires login and then don't do anythign for one minute and
    then try to do something that requires me to be logged in, the login page
    appears again and all's good.

    The problem is that I have my login link and my LoginName control on my
    master page and so even after the timeout has occurred, those still indicate
    the user is logged in. They don't change to the logged out state until after
    I try to do some action. I'd like to update these automatically and put a
    message up that says the user has been logged out when that happens. I've
    been to many websites where this is done. My bank's site for example does
    this. After 10 minutes of inactivity, I'm logged out and the page is updated
    to reflect the fact that I'm no longer logged in. I'm presented with the
    login text boxes again. How can I do this same thing? How can I
    automatically update the page to show that after the timeout the user has to
    log in again. Otherwise, even though the user is actually no longer
    authenticated, the page seems to indicate that he's still logged in.

    Thanks,

    Keith
    Keith G Hicks, Mar 8, 2008

  2. Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

    Keith G Hicks, Mar 10, 2008

  3. Keith G Hicks

    Larry Bud Guest

    On Mar 10, 11:19 am, "Keith G Hicks" <> wrote:
    > Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?
    >
    > "Keith G Hicks" <> wrote in messagenews:O6#$...
    >

    > > asp.net 2.0

    > > I have set my web.config as follows: <forms timeout="30"/> (I know that's
    > > the default but I may chang it so the line's in there)

    > > I also have a few cookies I'm setting on my login page to hold the

    > UserName,
    > > UserID and the value of another field in my db so that as the user is
    > > navigating around the site I can test for certain things. All that seems

    > > be fine. I've set the cookies to expire in 30 minutes also to coordinate
    > > wiht the login stuff in asp.net 2.

    > > I tested all this by setting the above times to 1 minute. If I log in and

    > go
    > > to a page that requires login and then don't do anythign for one minute

    > and
    > > then try to do something that requires me to be logged in, the login page
    > > appears again and all's good.

    > > The problem is that I have my login link and my LoginName control on my
    > > master page and so even after the timeout has occurred, those still

    > indicate
    > > the user is logged in. They don't change to the logged out state until

    > after
    > > I try to do some action. I'd like to update these automatically and put a
    > > message up that says the user has been logged out when that happens. I've
    > > been to many websites where this is done. My bank's site for example does
    > > this. After 10 minutes of inactivity, I'm logged out and the page is

    > updated
    > > to reflect the fact that I'm no longer logged in. I'm presented with the
    > > login text boxes again. How can I do this same thing? How can I
    > > automatically update the page to show that after the timeout the user has

    > > log in again. Otherwise, even though the user is actually no longer
    > > authenticated, the page seems to indicate that he's still logged in.

    It has to be handled with a timer on the clint via Javascript. That
    timer has to be set to the same as the session timeout. Once the
    timer runs out, forward to another page (or display a hidden <DIV>
    that tells the user he's logged out).
    Larry Bud, Mar 10, 2008