How to bind data in datalist

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jay Villa, Sep 4, 2005.

  1. Jay Villa

    Jay Villa Guest

    I have a aspx webform which has executes a query
    "Select * from userslist"

    I have a datalist for which i have to bind this query
    Dim oDataAdapter As OracleDataAdapter = New OracleDataAdapter(sSQL,
    ClientConnection)

    Dim ds As New DataSet

    oDataAdapter.Fill(ds, "LoginInformation")

    dataListQueue.DataSource = ds '.Tables("LoginInformation").DefaultView

    dataListQueue.DataBind()

    In the item template I've
    <b>Model Number: </b> <%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "lastname")%>

    But I dont see anything on the form ....

    Any help ....

    -Jay

    Jay Villa, Sep 4, 2005

  2. Jay,

    can you verify that "Select * from userslist" returns any rows?

    when get's your code executed?

    Regards

    Daniel Walzenbach

    Daniel Walzenbach, Sep 4, 2005

  3. Jay Villa

    Jay Villa Guest

    i can see it has records .... in the dataset ...

    Jay Villa, Sep 4, 2005
  4. Jay,

    when get's your code executed? Did you place it in any eventhandler or how
    is the structure of your application?

    Daniel Walzenbach, Sep 4, 2005
  5. Jay Villa

    Jay Villa Guest

    I am doing in page_load of a webform ....

    It is so funny it is printing
    <b>Model Number: </b> <%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "lastname")%>
    8 times which is equal to number of records

    Jay Villa, Sep 5, 2005
  6. Hi Jay,

    If the ASP.NET page output directly display the databinding expression like:

    <b>Model Number: </b> <%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "lastname")%>

    I think the problem maybe caused by the datalist's aspx template, would you
    provide the complete template in aspx page of the datalist to us? Also, you
    can try binding with some other datasource to verify that the problem is
    with the datalist's template. If there're any other finding, or anything
    unclear, please feel free to post here.

    Thanks & Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)
    --------------------
    | From: "Jay Villa" <>
    | Subject: Re: How to bind data in datalist
    | Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 19:32:48 -0400
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    |
    | I am doing in page_load of a webform ....
    |
    | It is so funny it is printing
    | <b>Model Number: </b> <%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem,
    "lastname")%>
    | 8 times which is equal to number of records
    |

    | "Daniel Walzenbach" <> wrote in message
    | > Jay,
    | >
    | > when get's your code executed? Did you place it in any eventhandler or
    how
    | > is the structure of your application?
    | >
    | > Regards
    | >
    | > Daniel Walzenbach
    | >

    | > "Jay Villa" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    | >>i can see it has records .... in the dataset ...
    | >>

    | >> "Daniel Walzenbach" <> wrote in
    message

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Sep 5, 2005
  7. Jay Villa

    Jay Villa Guest

    Here is the complete template in aspx page of datalist
    <asp:datalist id="dataListQueue" style="Z-INDEX: 101; LEFT: 8px;
    POSITION: absolute; TOP: 8px"
    runat="server" RepeatColumns="1" BorderColor="Black"
    GridLines="Both">
    <HeaderTemplate>
    Sheriff Queue
    </HeaderTemplate>
    <ItemTemplate><B>Model Number:</b><%# DataBinder.Eval
    (Container.DataItem,"userid")%>
    </ItemTemplate>
    <FooterTemplate>
    @Allegheny County(R)
    </FooterTemplate>
    </asp:datalist>

    Jay Villa, Sep 5, 2005
  8. Jay Villa

    Jay Villa Guest

    Never mind .... I deleted the Datalist and created again .... it is working
    fine .... Thanks for your help

    -Jay

    Jay Villa, Sep 5, 2005
  9. Well, glad that everything work well again.
    If there're any further things we can help later, please always feel free
    to post here.
    Good Luck!

    | >> |
    | >> |