    i then get the hue, sat and lum values?

    thanks,

    fjodor
    Fjodor Klondyke, Jan 13, 2004

  2. Fjodor Klondyke

    chris Guest

    If you have Photoshop try the color picker. It displays the values in every
    important color system.

    chris---

    "Fjodor Klondyke" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > hello,
    >
    > colors consist of hue, sat and lum.
    > every combination of hue, sat and lum has an hex color witch one can use

    in
    > an page.
    >
    > my question is:
    > - when i know the hue, sat and lum numbers of a color, how do i get then

    the
    > hex values?
    > - and also the other way round: when i got the hex value of a color, who

    do

    chris, Jan 13, 2004

  3. "chris" <> wrote in message
    > If you have Photoshop try the color picker. It displays the values in

    every
    > important color system.

    yes i know but i need to know how to do for an application i am making.

    fjodor
    Fjodor Klondyke, Jan 13, 2004
  4. Fjodor Klondyke

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:bu17je$me5$>
    Fjodor Klondyke said:

    > - when i know the hue, sat and lum numbers of a color, how do i get then the
    > hex values?

    about half way down the page you'll find the formula:
    http://premshree.resource-locator.com/articles/fun_colors/

    i would recommend a bit of software. theres gazillions of cute little
    free ones.

    --
    brucie
    brucie, Jan 13, 2004
  5. Fjodor Klondyke, Jan 13, 2004
  6. Fjodor Klondyke

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Fjodor Klondyke" <> wrote:

    >colors consist of hue, sat and lum.

    That's one possible colour space; there are others.

    >every combination of hue, sat and lum has an hex color witch one can use in
    >an page.

    That's not automatically a given. Not all colours exist in all colour
    spaces. I know that some colours exist in CMYK but not in RGB. Not
    having worked with HSL much I can't say for sure whether the same is
    true of HSL and RGB.

    Certainly PhotoShop 7 will only let me enter integer values for Hue
    Stauration and Brightness (as it calls it). This means that the
    PhotoShop HSL colour space has only 360 x 100 x 100 = 3,600,000
    colours in it whilst the RGB colour space has 256 x 256 x 256 =
    16,77,216 colours in it, That's four half times as many.

    The value used in HTML colours is just the RGB value of a colour
    expressed in hexadecimal - RRGGBB.

    >my question is:
    >- when i know the hue, sat and lum numbers of a color, how do i get then the
    >hex values?
    >- and also the other way round: when i got the hex value of a color, who do
    >i then get the hue, sat and lum values?

    Use a program that will display both values at once. Any decent
    graphics package should be display both HSL and RGB values for a given
    colour and most modern graphics packages will additionally display the
    RGB value a hex triplet.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Jan 13, 2004
  7. Fjodor Klondyke

    West Guest

    "Fjodor Klondyke" <> wrote in message
    > hello,
    >
    > colors consist of hue, sat and lum.
    > every combination of hue, sat and lum has an hex color witch one can use

    in
    > an page.
    >
    > my question is:
    > - when i know the hue, sat and lum numbers of a color, how do i get then

    the
    > hex values?
    > - and also the other way round: when i got the hex value of a color, who

    do
    > i then get the hue, sat and lum values?

    Download and use Dot Color from this site :
    http://inetis.com/freeware.asp

    West, Jan 13, 2004
  8. Steve Pugh wrote:

    > That's not automatically a given. Not all colours exist in all colour
    > spaces. I know that some colours exist in CMYK but not in RGB.

    Well, I believe all colours that exist in CMYK do exist in RGB (and vice
    versa) -- it's just that you need infinitely granular units of each
    component colour.

    > This means that the PhotoShop HSL colour space has only 360 x 100 x 100
    > = 3,600,000 colours in it whilst the RGB colour space has 256 x 256 x
    > 256 = 16,77,216 colours in it, That's four half times as many.

    In fact, in PhotoShop's world (which is a fairly standard way of doing
    HSL) the HSL colour space is even more limited than that.

    Consider the following colours in HSL:

    (1,0,0)
    (2,0,0)
    (360,0,0)
    (1,1,0)
    (360,1,0)
    (1,100,0)
    (360,100,0)

    All are pure black -- there are just 36000 ways of specifying it! Whereas
    with an RGB colour space, each of the 16777216 colours is unique.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Jan 13, 2004
  9. On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 18:50:58 +0000, Toby A Inkster wrote:

    > Consider the following colours in HSL:
    >
    > (1,0,0)
    > (360,100,0)
    >
    > All are pure black -- there are just 36000 ways of specifying it! Whereas
    > with an RGB colour space, each of the 16777216 colours is unique.

    Interesting point. Is there a programmatic way to compare colours for
    equality in HSL space?

    --
    Some say the Wired doesn't have political borders like the real world,
    but there are far too many nonsense-spouting anarchists or idiots who
    Owen Jacobson, Jan 14, 2004
  10. Owen Jacobson wrote:

    > On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 18:50:58 +0000, Toby A Inkster wrote:
    >
    >> Consider the following colours in HSL:
    >>
    >> (1,0,0)
    >> (360,100,0)
    >>
    >> All are pure black -- there are just 36000 ways of specifying it! Whereas
    >> with an RGB colour space, each of the 16777216 colours is unique.

    > Interesting point. Is there a programmatic way to compare colours for
    > equality in HSL space?

    The simplest way is to convert to RGB and compare there, although I'm sure
    there is some way to do it in the HSL space directly.

    Conversion algorithm is here:
    http://130.113.54.154/~monger/hsl-rgb.html

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS