How to avoid frames?

rf

SpaceGirl wrote
oh, okay, fair enough. I can add that to the script should we need it on
this site (hope not, trying to avoid client side scripts).

What about a, ah, title?

Toby Inkster

Edwin said:
Then it will be 'rames' instead of 'frames' :)

And everyone loves Rames. (Rames of course is the singular form of the
word Rameses, who were a bunch of ancient Egyptian kings. There were
twelve Rameses and they were not particularly nice people -- so it's good
to have Rames as that means there's only one of them.)

Cogito

After all these post I'm still not closer to knowing what and how to
do it.
Isn't there a simple explanation somewhere that says:
1. ……
2. …..
etc.

Cogito

Have a go at:

http://bignosebird.com/sdocs/include.shtml

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

None of the above is offensive or incorrect. In fact many of the posts
are quite humorous. They just did not get me any closer to
understanding what needs to be done.

I can't believe that in order to have a simple page with a few links
in the index column and some data on the right one needs all this
complicated SSI stuff. How does everyone else do it?

PeterMcC

Cogito wrote in
I can't believe that in order to have a simple page with a few links
in the index column and some data on the right one needs all this
complicated SSI stuff. How does everyone else do it?

Complicated?

In your page where you want the inserted stuff:

<!--#include file="somename.txt"-->

somename.txt contains the html that you want to appear at that point.

Sorted.

To make sure that the server inserts the include as the page is delivered,
add the following to your .htaccess file:

AddHandler server-parsed .html

Bit rough and ready - you can make it more sophisticated - but it will get
the job done.

Philip Ronan

I can't believe that in order to have a simple page with a few links
in the index column and some data on the right one needs all this
complicated SSI stuff. How does everyone else do it?

Copy ... Paste

Cogito

In your page where you want the inserted stuff:

<!--#include file="somename.txt"-->

somename.txt contains the html that you want to appear at that point.

Sorted.

Now we are getting somewhere. This bit is easy.
To make sure that the server inserts the include as the page is delivered,
add the following to your .htaccess file:

AddHandler server-parsed .html

What is my .htaccess file? Never heard of it.

PeterMcC

Cogito wrote in
Now we are getting somewhere. This bit is easy.

What is my .htaccess file? Never heard of it.

On the assumption that you haven't got one on your server - and if you have
simply edit it to include the text in the instructions below - open Notepad
and type:

AddHandler server-parsed .html

Press Enter and the save as htaccess.txt

FTP it to your server and change its name to .htaccess - at which point it
will probably disappear from your FTP list because the default is for files
that start with a . to not be shown.

Luigi Donatello Asero

PeterMcC said:
Cogito wrote in

On the assumption that you haven't got one on your server - and if you have
simply edit it to include the text in the instructions below - open Notepad
and type:

AddHandler server-parsed .html

Press Enter and the save as htaccess.txt

FTP it to your server and change its name to .htaccess - at which point it
will probably disappear from your FTP list because the default is for files
that start with a . to not be shown.

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

What are the disadvantages and advantages to use SSI for the menu compared
with a menu in CSS with static pages?

SpaceGirl

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

What are the disadvantages and advantages to use SSI for the menu compared
with a menu in CSS with static pages?

Well, if you wanted to change your menu, you'd have to change it by hand
in every single page. If you use SSI, you only have to change ONE FILE,
and *all* the other pages in your site change instantly.

So, use SSI to include the menu on each page, and CSS to format the look
and feel of your web site. Suddenly you find you only have two files to
change if you want to modify the way EVERY SINGLE PAGE in your site
behaves. Change the CSS file to change the look of every page, change
the SSI file to change the menu on every page.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Luigi Donatello Asero

PeterMcC said:
Luigi Donatello Asero wrote in
<[email protected]>

I don't think that CSS impacts on the advantages/disadvantages of using SSI.

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

I suppose that what you mean is that CSS is for the layout and I can still
use it and use SSI at the same time.
Speaking about disadvantages, though,
the use of SSI implies that the server load increases, doesn´t it?

SpaceGirl

Luigi said:
I suppose that what you mean is that CSS is for the layout and I can still
use it and use SSI at the same time.
Speaking about disadvantages, though,
the use of SSI implies that the server load increases, doesn´t it?

No more so that feeding out all the extra HTTP requests for frames
etc... also 'pre-processed' versions of the pages are usually held in
memory on the server, so no extra workload is actually called on at all
- if anything, because of the reduced overhead from not having to send
multiple files to the client (remember, every single file sent t a
browser has a large unseen header of IP data and server data), pages
that are built from includes & CSS are likely to be smaller and faster

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Cogito

On the assumption that you haven't got one on your server - and if you have
simply edit it to include the text in the instructions below - open Notepad
and type:

AddHandler server-parsed .html

Press Enter and the save as htaccess.txt

FTP it to your server and change its name to .htaccess - at which point it
will probably disappear from your FTP list because the default is for files
that start with a . to not be shown.

Where on the server do I put it? In my the root directory or in the
directory where my other html files reside?

Does it mean that the only way to develop and test my html code is on
the server? Can't I test it on my pc?

Luigi Donatello Asero

SpaceGirl said:
Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

Well, if you wanted to change your menu, you'd have to change it by hand
in every single page. If you use SSI, you only have to change ONE FILE,
and *all* the other pages in your site change instantly.

So, use SSI to include the menu on each page, and CSS to format the look
and feel of your web site. Suddenly you find you only have two files to
change if you want to modify the way EVERY SINGLE PAGE in your site
behaves. Change the CSS file to change the look of every page, change
the SSI file to change the menu on every page.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Thank you, Miranda, for your answer.
How does the use of SSI to include the menu on each page affect robots? Do
robots save this file or not?

Kris

So, use SSI to include the menu on each page, and CSS to format the look
and feel of your web site. Suddenly you find you only have two files to
change if you want to modify the way EVERY SINGLE PAGE in your site
behaves. Change the CSS file to change the look of every page, change
the SSI file to change the menu on every page.
[/QUOTE]
Thank you, Miranda, for your answer.
How does the use of SSI to include the menu on each page affect robots? Do
robots save this file or not?

UAs (User Agents, like SE robots and browsers) do not even know you are
using SSI. All they receive is a complete HTML document. The server is
replacing the SSI markers in the document for content and that is a
process a UA does not know of.

If however for any reason the server is not capable of parsing the SSI
markers, then the document gets served up with those markers. These will
not cause any trouble by themselves since they are inside HTML comments
(and thus ignored). The missing content they were supposed to be
replaced by may cause problems though.

SpaceGirl

Luigi said:
Thank you, Miranda, for your answer.
How does the use of SSI to include the menu on each page affect robots? Do
robots save this file or not?

The browser (or search engine bot) has no clue that it is even
happening. The server spits out pure HTML, and there is NO indication
that includes are being used. Take a look at the source for
http://www.subhuman.net/index.asp okay it's a crappy site, and you can
ignore the two iframes being used. But can you work out how many
includes are being used? More than one :)

As far as a robot can see, it's exactly like any other web page and will
happily index it. Only the *server* knows that the page is actually
being stuck together from includes.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

rf

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote
How does the use of SSI to include the menu on each page affect robots? Do
robots save this file or not?

SSI happens server side. The robot, you or anybody else can not tell that it
has happened.

Philip Ronan

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote

SSI happens server side. The robot, you or anybody else can not tell that it
has happened.

That isn't entirely true.

A lot of servers leave out headers like "Content-length" and "Last-modified"
from SSI pages. This makes them harder to cache, slows down the delivery of
your pages, and might even affect their search ranking.

Phil