    How can I make these links first opening the main frame page and then
    automatically jumping forward to the desired page as if the standard link to
    it in the frame page was clicked?
    Bruno Köller, Jun 10, 2005

  2. Bruno Köller wrote:

    > I have a frame based website with an addional non frame entry page.
    >
    > In this entry page I want to insert links to my other pages which are
    > normally shown in a frame when calling them from default.htm which is the
    > main frame page.
    >
    > How can I make these links first opening the main frame page and then
    > automatically jumping forward to the desired page as if the standard link
    > to it in the frame page was clicked?

    I used to have a similar problem. That's one of the many reasons to avoid
    frames.

    One thing I can suggest, as you already mentioned, is opening the main frame
    page. You can then pass it some extra information, e.g. an ID like
    #contactus, and use some JavaScript (or the like) to analyse the referring
    page and re-direct so that one of the frames will change.

    I believe that there are also server-sides features that you can employ.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com
    Roy Schestowitz, Jun 10, 2005

  3. Bruno Köller

    Si Guest

    Bruno Köller wrote:
    > I have a frame based website with an addional non frame entry page.
    >
    > In this entry page I want to insert links to my other pages which are
    > normally shown in a frame when calling them from default.htm which is the
    > main frame page.
    >
    > How can I make these links first opening the main frame page and then
    > automatically jumping forward to the desired page as if the standard link to
    > it in the frame page was clicked?

    Your could use the format <a
    href="http://mysub.mymain.co.uk/mypage.html" target="_top">my page</a>.
    This will be OK in transitional html. I would suggest, given the cheap
    cost of hosting these days to go for a basic personal hosting package
    that will allow you to host your domain within your 'website hosting'.
    This will avoid the problem you describe and a whole host of others,
    such as bookmarking and search engine links etc.

    If you cannot tranfer your domain because you got it free and are now
    'trapped' into keeping it where it is, try a registrar such as ukreg.com
    or the many other that you may be able to register an alternative url
    and host it without frames.
    Si, Jun 10, 2005
  4. Bruno Köller

    Si Guest

    Si wrote:

    > Your could use the format <a
    > href="http://mysub.mymain.co.uk/mypage.html" target="_top">my page</a>.
    > This will be OK in transitional html.

    Oops, forgot to mention that it is best not to use transitional html
    nowadays, there will come a point when some of the 'older' markup may
    not work, especially with the forthcoming IE7 being standards compliant.
    Best to use html strict, this forces browsers to behave in a similar
    [same] way so your site should be more consistent.
    Si, Jun 10, 2005
  5. Si wrote:

    > not work, especially with the forthcoming IE7 being standards compliant.

    Hah. Don't hold your breath on that one.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Jun 10, 2005
  6. Bruno Köller

    Si Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>not work, especially with the forthcoming IE7 being standards compliant.

    > Hah. Don't hold your breath on that one.

    Well, we call can live in hope!

    They'll just keep the bug riddled engine in place anyway.
    Si, Jun 10, 2005