How to brush up java skills.

Linuxmank

This may sound weird so please go easy on me. I have only one year of
experience in java and from past six month I am not in touch with java
as I am unemployed
as a result I am feeling rusty on java.
I am too lazy to take a book and start reading over again.
As a result wanted to start a home grown project using OSGI technology
or a project on GWT (like google analytics).
So that this home grown project can brush up my skills again and also
allow me to learn new thing while taking me toward seniority in
development. You never know this project can come up into main stream
in open source community.

But looking for a job is only on my high priority list

What you advise guys..
Any mentoring help will be really appreciated.

Many Thanks

Sorry for any inconvenience caused by me

Arved Sandstrom

Linuxmank said:
This may sound weird so please go easy on me. I have only one year of
experience in java and from past six month I am not in touch with java
as I am unemployed
as a result I am feeling rusty on java.
I am too lazy to take a book and start reading over again.
As a result wanted to start a home grown project using OSGI technology
or a project on GWT (like google analytics).
So that this home grown project can brush up my skills again and also
allow me to learn new thing while taking me toward seniority in
development. You never know this project can come up into main stream
in open source community.

But looking for a job is only on my high priority list

What you advise guys..
Any mentoring help will be really appreciated.

Many Thanks

Sorry for any inconvenience caused by me

No inconvenience at all, and it's certainly not weird.

My own recommendation would be to design and implement a J2EE
application. Choose the purpose of the app to be such that it will also
exercise a fair amount of J2SE APIs. I can assure you that by the time
you finish implementing a useful web application, that uses much if not
most of the J2EE stack, that you're not going to feel all that rusty
anymore.

AHS

Giovanni Azua

Hi there,

Linuxmank said:
This may sound weird so please go easy on me. I have only one year of
experience in java and from past six month I am not in touch with java
as I am unemployed
as a result I am feeling rusty on java.
I am too lazy to take a book and start reading over again.
As a result wanted to start a home grown project using OSGI technology
or a project on GWT (like google analytics).
So that this home grown project can brush up my skills again and also
allow me to learn new thing while taking me toward seniority in
development. You never know this project can come up into main stream
in open source community.

But looking for a job is only on my high priority list

What you advise guys..
Any mentoring help will be really appreciated.

Many Thanks

Sorry for any inconvenience caused by me
If I were you I would prepare and take couple of good match Java
certifications e.g. SCJP (Programmer) or SCJD (Developer with assignment),
even if you have experience I am sure you will learn a lot studying for
those and it might even give you an edge on the market. I don't know in your
country but e.g. here in Switzerland AFAIK the course + study materials +
exam costs generally would be paid by the unemployment insurance.

If OTOH you want to become a guru just try to answer all questions popping
in this newsgroup :)

Good luck with your job hunt.

Best regards,
Giovanni

Arne Vajhøj

Linuxmank said:
This may sound weird so please go easy on me. I have only one year of
experience in java and from past six month I am not in touch with java
as I am unemployed
as a result I am feeling rusty on java.
I am too lazy to take a book and start reading over again.
As a result wanted to start a home grown project using OSGI technology
or a project on GWT (like google analytics).
So that this home grown project can brush up my skills again and also
allow me to learn new thing while taking me toward seniority in
development. You never know this project can come up into main stream
in open source community.

But looking for a job is only on my high priority list

What you advise guys..
Any mentoring help will be really appreciated.

Being to lazy to read a book is a major show stopper.

Reconsider that !

Arne

Roedy Green

This may sound weird so please go easy on me. I have only one year of
experience in java and from past six month I am not in touch with java
as I am unemployed
as a result I am feeling rusty on java.
I am too lazy to take a book and start reading over again.

Have a look at http://mindprod.com/project/projects.html

See if any of the projects described inspire you to think of a project
for which you have heart. Implement it, and that will bring back most
of your Java skills.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"Deer hunting would be fine sport, if only the deer had guns."
~ William S. Gilbert of Gilbert and Sullivan