how to call and show a framed page from a non frame page?

Bruno Köller

I have a frame based website with an addional non frame entry page.

In this entry page I want to insert links to my other pages which are
normally shown in a frame when calling them from default.htm which is the
main frame page.

How can I make these links first opening the main frame page and then
automatically jumping forward to the desired page as if the standard link to
it in the frame page was clicked?

Roy Schestowitz

Bruno said:
I have a frame based website with an addional non frame entry page.

In this entry page I want to insert links to my other pages which are
normally shown in a frame when calling them from default.htm which is the
main frame page.

How can I make these links first opening the main frame page and then
automatically jumping forward to the desired page as if the standard link
to it in the frame page was clicked?

I used to have a similar problem. That's one of the many reasons to avoid
frames.

One thing I can suggest, as you already mentioned, is opening the main frame
page. You can then pass it some extra information, e.g. an ID like
#contactus, and use some JavaScript (or the like) to analyse the referring
page and re-direct so that one of the frames will change.

I believe that there are also server-sides features that you can employ.

Roy

Si

Bruno said:
I have a frame based website with an addional non frame entry page.

In this entry page I want to insert links to my other pages which are
normally shown in a frame when calling them from default.htm which is the
main frame page.

How can I make these links first opening the main frame page and then
automatically jumping forward to the desired page as if the standard link to
it in the frame page was clicked?

Your could use the format <a
href="http://mysub.mymain.co.uk/mypage.html" target="_top">my page</a>.
This will be OK in transitional html. I would suggest, given the cheap
cost of hosting these days to go for a basic personal hosting package
that will allow you to host your domain within your 'website hosting'.
This will avoid the problem you describe and a whole host of others,
such as bookmarking and search engine links etc.

If you cannot tranfer your domain because you got it free and are now
'trapped' into keeping it where it is, try a registrar such as ukreg.com
or the many other that you may be able to register an alternative url
and host it without frames.

Si

Si said:
Your could use the format <a
href="http://mysub.mymain.co.uk/mypage.html" target="_top">my page</a>.
This will be OK in transitional html.

Oops, forgot to mention that it is best not to use transitional html
nowadays, there will come a point when some of the 'older' markup may
not work, especially with the forthcoming IE7 being standards compliant.
Best to use html strict, this forces browsers to behave in a similar
[same] way so your site should be more consistent.