    I would appreciate some advice and perhaps a link to a clear sample
    code.

    Steve

    Cogito, Jul 21, 2004

  2. Cogito

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 00:20:55 GMT, Cogito <> declared
    in alt.html:

    > My current web page design consists of a form with the classical

    Your entire site is a form?

    > layout of an index column on the left and a wide contents column on
    > the right. I would like to change it to a non-form design but I don't

    Non-*frames* design?

    > know how. Do I need to repeat the left-side index code in every page?

    You can if you really want to, but there are much easier alternatives.
    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Jul 21, 2004

  3. Cogito

    Cogito Guest

    Oooops, I mean it's a frame not a form.

    Cogito, Jul 21, 2004
  4. Cogito

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Cogito wrote:

    > My current web page design consists of a form with the classical
    > layout of an index column on the left and a wide contents column on
    > the right. I would like to change it to a non-form design but I don't
    > know how. Do I need to repeat the left-side index code in every page?
    > I would appreciate some advice and perhaps a link to a clear sample
    > code.
    >
    > Steve

    I agree with Mark - includes are the way to go. If you need scrolling
    within a specific area of the page, you can use a <div...> (aka 'layer')
    with the CSS overflow property set to 'auto' and specify the size of the
    area. Scrollbars will automatically be displayed. Search engines dont
    choke on these scrolling divs, unlike frames.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jul 21, 2004
  5. Cogito

    Cogito Guest

    <> wrote:

    >You can if you really want to, but there are much easier alternatives.
    >http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another

    Thanks for your reply. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand
    words. With HTML, an example is worth a thousand words. To spare me
    reading endless pages would you have a simple example of a page with
    an index on the left and contents on the right?

    Cogito, Jul 21, 2004
  6. Cogito

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Cogito wrote:

    > On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:25:20 +1000, Mark Parnell
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>You can if you really want to, but there are much easier alternatives.
    >>http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another

    > Thanks for your reply. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand
    > words. With HTML, an example is worth a thousand words. To spare me
    > reading endless pages would you have a simple example of a page with
    > an index on the left and contents on the right?

    www.subhuman.net

    that's one of our play sites... the entire site is frame free (except
    for two, but they're not important). The menus are NOT part of the page.
    Neither is the big banner across the top, the menu on the right, the top
    and tail of the HTML source... all those elements are 'added' to the
    page by our server via includes, meaning when I add a new page to the
    site it take minutes and will automatically have all the display elements.

    Also www.garbage.com, which is a commercial site. Not traditional layout
    and using iframes, however none of the frames really exist - they are
    generated by scripts in include files which are then assembled into the
    final page before being sent to a users browser.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jul 21, 2004
  7. Cogito

    m Guest

    Cogito wrote:

    > My current web page design consists of a form with the classical
    > layout of an index column on the left and a wide contents column on
    > the right. I would like to change it to a non-form design but I don't
    > know how. Do I need to repeat the left-side index code in every page?
    > I would appreciate some advice and perhaps a link to a clear sample
    > code.

    The simplest, smallest script I know of for preprocessing is the mcat.pl
    script, part of the small download package at

    http://www.mbstevens.com/preprocessor/index.html

    m, Jul 21, 2004
  8. Cogito

    Webcastmaker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > www.subhuman.net

    Man I find those pop-up "tool hints" on the menu to be really
    annoying.
    --
    WebcastMaker
    www.webentations.com

    Webcastmaker, Jul 21, 2004
  9. Cogito

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Webcastmaker wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >>www.subhuman.net

    > Man I find those pop-up "tool hints" on the menu to be really
    > annoying.

    How so?

    The site is being replaced this month. We have something VERY sexy on
    the way. There are no floating panels (probably wont be added) but I'm
    curious why you dont like them?

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jul 21, 2004
  10. SpaceGirl schrieb:
    > Webcastmaker wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...
    >>
    >>> www.subhuman.net

    > The site is being replaced this month. We have something VERY sexy on
    > the way.

    I get it. ASP means Always Sexy Programmer.

    Matthias

    Matthias Gutfeldt, Jul 21, 2004
  11. Cogito

    rf Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote
    > Webcastmaker wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > >
    > >>www.subhuman.net

    > > Man I find those pop-up "tool hints" on the menu to be really
    > > annoying.

    > How so?

    They are *in your face*. I for one subconciously move my mouse all over the
    place, probably as an aid to reading, like little kids to with their finger
    in a book, or maybe just a thing to keep it visible or moving, just waiting
    to pounce on a link.

    These things pop up instantly.

    Normal tooltips to not, they wait a respectable 500 milliseconds or so.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jul 21, 2004
  12. Cogito

    Els Guest

    Matthias Gutfeldt wrote:

    > SpaceGirl schrieb:
    >> Webcastmaker wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <>,
    >>> says...

    >> The site is being replaced this month. We have something
    >> VERY sexy on the way.

    > I get it. ASP means Always Sexy Programmer.

    <g>

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Jul 21, 2004
  13. Cogito

    SpaceGirl Guest

    rf wrote:

    > They are *in your face*. I for one subconciously move my mouse all over the
    > place, probably as an aid to reading, like little kids to with their finger
    > in a book, or maybe just a thing to keep it visible or moving, just waiting
    > to pounce on a link.
    >
    > These things pop up instantly.
    >
    > Normal tooltips to not, they wait a respectable 500 milliseconds or so.

    oh, okay, fair enough. I can add that to the script should we need it on
    this site (hope not, trying to avoid client side scripts).

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jul 21, 2004
  14. Cogito

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Cogito wrote:
    > Subject: How to avoid frames?

    Remove the 'f' key from your keyboard and it will be very easy to avoid
    frames.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Now Playing ~ ./warm_jets/future_signs/02_never_never.ogg

    Toby Inkster, Jul 21, 2004
  15. Cogito

    Dano Guest

    "SpaceGirl" <> schreef in bericht
    > Webcastmaker wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > >
    > >>www.subhuman.net

    > > Man I find those pop-up "tool hints" on the menu to be really
    > > annoying.

    > How so?

    they don't show up in my pop-up blocking Mozilla

    Daniel

    Dano, Jul 21, 2004
  16. Cogito

    Webcastmaker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > > Man I find those pop-up "tool hints" on the menu to be really
    > > annoying.

    > How so?

    I really can't say how so, other than it take way from the site when
    they pop up. They seemed to be more in the way than helpful (take
    my comment with a grain of salt)

    --
    WebcastMaker
    www.webentations.com

    Webcastmaker, Jul 21, 2004
  17. Cogito

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Webcastmaker wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >>>Man I find those pop-up "tool hints" on the menu to be really
    >>>annoying.

    >>How so?

    > I really can't say how so, other than it take way from the site when
    > they pop up. They seemed to be more in the way than helpful (take
    > my comment with a grain of salt)

    No, I'd rather honest feedback. We're in the process of redoing the site
    and if there a bits you dont like I should think about it :) Thanks.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jul 21, 2004
  18. Cogito

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:

    > Cogito wrote:
    >
    >>Subject: How to avoid frames?

    > Remove the 'f' key from your keyboard and it will be very easy to avoid
    > frames.

    yeah but 'rames' are almost as bad... nasty little blighters!

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jul 21, 2004
  19. Cogito

    Neal Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:11:16 +0100, Toby Inkster
    <> wrote:

    > Cogito wrote:
    >> Subject: How to avoid frames?

    > Remove the 'f' key from your keyboard and it will be very easy to avoid
    > frames.

    And the font tag as well. Forms would suffer, however.

    Neal, Jul 21, 2004
  20. Toby Inkster wrote:
    > Cogito wrote:
    >
    >>Subject: How to avoid frames?

    > Remove the 'f' key from your keyboard and it will be very easy to avoid
    > frames.

    Then it will be 'rames' instead of 'frames' :)
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart

    Edwin van der Vaart, Jul 21, 2004