How to avoid frames?

Cogito

My current web page design consists of a form with the classical
layout of an index column on the left and a wide contents column on
the right. I would like to change it to a non-form design but I don't
know how. Do I need to repeat the left-side index code in every page?
I would appreciate some advice and perhaps a link to a clear sample
code.

Steve

Mark Parnell

My current web page design consists of a form with the classical

Your entire site is a form?
layout of an index column on the left and a wide contents column on
the right. I would like to change it to a non-form design but I don't

Non-*frames* design?
know how. Do I need to repeat the left-side index code in every page?

You can if you really want to, but there are much easier alternatives.
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another

SpaceGirl

Cogito said:
My current web page design consists of a form with the classical
layout of an index column on the left and a wide contents column on
the right. I would like to change it to a non-form design but I don't
know how. Do I need to repeat the left-side index code in every page?
I would appreciate some advice and perhaps a link to a clear sample
code.

Steve

I agree with Mark - includes are the way to go. If you need scrolling
within a specific area of the page, you can use a <div...> (aka 'layer')
with the CSS overflow property set to 'auto' and specify the size of the
area. Scrollbars will automatically be displayed. Search engines dont
choke on these scrolling divs, unlike frames.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

SpaceGirl

Cogito said:
Thanks for your reply. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand
words. With HTML, an example is worth a thousand words. To spare me
reading endless pages would you have a simple example of a page with
an index on the left and contents on the right?

www.subhuman.net

that's one of our play sites... the entire site is frame free (except
for two, but they're not important). The menus are NOT part of the page.
Neither is the big banner across the top, the menu on the right, the top
and tail of the HTML source... all those elements are 'added' to the
page by our server via includes, meaning when I add a new page to the
site it take minutes and will automatically have all the display elements.

Also www.garbage.com, which is a commercial site. Not traditional layout
and using iframes, however none of the frames really exist - they are
generated by scripts in include files which are then assembled into the
final page before being sent to a users browser.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Cogito said:
My current web page design consists of a form with the classical
layout of an index column on the left and a wide contents column on
the right. I would like to change it to a non-form design but I don't
know how. Do I need to repeat the left-side index code in every page?
I would appreciate some advice and perhaps a link to a clear sample
code.

The simplest, smallest script I know of for preprocessing is the mcat.pl
script, part of the small download package at

http://www.mbstevens.com/preprocessor/index.html

SpaceGirl

Webcastmaker said:
Man I find those pop-up "tool hints" on the menu to be really
annoying.

How so?

The site is being replaced this month. We have something VERY sexy on
the way. There are no floating panels (probably wont be added) but I'm
curious why you dont like them?

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

rf

SpaceGirl wrote

They are *in your face*. I for one subconciously move my mouse all over the
place, probably as an aid to reading, like little kids to with their finger
in a book, or maybe just a thing to keep it visible or moving, just waiting
to pounce on a link.

These things pop up instantly.

Normal tooltips to not, they wait a respectable 500 milliseconds or so.

SpaceGirl

rf said:
They are *in your face*. I for one subconciously move my mouse all over the
place, probably as an aid to reading, like little kids to with their finger
in a book, or maybe just a thing to keep it visible or moving, just waiting
to pounce on a link.

These things pop up instantly.

Normal tooltips to not, they wait a respectable 500 milliseconds or so.

oh, okay, fair enough. I can add that to the script should we need it on
this site (hope not, trying to avoid client side scripts).

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Webcastmaker

I really can't say how so, other than it take way from the site when
they pop up. They seemed to be more in the way than helpful (take
my comment with a grain of salt)

SpaceGirl

Webcastmaker said:
I really can't say how so, other than it take way from the site when
they pop up. They seemed to be more in the way than helpful (take
my comment with a grain of salt)

No, I'd rather honest feedback. We're in the process of redoing the site
and if there a bits you dont like I should think about it :) Thanks.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)